Orbea Oiz in South Africa

GRG

On 10/27/2021 at 7:05 AM, Dappere said:

The Supercaliber has some characteristic that you would enjoy coming from a hardtail, but can state with certainty its defiantly not a hardtail, or a softtail as some people allude too. The 60mm of travel out back does feel like a bit more than 60mm, but its not as plush as that of my previous Top Fuel with a 115mm out back. 

Getting the setup correct can take some playing around with. The suggested suspension settings is a great start, but found I am about 10 psi lower than the suggested and playing around with tokens also helped the shocks feel. 

Depending on your type of riding and goals, the bike might be an option for you. Till date I can only speak good of my experience with the bike. Got some PRs on climbs (to be expected) and descends. The bike is very responsive and wants to be pushed.

Best to go to a Trek dealership and try one to see if the bike would suit your needs.

Thanks for the info, it definitely is an option. Test rode one last year at Wolwespruit, and it is as you say, quick both down and up! The 2022 colourway is great! 

What type of riding do you do? Would you use it for an Ultra, something like Trans of Attakwas? I'm asking, because as a bike to ride marathons or training rides at Wolwespruit, it for sure is suitable enough!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to the guys at Cyclelab, the next consignment of Orbea bikes only arrives Mid-December, and I reckon that is a rough estimate!

4 hours ago, GRG said:

Spoke to the guys at Cyclelab, the next consignment of Orbea bikes only arrives Mid-December, and I reckon that is a rough estimate!

Good things are worth waiting for... ???? I have seen the new Orbea bikes at cwc even their e-bike looks great, best looking e-bike to me. I would wait for the Oiz if you have a bike currently because they look great and it's not something you see everywhere. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:48 PM, GRG said:

Thanks for the info, it definitely is an option. Test rode one last year at Wolwespruit, and it is as you say, quick both down and up! The 2022 colourway is great! 

What type of riding do you do? Would you use it for an Ultra, something like Trans of Attakwas? I'm asking, because as a bike to ride marathons or training rides at Wolwespruit, it for sure is suitable enough!

I mostly ride ride Bottelary, Stellenbosch and Tygerberg, distances anything from 40 to >100km.
As for events, I try and do most of the local one's. The next one on my calendar is the Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch.

I am doing the attakwas next year, also the epic and the Supercaliber is the bike I am using on those events. 

To date I have done long rides on the bike that was a mix of flowy single track to some rather technical sections and climbs. Bike was comfortable throughout - noting to complain about. I did however add a dropper to the bike and changed the integrated handlebar/stem to a normal bar and stem until I am hundred percent happy with my fit. Only then will I evaluate if the  integrated handlebar's fit is right for me.

To your question: Would the bike be right for you, well it depends on the type of rider you are? The bike requires you to do some work in certain sections and then in other sections less work. As mentioned the 60mm out back does feel more than 60mm, but this isn't a bike that will feel as subtle as say the 115mm travel of my previous Top Fuel. 

I can't stress this enough, you need to set up the bike correctly and this can only be done by putting in some time in the saddle and tweaking.

From my perspective, I think for the listed races the bike would be perfect, as it's the bike I would ride those races on, but that might be different for you. I like the bike so much, that I would probably buy another one.

Without going in circles, what are you looking to get from your next bike? Maybe I can shed some light on those areas.

I can confirm that Cyclelab are officially the new and exclusive "importers" of Orbea Bikes to South Africa.  A small shipment arrived about two months back, with most of these having gone to their Gauteng base first, and a few pre-orders sales done locally by CWC.   A larger shipment is expected mid December / January, and I know many folk are crossing fingers in the hope that the ETA will be met - the Oiz surely looks the part, and international reviews have been right up there.  The Oiz will be available in the racier 100MM suspension option and then a slightly more forgiving, and more playful 120MM model, with dropper post as standard. 

Thanks in no small margin to the good folk at CWC, I managed to get my hands on a Orbea Alma Team via pre order. Upon taking delivery I was informed that this unique finished OMX Carbon frame will be the only one to come to SA ????. Ever grateful to CWC for all their effort to ensure the bike got here despite the massive challenges with production, and the obvious delays in the cycling and shipping industry. I attach an image of the bike as taken in studio after delivery by well known, Chris Hitchcock ????

Can't wait to see the full range of Oiz and other models on the floor in next year, as Orbea internationally is a very strong and respected brand, and has taken many athletes in various disciplines to podiums and world titles.....on the MTB scene, Julien Absolon was their star athlete at the time.  Excited to see them back in SA, now with a strong force behind them.

ps:  should do a spell check before posting next time, then I do not have to do so much editing afterwards ????

3.jpg

Edited by The Captain

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone!

Thanks to all for the info and advice, in the end I settled on one of the last Orbea bikes available for now. I cannot be happier with the bike, it is a major upgrade!! (Oiz M Team, dark blue frame, absolute stunner!)

I must say, I am very impressed with the level of service from Cyclelab, it was a seamless process!

The next shipment of Orbea bikes is set for End of Feb 2022, and they only have selected models on that consignment. If interested, best would be to speak directly to Francois at Cyclelab Fourways, he seems to be the Orbea guy.

Cheers!

17 minutes ago, GRG said:

Good afternoon everyone!

Thanks to all for the info and advice, in the end I settled on one of the last Orbea bikes available for now. I cannot be happier with the bike, it is a major upgrade!! (Oiz M Team, dark blue frame, absolute stunner!)

I must say, I am very impressed with the level of service from Cyclelab, it was a seamless process!

The next shipment of Orbea bikes is set for End of Feb 2022, and they only have selected models on that consignment. If interested, best would be to speak directly to Francois at Cyclelab Fourways, he seems to be the Orbea guy.

Cheers!

Awesome, congrats on your new steed. 

1 hour ago, GRG said:

Good afternoon everyone!

Cheers!

congrats... peek cha?

1 hour ago, GRG said:

????????????

IMG_20211115_170806.jpg

IMG_20211115_173606.jpg

Very nice. In the sun you should be able to see the carbon weave. 

1 hour ago, GRG said:

????????????

IMG_20211115_170806.jpg

IMG_20211115_173606.jpg

Yoh that's nice... enjoy it bud. Looks like it wants to go fast, dont slow it down too much ????

2 hours ago, babse said:

Yoh that's nice... enjoy it bud. Looks like it wants to go fast, dont slow it down too much ????

Defenitely faster than I am used to!!

2 hours ago, DJuice said:

Very nice. In the sun you should be able to see the carbon weave. 

For sure, the dark colour changes with the light, it really is nice!