Do wheel bearings run in?

AllenH

The wheels on my new Cypher Dash aren't as smooth as my old Momsen AL229, I've only done 100km or so on the Cypher and the Momsen I'm sure the Momsen has alot more. 

If I give the wheels a good spin on the Momsen they spin for quite a while and feel super smooth, if I do the same on the Cypher, they go around maybe 3 or 4 times and stop, they're pretty smooth but not as free.

5 minutes ago, AllenH said:

The wheels on my new Cypher Dash aren't as smooth as my old Momsen AL229, I've only done 100km or so on the Cypher and the Momsen I'm sure the Momsen has alot more. 

If I give the wheels a good spin on the Momsen they spin for quite a while and feel super smooth, if I do the same on the Cypher, they go around maybe 3 or 4 times and stop, they're pretty smooth but not as free.

spinning it while on the bike? or whilst removed?

Have you checked for brake pads rubbing perhaps

Remove wheel and hold it by hub/axle and spin to see how it freewheels and if smooth or gritty

First place to look is the disc rotors rubbing on the brake pads - make sure the calipers are lined up correctly. - Loosen the caliper mounting bolts, spin the wheel and pull the brake lever, retighten while holding the brake lever.

Just now, MajG said:

spinning it while on the bike? or whilst removed?

Have you checked for brake pads rubbing perhaps

Remove wheel and hold it by hub/axle and spin to see how it freewheels and if smooth or gritty

Spinning it on the bike, 

I didn't think about checking it with the brakes out the way, they don't feel gritty at all just feel like they are not as smooth as a bearing should feel

Just now, David Marshall said:

My opinion, no.  The new should run smoothly.  Probably the cones are too tight.  Often the case on new wheels.

Will it cause damage?

Yes, the balls and cones will wear quicker if over or under tightened.  I am assuming that both wheelsets are Shimano.  If you compare a cup and cone bearing hub (Shimano) with a sealed bearing hub the sealed bearings will feel smoother.

1 minute ago, David Marshall said:

Yes, the balls and cones will wear quicker if over or under tightened.  I am assuming that both wheelsets are Shimano.  If you compare a cup and cone bearing hub (Shimano) with a sealed bearing hub the sealed bearings will feel smoother.

Thanks, I know the Cypher is Shimano. Not 100% sure of the Momsens setup.

Ill take it in to the bike shop this weekend and just check

No 2 Hubs Feel the Same.

Different Bearings and Quality,

If it Feels Rough/Gritty  it is a Problem.

If it feels Smooth it is Fine.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Does the Cypher have cartridge bearings? I installed NSK bearings into my Rapide wheels and initially it did feel a bit tighter than the older bearings, I think the NSK get made with more of an industrial grease.

Just now, Dexter-morgan said:

Does the Cypher have cartridge bearings? I installed NSK bearings into my Rapide wheels and initially it did feel a bit tighter than the older bearings, I think the NSK get made with more of an industrial grease.

To the best of my knowledge, they are cup and cone bearings.

Just from what I googled off using the specs on the Titan site

Ball and cone bearings (like many Shimano) always feel slightly rubbish, when it feels really rubbish then you perform a service, replace anything that looks damaged or pitted, clean and new grease. Make sure you don't over tighten when you put it all together (back off about quarter turn on the locking nut).

New sealed bearings can feel a bit tight, but still feel smooth. Make sure that nothing is touching when they spin and I am sure it will get better after a few rides. If you not sure what bearings to use, ask the bike shops where they get their bearings and use the same, bearings are not all the same quality. 

all ball bearings have a running in period. This generally will occur once the bearing is preloaded and in use. A Bearing that is not preloaded will wear quickly.

What hubs are in the wheels of your bike @AllenH?

New hubs also don't spin very fast because the bearings are still full of NLGI 1 or 2 Wheel bearing grease. Used hubs have typically lost some of the grease and are run in and therefore spin faster

42 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

Ball and cone bearings (like many Shimano) always feel slightly rubbish, when it feels really rubbish then you perform a service, replace anything that looks damaged or pitted, clean and new grease. Make sure you don't over tighten when you put it all together (back off about quarter turn on the locking nut).

New sealed bearings can feel a bit tight, but still feel smooth. Make sure that nothing is touching when they spin and I am sure it will get better after a few rides. If you not sure what bearings to use, ask the bike shops where they get their bearings and use the same, bearings are not all the same quality. 

Thanks, I agree with the sealed bearings 100% but I know nothing about cup and cone. They don't feel rubbish or anything yet, so will keep an eye on it, it's also very likely the brakes are binding slightly and I will check that

39 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

all ball bearings have a running in period. This generally will occur once the bearing is preloaded and in use. A Bearing that is not preloaded will wear quickly.

What hubs are in the wheels of your bike @AllenH?

New hubs also don't spin very fast because the bearings are still full of NLGI 1 or 2 Wheel bearing grease. Used hubs have typically lost some of the grease and are run in and therefore spin faster

This is from the Titan site, I googled Ceramic Speed bearings and it appears they are cup and cone bearings. I was thinking of putting a nicer grease in them maybe but I don't have any special hub tools to open, nor do I know what I'm doing with Cup/Cone bearings

Hub-F SHIMANO MT400-B CL 15 X 110MM
Hub-R SHIMANO MT410-B CL 12 X 148MM

For Cup and cone you will have to get the bearings properly adjusted and then allow for a running in period. Correct preload is important for good longevity of the hubs.