Scott Scale 50 26" advice

Nick le Rock

Good day all. 

I have owned bicycles all my life, but have never bought secondhand. I can now buy a Scott Scale 50 26" secondhand for R5000. I would like to know if it is worth the price, or if I should try to negotiate a bit. I would also like to know what I should look for when taking the bicycle for a test ride later today.

I have some pictures I can share. They show that it is a full Deore groupset, with a Deore LX crankset. The wheels are 'Scott Components' branded.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Nick

Always negotiate. No harm in asking. 

Where is the bike based? Maybe a more experienced hubber can go with to check it out. 

If not, inspect every weld. A dirty bike could also be hiding cracks. 

If the drivetrain is rusted it means the bike was standing and most likely missed a service or two. 

Check shock and fork legs for scratches and clear signs of wear. Could indicate a lack of services and big money to spend. Also leaking oil from lower legs and seals  

Looks for cracks in the tires and feel for loose spokes.

Take both wheels off and feel if the axles are smooth. Pull on the cranks from side to side to check for loose bottom bracket bearings.

Test ride. Shift through every possible gear. Test the brakes. 

All of the above gives you negotiating power or a reason to walk away  

It is an older bike so things will need replacing so have some spare cash stashed away. 

10 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Always negotiate. No harm in asking. 

Where is the bike based? Maybe a more experienced hubber can go with to check it out. 

If not, inspect every weld. A dirty bike could also be hiding cracks. 

If the drivetrain is rusted it means the bike was standing and most likely missed a service or two. 

Check shock and fork legs for scratches and clear signs of wear. Could indicate a lack of services and big money to spend. Also leaking oil from lower legs and seals  

Looks for cracks in the tires and feel for loose spokes.

Take both wheels off and feel if the axles are smooth. Pull on the cranks from side to side to check for loose bottom bracket bearings.

Test ride. Shift through every possible gear. Test the brakes. 

All of the above gives you negotiating power or a reason to walk away  

It is an older bike so things will need replacing so have some spare cash stashed away. 

Thank you. This already gives me a good idea of what to do.

As for the price and the bicycle and model...if all checks out, is it reasonable, or should I hold out for something better.

Nice list from @Steady Spin.

My check list is very similar, and after some nasty school fees last year I added a couple of item :

. Tubeless tires ?

. Check the chain wear .... (gent put a newish cassette on a totally worn drive train ....)

. Check for signs of rust on inner cables...

As noted by Steady Spin:

. Shock wear

. Remove the wheels and feel the bearings ... often a decent indicator of the bb and neck bearings...

. Brakes

. drive train

good condition 26" sells for more than R5k

5 hours ago, Nick le Rock said:

Good day all. 

I have owned bicycles all my life, but have never bought secondhand. I can now buy a Scott Scale 50 26" secondhand for R5000. I would like to know if it is worth the price, or if I should try to negotiate a bit. I would also like to know what I should look for when taking the bicycle for a test ride later today.

I have some pictures I can share. They show that it is a full Deore groupset, with a Deore LX crankset. The wheels are 'Scott Components' branded.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Nick

Hi

Do you have a  photo or 2 ? 

Honestly, That bike is not so Hot, Components Wize. (Deore is Basic)

I would put in another 2K and buy a 29er 2x10 or 1X11 (Air Fork).

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

I doubt he will find any worth-while 29er for R7k. He would probably only start finding a decent 29er at around R10k-R12k.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, dasilvarsa said:

There is nothing wrong with Deore