Head set bearings on New Scott Spark

Niels Richter

I bought a new Scott Spark RC team in December. The problem that I am experiencing is that with the design of the cabling going through the head set it appears that water get in the head set and lies in the cup of the top bearing, causing the bearings to lie in the water causing it to rust and become noisy. When I opened it up I noticed the bearing had not been greased at all. It appears that there is no seal on the top of the head set to prevent water from getting in the top bearing.

Anyone else experienced the same issue. 

Noticed a bit of corrosion on the upper headset bearing on the Spark I briefly owned. Cleaned it up with a scotch pad and some WD40. I then packed the area with Bel Ray grease reinstalled the bearing and covered it with more of the grease.

And yes, the cable integration is a pain in the rear. 

Cable integration: a solution to a problem, that wouldn't have existed if they didn't have a hoernes of cables in the first place, now causing more problems. 

Said this before, the new spark is just a dumb design. 

My riding buddy got the new Scott Spark.

I helped him with the final assembly and setup.

Issues we noted:

- The shock indicator ring dropped down, and off the shaft .... we have not been able to get it back on as yet .... will need to get it in my garage and try with a pair if picks.  The inspection hole is meant for small fingers ....

- may be an issue to get different stems ..... 

- I dont like the angles of the cables as it has to make short sharp turns to get into the headset.  purely a visual thing, everything certainly works perfectly.

- with the buldged frame around and above the BB it took two rides before he got chirped for riding an ebike .... :P

- checking the shock pressure took all of 20 seconds longer, as a screw must be undone to get to the shock.

As for everything else .... he has been setting PB's on every ride since getting this bike !!!  He swears it climbs better.  It gives him confidence on the downhills.

Having owned the previous Scott, I LOVE this new bike:clap:

EDIT - certainly noting the potential issue with water on the bearing .... will look at that .....

Edited by ChrisF

15 hours ago, stefmeister said:

Cable integration: a solution to a problem, that wouldn't have existed if they didn't have a hoernes of cables in the first place, now causing more problems. 

Said this before, the new spark is just a dumb design. 

word of the day 

Had a Merida Reacto 4000 disc in the shop recently with a gritty headset.  It uses a similar set up with the cables going through the top headset bearing - unbelievably the hydraulic hoses do as well!  Needless to say I will quote before doing any bearing replacement.  Luckily the grit was external and I could clean up without disconnecting everything.