boksburg alberton route

The Ouzo

I've pm'd one of our esteemed bikehub member already as he would probably know, but I'll put this out here anyway.

My parents are away, I need to check up on their house once a week, decided to rather cycle there. When I plot a route on Strava using the heatmap it takes me on the Heldeberg / Van dyk rd route. What is this route like for a solo cyclist riding on a saturday/sunday morning, both direction.

image.png.baa301d2f75dd2ddd11b9345dfdcbd8a.png

Van dyk road is a Nice double lane (2 lanes both ways) but further on I am not sure we normally ride up to Osbourne, then we turn left, not so sure about the rest.

We (2 of us) rode this a couple of times without issue. Decent shoulder to ride on, although glass have been an issue going past Leondale area.

Saw some guys riding on their own as well.

Road should be fine, but like with any area these days, you can never be to safe.

11 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Van dyk road is a Nice double lane (2 lanes both ways) but further on I am not sure we normally ride up to Osbourne, then we turn left, not so sure about the rest.

I looked at turning right onto Osborn and up through Wadeville, but looking at the areas on streetview they look like they may be a bit to isolated on a weekend

I ride the Van Dyk, Heidelberg sections to Leondale almost daily and have never had any problems. Nice dual carriageway with broad shoulders. I have also done the Osbourne rd route and it is nice and quiet over a weekend and i have never felt threatened in any way

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

I've pm'd one of our esteemed bikehub member already as he would probably know, but I'll put this out here anyway.

☺️

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

My parents are away, I need to check up on their house once a week, decided to rather cycle there. When I plot a route on Strava using the heatmap it takes me on the Heldeberg / Van dyk rd route. What is this route like for a solo cyclist riding on a saturday/sunday morning, both direction.

image.png.baa301d2f75dd2ddd11b9345dfdcbd8a.png

We ride that exact section two or three times a month. There's always riders on it.

13 minutes ago, T0ppie said:

I ride the Van Dyk, Heidelberg sections to Leondale almost daily and have never had any problems. Nice dual carriageway with broad shoulders. I have also done the Osbourne rd route and it is nice and quiet over a weekend and i have never felt threatened in any way

I would agree with your post 100%.

That said, with a backup car following, we (not me, but the club members on that specific day) were hit from behind, so alone or in a group, safety is always a risk. 

From Kingfisher & Rondebult - does go through Wadeville, but it's not a problem at the best of times.

image.png.4b66116a27c556e1aef4543869d0ba6f.png

10 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That said, with a backup car following, we (not me, but the club members on that specific day) were hit from behind, so alone or in a group, safety is always a risk. 

That's true of any road in this country (and probably worldwide)

36 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

That's true of any road in this country (and probably worldwide)

what concerns me though it the 100km/h speed limit. We all know that in this country driver speed = speed limit + 50%

thanks for the info folks, I'm going to check out Frosty's route too.

Since my folks will be away for a while I'll get the chance to try a few routes out.

Thanks Frosty, I plotted your route, will give me around 27km one way, so I'll add a little extra on the way back home.

52 minutes ago, ouzo said:

what concerns me though it the 100km/h speed limit. We all know that in this country driver speed = speed limit + 50%

The same happens in the suburbs.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Thanks Frosty, I plotted your route, will give me around 27km one way, so I'll add a little extra on the way back home.

If I were you, I would come down the original route you asked about and go back through the one I showed you. That’s me.

the R554 between Rondebult and Osborn, towards Carnival City doesn’t have a hard shoulder for parts of the section in the image.

image.png.b68240d5a20f16a4242de4c4a74c7565.png

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

If I were you, I would come down the original route you asked about and go back through the one I showed you. That’s me.

the R554 between Rondebult and Osborn, towards Carnival City doesn’t have a hard shoulder for parts of the section in the image.

image.png.b68240d5a20f16a4242de4c4a74c7565.png

There's construction on that section in the direction Carnival as well.