Bike Touring Tent

Jaco Greeff

On 8/9/2021 at 3:01 AM, Baracuda said:

I have one of these: https://www.naturehike.co.za/collections/hiking-tents/products/mongar-ultralight-2-person-tent?variant=2047357681696

And it is really great. Have used it in adverse conditions New Zealand and here and it seems to be waterproof. Packs really small. It is twice the width of my shoulders and one can sit up properly in it.

I have had smaller tents before, which are a real pain, especially if you stuck inside for hours in the rain. This one you can actually move in, lay out all your stuff, get changed in it, keep all your gear with you, cook under the flysheet etc.

Hey Baracuda, I am also looking at a tebnt for NZ conditions. Mainly being wind and rain.

The naturehikes seem to get good reviews, but having pitched one, I am not so sure about the material.

Currently I am looking at a Vango Halo 200 from Bivouac. Yes it is heavy (3.2kgs), but that is the compromise I am willing to make so that I can have a dry space that does not collapse in the wind, and then springs back out when it stops.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Slowbee said:

Hey Baracuda, I am also looking at a tebnt for NZ conditions. Mainly being wind and rain.

The naturehikes seem to get good reviews, but having pitched one, I am not so sure about the material.

Currently I am looking at a Vango Halo 200 from Bivouac. Yes it is heavy (3.2kgs), but that is the compromise I am willing to make so that I can have a dry space that does not collapse in the wind, and then springs back out when it stops.

I suppose it depends where in NZ. I was on South Island in the Alps, where after 3 nights in gale force winds and driving rain in the mountains, I opted for an Airbnb cottage on a farm down the road instead of the general base camp at the bottom. In those sort of conditions, eventually everything gets soaked through. But I would take a "robust tent"

Thanks guys.

I am also on South Island. Trying to find that holy grail between, weight, weather proof and one tent fits all. 

6 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Thanks guys.

I am also on South Island. Trying to find that holy grail between, weight, weather proof and one tent fits all. 

Holiday ?

Comparison document I made a while ago that might help

Compares some tents from decathlon, naturehike and First Ascent.   

tents.pdf

Edited by Nicola MTB