Outer lower leg pain

Its shin into knee, but feel alot like shin splints but also into the outside of the knee. 

You are right about the stretches not hurting. 

This leads me to think you may be right

I have prosthetic inner soles custom made for my foot. Likely cause is cleat position. I'm going to play around a bit.

I seem to recall moving my cleats all the way back at one stage, but cant recall if I only did it on the one foot where I was getting some pain or if I did it on both.

I once picked up a very ITB like issue with my right knee. I think it was caused by a bent pedal axle on that side. It took a new axle and lots of stretching to get rid of. I don't think the importance of stretching is emphasized enough, especially for cycling. Or perhaps it is but people, me included are too lazy to. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once picked up a very ITB like issue with my right knee. I think it was caused by a bent pedal axle on that side. It took a new axle and lots of stretching to get rid of. I don't think the importance of stretching is emphasized enough, especially for cycling. Or perhaps it is but people, me included are too lazy to. 

the last part, I'm lazy to do it.

I spent a week off the bike, then did some light(ish) rides and took careful note of where the pain was, oh and I also adjusted the cleat on that foot to be less toe out.

I've come to conclusion that it is indeed shin splints, so I have incorporated an additional stretch into my post ride routine. So far so good although the shins are still a little tender at times.

• 1 month later...

I've been monitoring this as the pain starts to come back every so often (although much milder) and I think I have narrowed down the problem to my shoes.

I've been keeping them with a bit of play in the front section to give my toes extra space to move. Then a week or 2 back during a longer ride when I felt the pain coming on I started concentrating on what was happening and realized I was keeping my foot very stiff in a horizontal position through the entire pedal stroke. So I made a concerted effort to flex the ankle (kind of over exaggerated flex) through the pedal stroke.

This showed up more than comfortable movement of the foot inside the shoe. Thats when I came to the conclusion that I'm keeping my foot stiff horizontally in order to minimize the movement.

I tightened up the velcro strap on the front portion of the shoe and after some exaggerated flexes of the ankle to loosen things up I was once again flexing the ankles slightly through the pedal stroke.

Hopefully this has sorted it out. I'll continue to monitor and do the stretches.

Don't listen to any of the responses given to your question. Go and see a real medical doctor.

These guys are cyclists (apologies to anyone who is actually a doctor).