Robinson pass - safe to ride?

Stephan

I'm thinking of doing Robinson Pass from Oudtshoorn side and down to Mosselbay. On Strava it looks like about 300 people have done this ride, which makes me think it's not the most popular ride? Is it safe? 

I ride this often on motorcycles. I really believe you would be safe from a security point of view. Traffic as always is probably your biggest danger. Large trucks do travel that route. On the south side there are great gravel routes through to Mossel Bay, Groot Brak etc. 

It is a beautiful pass.

Yeah, it is safe. I have done it a couple of times. Biggest concern is just traffic as most of the descent towards Mossel Bay does not have a shoulder and the road is quite narrow (shoulder only starts a few kms outside Brandwag). Suggest doing this early in the morning.

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I am old fart but would not do it . Just because of traffic. The road is narrow and winding and it is silly season. You will have lots of drivers leaving Oudtshoorn and surrounds for a day at a beach . Sorry to be negative but I observe the drinking and driving habits of people in this area.

Not to mention the idiots texting ect while driving. If you are riding a Mtb, and are looking for a lot of fun and endless suffering, to enjoy a amazing view, stop your vehicle at "Kobus se gat" and ride Swartberg pass. 

Edited by corrie.kuilder

Done Robinson pass a couple of times from the Oudtshoorn side but never during peak season.

Compared to a normal morning ride in the Cape Town south it was pleasantly rustig. So it's probably quite subjective depending on what traffic conditions you're used to. 

But definitely try make sure you hit it early.

Also I've always turned off onto the dirt at Eight Bells so haven't had to deal with the flatter section towards Mossel Bay which is what @Smartie I assume is referring to.

Edited by NC_lurker
Spelling correction - Robinson

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Calitzdorp at the moment and need to get to either Mosselbay or George on Friday. Robinson Pass was one of the options I considered, but traffic safety was/is my concern. I'm going to skip it and rather go over Montagu Pass to George. 

Corrie, I did Swartberg twice last year, so will skip it this year, but I'll be back in 2022. :)

To avoid confusion, I see people call it Robertson Pass as well. I've always known it as Robinson Pass. It's the road between Oudtshoorn and Mosselbay, the R328. 

9 hours ago, Stephan said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Calitzdorp at the moment and need to get to either Mosselbay or George on Friday. Robinson Pass was one of the options I considered, but traffic safety was/is my concern. I'm going to skip it and rather go over Montagu Pass to George. 

Corrie, I did Swartberg twice last year, so will skip it this year, but I'll be back in 2022. :)

Good . Getting to Oudtshoorn either via the old cement road or Kruisrivier , Lategansvlei and then Paardepoort and Montague is safe and beautiful but you know that 😎

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Good . Getting to Oudtshoorn either via the old cement road or Kruisrivier , Lategansvlei and then Paardepoort and Montague is safe and beautiful but you know that 😎

That’s a big ride in one go shewie 

Another option (assuming you have a gravel bike) from Calitzdorp is to go over Rooiberg Pass to Vanwyksdorp and then over Cloete's Pass to Mossel Bay. Also a big day out (176km) but  Cloete's Pass is great. There's a pub 2km down the south aside - handy for a water refilll.

12 hours ago, Tomik said:

Another option (assuming you have a gravel bike) from Calitzdorp is to go over Rooiberg Pass to Vanwyksdorp and then over Cloete's Pass to Mossel Bay. Also a big day out (176km) but  Cloete's Pass is great. There's a pub 2km down the south aside - handy for a water refilll.

Thanks. I came from that side. Did Riverdale to Rooiberg Lodge, and then Rooiberg Lodge to Calitzdorp and today Calitzdorp to Oudshoorn via the route suggested by Arno (PA Cycles) above. I checked out the Cloete Pass option. Will do it next time I'm in the area. Thanks for the advice. 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:01 AM, Tomik said:

Where's Cloete's pass, is that the one that takes you to Herbertsdale? 

I've done Gysmanshoek, Garcia, Robinson & Montagu passes but don't recognise Cloete's..

Yes, it goes to Herbertsdale. Starts just after the Gouritz crossing of coming from Vanwyksdorp. It's long but fairly gradual on both sides, the Klein Karoo side is longer. 

We rode it from Bonnievale (Eight Bells) and then traversed the Langeberg to Garcia Pass and over to Riversdale. Only issue was water - there was none after the pub!

Edited by Tomik
Additional information

10 hours ago, Tomik said:

Yes, it goes to Herbertsdale. Starts just after the Gouritz crossing of coming from Vanwyksdorp. It's long but fairly gradual on both sides, the Klein Karoo side is longer. 

We rode it from Bonnievale (Eight Bells) and then traversed the Langeberg to Garcia Pass and over to Riversdale. Only issue was water - there was none after the pub!

Thanks, been eyeing that route from Riversdale over Garcia then back via the route to Herbertsdale for awhile but at 170km'ish it's a proper long day! Plus as you've mentioned very little by way of water stops.