Best bike to start with budget of R5k

Razor1972

Hi. My nephew (grown man) wants to start mountain biking and only has a budget of R5k… maybe a little more. What would be the best option? Old 26er full suspension; new hardtail 26er or cheap brand 29er. In my experience, if he enjoys Mtb, he’ll probably look at upgrading 2-3 months down the line. I’ve been in the R20k plus budget for last few years, so don’t know where to start with R5k. Any advice?

1 hour ago, Razor1972 said:

Hi. My nephew (grown man) wants to start mountain biking and only has a budget of R5k… maybe a little more. What would be the best option? Old 26er full suspension; new hardtail 26er or cheap brand 29er. In my experience, if he enjoys Mtb, he’ll probably look at upgrading 2-3 months down the line. I’ve been in the R20k plus budget for last few years, so don’t know where to start with R5k. Any advice?

What area is he living in and how tall is he ?

Edited by Phillippe Coetzee

You would be able to get an older 29er hardtail for that price. Maybe have a look at Avalanche, they have an entry level 29er with a 1x10 (I think) for around R8k

Second hand 29er hardball.

As above a new bike in that price range will not give your nephew a pleasant cycling experience.

Save up a bit and spend a little more I reckon.

5 hours ago, burger 555 said:

You would be able to get an older 29er hardtail for that price. Maybe have a look at Avalanche, they have an entry level 29er with a 1x10 (I think) for around R8k

CWC has stock of this bike. A friend was looking at it 2 weeks ago.

The next step up would be 1x11 with reasonable components, just shy of R12k .... obviously this would be an entry level air shock, very basic brakes, same for the bearings ....

this price range has various 1x12 options with some of the worst components ....

New vs secondhand .... IF you know what to look for, and IF you have some basic maintenance skills then secondhand makes sense.

9 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

What area is he living in and how tall is he ?

He’s in Pinelands Cape Town

10 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

He’s in Pinelands Cape Town

Tell him to go to NB cycles (in pinelands) and chat to Neil. They tend to carry cheaper 2nd hand bikes and should be able to sort him out. Plus then they can assist with any down the line issues. 

NB Cycles

021 531 2221

https://maps.app.goo.gl/z48cjAe7jSyW8Mn69

Edited by MongooseMan

1 hour ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

If I see a good deal I will share it, but somethings you get good deals on the hub. Nee Is is quite exspensive.

Neil (NB cycles, Pinelands) is different to Neels (Woodstock Cycle works) :)