Orbea Oiz in South Africa

GRG

The Orbea are well priced and specced.However , what is the weight like on their mountain bikes ? Curious…

I read up on the Lapierre XR models where they have redesigned their frames with some reduced weight for us weight weenies.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, FELTF1 said:

The Orbea are well priced and specced.However , what is the weight like on their mountain bikes ? Curious…

I read up on the Lapierre XR models where they have redesigned their frames with some reduced weight for us weight weenies.

Gotta love how each manufacturer, each year, announce his latest model race bike, as their lightest yet, and probably correct, as they keep on pushing the boundaries and technology and innovation improves.

Orbea seems to be right up there sitting pretty in top 3, if online information is to be believed :

Specialized S-Works Epic EVO – 1,659g.

Giant Anthem Advanced Pro – 1,735g.

Orbea Oiz OMX – 1,740g.

Specialized S-Works Epic – 1,869g.

Scott Spark RC HMX SL – 1,870g.

Cannondale Scalpel Hi-Mod – 1,910g.

Trek SuperCaliber – 1,933g.

Santa Cruz Blur 4 – 1,933g.

23 minutes ago, Morne Veer said:

Gotta love how each manufacturer, each year, announce his latest model race bike, as their lightest yet, and probably correct, as they keep on pushing the boundaries and technology and innovation improves.

Orbea seems to be right up there sitting pretty in top 3, if online information is to be believed :

Specialized S-Works Epic EVO – 1,659g.

Giant Anthem Advanced Pro – 1,735g.

Orbea Oiz OMX – 1,740g.

Specialized S-Works Epic – 1,869g.

Scott Spark RC HMX SL – 1,870g.

Cannondale Scalpel Hi-Mod – 1,910g.

Trek SuperCaliber – 1,933g.

Santa Cruz Blur 4 – 1,933g.

The competition each year is becoming stiffer with a few brands creeping up the ranks . I see the Lapierre frame ex shock etc comes in at 1.772g.

1 minute ago, FELTF1 said:

The competition each year is becoming stiffer with a few brands creeping up the ranks . I see the Lapierre frame ex shock etc comes in at 1.772g.

Wow, that is very much on the heavy side, you sure it is frame only ? with the list of big hitters quoted earlier, being weight including rear shocks. 

• 6 months later...

About to take the plunge on a 2022 Orbea Oiz M10 TR..any other issues noted by existing owners apart from the creaking?  Have noted some owners complaining about the pivot bearings and excessive play after time?

11 minutes ago, Ltd said:

About to take the plunge on a 2022 Orbea Oiz M10 TR..any other issues noted by existing owners apart from the creaking?  Have noted some owners complaining about the pivot bearings and excessive play after time?

That is a lovely machine and one I have been riding for close on a year myself.  Two of my friends are on Oiz carbon variants too, and the feedback is only positive from them too.  Not had any bearing issues or creaking, but as with any dual sus, pivots bearings need to be serviced and the wet conditions out there, will surely have an affect with time. 

Oiz is a capable machine and perfect bike for most riding / terrain in the dare I say shorter travel segment.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:22 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I love that colour Morne, Military Green 🤙

Any excuse to post another photo of mine, I'm really digging is bike.

Oiz3.JPG

Any reason you decided not to fit a dropper, Buff? I see the internal routing port is there, and they are useful, as you would know - just curious?

On a fun note; I cycled so many years WITHOUT a dropper (i.e. before they were invented), that when I finally fitted one, I stuck a REMINDER on my handlebars that I HAD one - battling down some gnarly trail only to realize - duh - I have a dropper!

Hey Chris, this is going to sound terribly windgat but I've always said that if my friends with dropper posts can drop me on any technical descent then I'll fit one to my bike... and that hasn't happened yet 😊 I'm not sure if it's my riding style or just years of riding with a standard post but I just never find the seat to be in my way or to hit me in the butt while descending. For the extra weight and cost, those few seconds someone gains in the descent get wiped out on the climbs very quickly.

I totally understand it for Enduro riding or Downhill but on an XC bike I'm not convinced it's a necessity.