New dual suspension bike? Scott Spark 960 vs Trek Top Fuel 7

dupreeze1980

Can I please get some advice in deciding between Scott Spark 960 or Trek Top Fuel 7.

Spark 960 vs the Top Fuel 7 looks very similar. Only a better front shock in the Trek?

Should I rather go for the Trek. Just concerned about resale, is Scott not much more popular?

Priority is getting the one which is the correct size for you. Sizing is vital to enjoying a comfortable and confident ride. Don't go for the wrong size cause you will end up paying school fees!

Providing you can get the right size in both bikes I'd also go for the Trek. Both are great bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The Trek is better on the downs than the Scott, while the Scott is a bit better at technical climbing. The fork on the Scott is not great, whilst the 35 on the Trek is acceptable, but not the best though. Either can be upgraded (I have a SID the classifieds if you want to straight away 😀). Last but not least for whichever bike you get, make sure you have a decent shock pump and get your pressures dialed correctly for the correct sag front and rear.

Thanks will test both. Currently on XL hardtail that I will trade in for another XL.

I like the frame storage but not enough to influence my decision. Like the now hidden back shock of the Scott too.

Still just worried if resale will be same similar between the two products.

11 minutes ago, dupreeze1980 said:

Thanks will test both. Currently on XL hardtail that I will trade in for another XL.

I like the frame storage but not enough to influence my decision. Like the now hidden back shock of the Scott too.

just remember that hidden shock adds lots of complication to working on it 

remote lock not working lekker ? cool then how much of that bike needs to be disassembled to get to the dial ? 

If you close to 1.9m in height then XL it is. Many people are actually up sizing lately. For under 60k I see a xl super calibre on classifieds.

Interesting two bikes, keen to see how your test rides go.

50 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Search the Hub ... Trek 7 frames crack ....

Trek does have a lifetime warranty on the frames for the first owner. Scott has a 5 year warranty.

The dropper on a Trek XL also has 20mm more travel than the Scott - 170mm vs 150mm.

7 minutes ago, HenryS said:

Trek does have a lifetime warranty on the frames for the first owner. Scott has a 5 year warranty.

The dropper on a Trek XL also has 20mm more travel than the Scott - 170mm vs 150mm.

Is that warantee transferable ?

PS .. that warantee was useless when my EX5 hub bearings disintegrated in less than 1000km, from NEW.  Trek was happy to sell a new hub, even stating it is a standard repair item .... Knipe_Racing made a custom puller to get the outer race out.

These biked may be okay for new buyers ... 2nd hand buyers proceed forewarned

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Is that warantee transferable ?

PS .. that warantee was useless when my EX5 hub bearings disintegrated in less than 1000km, from NEW.  Trek was happy to sell a new hub, even stating it is a standard repair item .... Knipe_Racing made a custom puller to get the outer race out.

These biked may be okay for new buyers ... 2nd hand buyers proceed forewarned

2nd hand buyers should proceed with caution on every single thing they buy ..

3 hours ago, dupreeze1980 said:

That hidden shock is either revolutionary or a gimmick that adds very little.

As I've recently welcomed a new top fuel 7 to the family I am very biased. 

I've owned the new Spark and now have a Top Fuel, so I have some experience. To get the shock out of the Spark you need to remove the cranks and take the rear wheel out. Not much more of a pain than a "normal" bike. For a home mechanic, no big deal, though I am sure a dealer will add some time for labour. The Scott shock is proprietary, so a few tools and parts are needed if you want to do a full service. Also good luck trying to get hold of a bigger or smaller volume spacer if needed.

The only proprietary item on the Top Fuel is the Knockblock, which can be neutralized by buying a part from Trek or getting the Dremel out.

As for warranty, Trek just replaced a BB on my Top Fuel 9.8XT with no fuss at all.