Ebike - Tyres

Sepia

Gooday All

What should I be looking for in replacing my tyres on an eBike?

I use the bike mostly for gravel under load with some tar here and there and the tyres don't seem to last as well as they did prior to fitting the electric motor.  I now need to replace both tyres again and this is a costly expense. (cost more than my car tyres.)  I am not too clued up with eBike tyres/tyres in general and would appreciate some advice from those who know about this stuff. 

I have used Schwalbe Land Cruiser. Mountain King and Marathon, all tubeless.  The Marathon tyres lasted very well but grip was lacking and would prefer a tyre with more grip.  It must be tubeless, puncture resistant as possible and able to take a load.  40 - 45mm is the preferred width and weight is not an issue.  

Suggestions and advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Sepia

Ok I don't have an e-bike, but based on the weight of an e-bike and my fat ass, I cant believe that the use of tires are different than for normal bikes. The Maxxis Forecasters I have on my Scott is working very well. I cant say that the grip is higher than other tires, but i have not felt that it needs more grip yet (i reckon i ride fairly aggressively on technical sections). I must say i prefer not to ride through a lot of mud because of the cleaning required afterwards.

ITO wear, it is reasonable to expect faster wear if you fit an electric motor, especially on rear tire as you can put higher shear forces through it for longer times due to the motor assist.

Here is a list of tyres that I was looking at for my wife's e_bike. Vittoria Barzo 27.5 x 2.60 TNT Graphene 2.0 and Pirelli Scorpion 27.5 x 2.6 Enduro Mixed/TL Tyre. Also look at Maxxiss Minion DHF (if you can find any), Specialized tyres for e-bikes also looks good.

As mentioned, it is a gravel bike and can take a max of 45mm.  width tyre.  I am aware there are mtb tyres out there which will not fit due to width.

45mm max is what I need

The torque on back wheels stands to reason and this is why the tyres are wearing to such a degree.

My question and request is....... what tyres are recommended by those in the know?

I have tried double skin tyres (Gatorskin and On one)  and they are puncture proof but the wear remains the same.

Do I get expensive tyres or cheap Avalanche tyres which will have to be replaced more frequently?

Hutcheson Toureg(sp) 40mm or Maxxis Rambler 40mm.  I can get both cheaper than usual  and the Hutcheson is half the Maxxis price.  Both are 120tpi????

@SepiaI have found Maxxis Ravager pretty hard wearing. (I suspect that they are the Crossmarks of the gravel world) Whether stock is available may be another question......

Edited by Dusty

1 hour ago, Dusty said:

@SepiaI have found Maxxis Ravager pretty hard wearing. (I suspect that they are the Crossmarks of the gravel world) Whether stock is available may be another question......

Thanks Dusty, just what I wanted to hear.  Have managed to locate two at R600 ea so I guess the bullet is bitten.

My Ebike is more my enduro bike, and with it's mullet setup, I struggled to find a 650b tyre a while back in 2.6".   Clearly you are all running more XC rubber but the Maxxis DHR2 have been great in EXO+.

I could only find a Bontrager SE5 TEAM (or something like that in name) as the profile was agressive enough, but firstly at R1500 it's laughable and a complete RIP OFF, and secondly what a piece of ****.  Side knobs ripping, wearing faster than anything, and totally really just ****** after less than 250km and hardly any tar.

May try schwalbe next if maxxis still unavailable.  But Bontrager?  GFY!

45 minutes ago, Simon123 said:

My Ebike is more my enduro bike, and with it's mullet setup, I struggled to find a 650b tyre a while back in 2.6".   Clearly you are all running more XC rubber but the Maxxis DHR2 have been great in EXO+.

I could only find a Bontrager SE5 TEAM (or something like that in name) as the profile was agressive enough, but firstly at R1500 it's laughable and a complete RIP OFF, and secondly what a piece of ****.  Side knobs ripping, wearing faster than anything, and totally really just ****** after less than 250km and hardly any tar.

May try schwalbe next if maxxis still unavailable.  But Bontrager?  GFY!

Specialized has some nice options for ebikes, even 27,5.  While hunting for Maxxis I considered going with Spez.

But the OP is looking for GRAVEL BIKE tires, for an ebike.  I have 700C50 slicks on my "gravel bike" (hard tail MTB).  In gravel bike size the nobblies seems petite .... the motor may eat up those tires in no time.

Would love to hear of any "intermediate" type gravel tyres that lasts on an ebike .... until then, the slicks on mine looks good after 2 000 km, mostly tar riding

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Specialized has some nice options for ebikes, even 27,5.  While hunting for Maxxis I considered going with Spez.

But the OP is looking for GRAVEL BIKE tires, for an ebike.  I have 700C50 slicks on my "gravel bike" (hard tail MTB).  In gravel bike size the nobblies seems petite .... the motor may eat up those tires in no time.

Would love to hear of any "intermediate" type gravel tyres that lasts on an ebike .... until then, the slicks on mine looks good after 2 000 km, mostly tar riding

Whaaat?  Gravel eBikes?   Is that even allowed?   Wont the hipster brigade kill him when they find out?

3 minutes ago, Simon123 said:

Whaaat?  Gravel eBikes?   Is that even allowed?   Wont the hipster brigade kill him when they find out?

They would probably start a thread: "Should ebikes be allowed on groomed dual parallel trails?"

PS ... As long as he puts flat bars on, the hipsters will just snigger and leave him be ....