New dual suspension bike? Scott Spark 960 vs Trek Top Fuel 7

dupreeze1980

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Is that warantee transferable ?

PS .. that warantee was useless when my EX5 hub bearings disintegrated in less than 1000km, from NEW.  Trek was happy to sell a new hub, even stating it is a standard repair item .... Knipe_Racing made a custom puller to get the outer race out.

These biked may be okay for new buyers ... 2nd hand buyers proceed forewarned

Subsequent owners get 3 years from date of original purchase. 

I would have thought that the hub or any part of it would fall under wheels which are do have a warranty (2 years for alloy rimmed wheels and lifetime for carbon). https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/warranty_policy/

4 minutes ago, HenryS said:

Subsequent owners get 3 years from date of original purchase. 

I would have thought that the hub or any part of it would fall under wheels which are do have a warranty (2 years for alloy rimmed wheels and lifetime for carbon). https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/warranty_policy/

Very good to hear about the extra 3 years 👍

As for the hub bearings warrantee issue .... uhm ja .... just glad Louise was around to help.

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Is that warantee transferable ?

PS .. that warantee was useless when my EX5 hub bearings disintegrated in less than 1000km, from NEW.  Trek was happy to sell a new hub, even stating it is a standard repair item .... Knipe_Racing made a custom puller to get the outer race out.

These biked may be okay for new buyers ... 2nd hand buyers proceed forewarned

Lifetime warranty is on frame only - worked for me, bought a superfly in 2012 and it cracked in 2019, they replaced the frame c/w new rear shock with a Top Fuel 9.9 frame. They have my support forever. But those new SCOTTS are veeery naaaaice though.

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

How long ago was that? Trek has has had a tumultuous distribution history in SA, and if it was in the Royalty Sports days then I'm not surprised. 

Dark Horse Brands then distributed Trek  after that, but by then I've left the industry, so can't comment on them. 

Edited by PhilipV

My Trek Roscoe frame cracked and I had no issues getting a warranty on the frame. The point is that all frames CAN crack no matter what brand or price. Trek will always have my support 

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

How long ago was that? Trek has has had a tumultuous distribution history in SA, and if it was in the Royalty Sports days then I'm not surprised. 

Dark Horse Brands then distributed Trek  after that, but by then I've left the industry, so can't comment on them. 

2017/2018

I am a big Scott fan but it would be a tough one between those.

I would go with the one with better suspension as all other parts are cheaper to upgrade. 

6 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Both seem to have Judy silver.

Anyone compare new Scott with previous year.?

Nope, Trek has a Rockshox 35. As for new Scott vs previous Scott, the older Twinlock lever is miles better, but the new bike is a much better and capable bike overall.

Had a quick look at the 2 bikes. 

Spec wise I would definitely go with the Trek. Rockshox 35 gold and Fox rear vs Judy and x fusion. Some of the other bits are better as well like the SLX crank to the entry level one on the 960. 

Price is about the same, so as a Scott fan Trek has my vote on this one. 

Edited by Me rida my bicycle