100 miler - Boksburg to Vaal

The Ouzo

My longest ride on Strava is 110km. Since lockdown I've enjoyed watching youtube stories and also reading stories here on the hub of folks that have done longer distances and it appeals to me.  Not quiet the bike touring thing with bags etc. just yet, but I would like to start off with breaking the 100 mile barrier.

Whilst I do most of my cycling alone, I would like to do this one with a mate. So I ran the idea past him and based on the 110km route we did in march as a "virtual CTCT" he was not keen to head out north to pretoria, but rather out south.

It got me reminiscing of the old FastOne days where we would end near the Vaal and have the family meet us there for a picnic.

Has anyone headed out that way on tar, any routes to avoid, any routes I MUST include for whatever reason. Any good places that are must stops along the way for a beverage or snack ?

The idea is a chilled ride, the only stat to keep an eye on during the ride being the mileage.

I remember seeing this route discussed a while back - albeit from the South I think it was. Obviously can't find those posts on the forum to reference to now. But I will be keen on doing something similar at some point early next year as a trainer for R2TS so will be looking out for replies here

23 minutes ago, Jay F said:

I remember seeing this route discussed a while back - albeit from the South I think it was. Obviously can't find those posts on the forum to reference to now. But I will be keen on doing something similar at some point early next year as a trainer for R2TS so will be looking out for replies here

most folks seem to do it on gravel, and I've been sent a possible gravel route, but I'd like to stick to tar

Hi, check out AudaxSA - they start at 200km????, but are good fun and you can have some company as well.  Once a month there are rides.

Unfortunately the next one is same date as 947, but maybe keep in mind for next year.

Some routes head South towards Heidelberg, Vereeniging, Nigel, Devon, Balfour, etc.

Fortunately wind is not an issue on that side????

best way to find new routes is to get lost.

My mates would get mad when I take them down a road only to find a dead-end, but then occasionally I’ll find a gem hidden from the masses.

45 minutes ago, Frosty said:

My mates would get mad when I take them down a road only to find a dead-end, but then occasionally I’ll find a gem hidden from the masses.

I just dont want to land up in a dodgy area (I mean more dodgy than the deep south :) ) 

42 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I just dont want to land up in a dodgy area (I mean more dodgy than the deep south :) ) 

I've ridden on the road from Alberhoughton to Parys and back on most of the little 'back roads' and you need to clearly be cautious but I managed ok and would do it again anytime but that's maybe just me?

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Absolutely love exploring ????

Im keeping an eye on this thread to see  how it develops  .Im keen on a 160 km plus ride on tar or gravel . My longest ride since starting to ride again is 110 km on road at a 28kph average so if you are faster than that ill give it a miss .

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

The dodgy areas are in other directions, unless you end up in VanderVuilPark