Cosmos 7 Speed Upgrade

Moolz

I was given an old Cosmos road bike by a colleague that emigrated. The bike is in use on my trainer and I've done around 600km so far. I have no idea how many km's its done its life but I am assuming a fair number since my colleague was an avid cyclist!

It currently has a 7 speed Shimano Exage 500EX group set that still works fairly well. 

What are my upgrade options in terms of a new groupset? It would be great if I could put on something a little more modern with a 9 or 10 speed cassette derailleur. 

My knowledge on road bikes is limited and wanted some advice on what upgrades I should be considering. Or do I rather look for a newer model road bike for the trainer?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. 

I assume you have a “wheel-on” trainer?

if this is indeed the case, you will have to look at a new rear wheel, that can fit a newer 10 speed casette. Along with this it would entail a new derailleur, as well as shifter

The trainer does not need top of the range components. You just need something that works well. 

I’d say keep it original, Cosmos bikes are nice and a bit of South African cycling history. Depending on the frame tubing it might be worth getting better period correct components. Upgrading to 9 or 10 speed would be possible but you would probably need a wheel set, derailleur, shifters, cable stops and you might need the rear drop outs reset to take the wider axle on modern wheels. There are some interesting conversions done with old frames and modern group sets. Google Neo Retro for inspiration. Enjoy it whichever way you go.

Edited by Barry_W

Thanks for the comments and advice. 

I will weight up the options and take it from there. A good service with some replacement parts would be good and I could use the bike on a the trainer for a whole lot longer. 

If I could get it up to a neo build - I may even take up some road riding if things work out. 

If you go Neo-Retro then look for a second hand bike complete with the group set you want, maybe one of the less desirable Alu frames :) or something in an odd size that’s a bargain, you will get the full group set for a lot less than buying it as a group or bit by bit. The frame can be donated or sold on to offset some of the cost.