Kids Bikes' Services

stevieg8

Hi All

A friend is looking to have 3 kids bikes serviced. They are admittedly cheapies but needs some brake maintenance for the one and general service for the others. Does anyone know of a LBS in the Joburg area that specializes in kids bikes ? Or should he just take them to the closest LBS ?

Considering what servicing costs, might just be cheaper to buy new bikes (if they are cheapies as described). 

Seriously though, there is nothing to these bikes, I am sure he could do it himself or there could be a hubber willing to do it for a 6 pack and a kit Kat. 

I am in PE, otherwise I would've helped. Any bike shop would be able to service these bikes. 

Time is money.  A proper service takes a few hours.  Add in the cost for some components and you quickly spend more than the cheapy cost.

Often the LBS quotes to "fix the brakes", or to replace the worn tores .... and that is all they do.  They cant afford to do more as the owner wont pay what a proper service costs.

January I serviced a 20" bike, a few weeks after it was "serviced" by a well known bike shop .... parents eventually said that it was booked in for worn tires.

The proper service rectified:

1. Wheel bearings (some balls had to be replaced)

2. Hub bearings was totally destroyed .... new axle and bb

3. Neck bearings serviced

4. Pedals shot

5. Brakes replaced

6. Inner and outer cables replaced

Basically just the seat, chain and the almost new tires was kept.

BUT, now they have a GOOD bike that can be handed down and used for years.

With three kids .... cheapest option is for your friend to invest in a few tools and to service the bikes himself

2020 lock downs made me learn bicycle maintenance... How? Watching YouTube videos.... Bicycle maintenance is not all that difficult... Make a project out of it, bikes are fun to work on... Kids in my complex would see me in the garage building my project bike, before I knew it I was the LBS of my complex for the kids and their rides. Lol

Agreed. If they are cheapies it will cost more to have them serviced than to buy new bikes.

A few years ago I fixed up and repainted a little 12" bike that I got for free. Even doing everything myself it ended up costing more than a new one.

Is this not a teachable moment? If the bikes are "cheap" then surely it is a good idea to allow the kids the opportunity to try to restore it themselves. We are living in an age where we teach our children that if something is wrong with anything we own we rather get in the car and get a new one. I mean surely this is fantastic time that can be spent together rather than just "solving the problem" for them. 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Gave more context

9 hours ago, Trevz said:

2020 lock downs made me learn bicycle maintenance... How? Watching YouTube videos.... Bicycle maintenance is not all that difficult... Make a project out of it, bikes are fun to work on... Kids in my complex would see me in the garage building my project bike, before I knew it I was the LBS of my complex for the kids and their rides. Lol

try A Shiv or Speed concept headset next time you think its not all that difficult. Even any brand new spark headset , lockouts , pivots ..

replacing a vee brake cable and housing is easy as chips , setting 7 speed gears are easy 

Bicycle maintenance is not