Bottelary MTB Trails

Nemo's Bike Life

Hi Hubbers,

I will be moving closer to Bottelary trails and was wondering if you have any trail recommendations? Looking for more technical trails, but feel free to leave other suggestions.

Thank you

Closer to Bottelary leaves a multitude of unanswered questions, like how close, in proximity to where etc?

In the absence of these facts, Bottelary has some long single track trails, some steep climbs and some gnarly DH lines with a couple of big gap jumps and other fun bits if that's your scene.

But then depending on where you live, you are in close proximity to Stellenbosch with all it has to offer, i.e. Jonkers, Simonsberg, Franschhoek side with places like Plaisir, Banhoek, Hellsend, Avondale and then over to Paarl with all it's offerings.

In fact, I struggle to think of a more central location in Cape Town as you are say at most an hour's drive from anywhere in the Cape, be it Tygerberg, Tokai, Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Paarl, Franschoek. Again, all dependent on where you start from.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, Robbie Stewart said:

Closer to Bottelary leaves a multitude of unanswered questions, like how close, in proximity to where etc?

In the absence of these facts, Bottelary has some long single track trails, some steep climbs and some gnarly DH lines with a couple of big gap jumps and other fun bits if that's your scene.

But then depending on where you live, you are in close proximity to Stellenbosch with all it has to offer, i.e. Jonkers, Simonsberg, Franschhoek side with places like Plaisir, Banhoek, Hellsend, Avondale and then over to Paarl with all it's offerings.

In fact, I struggle to think of a more central location in Cape Town as you are say at most an hour's drive from anywhere in the Cape, be it Tygerberg, Tokai, Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Paarl, Franschoek. Again, all dependent on where you start from.

We will be with in a few cycling minutes of Bottelary. I know of Stellenbosh, and tygerberg trails. Was more looking for the trail names to check out for future rides, but thanks Robbie for letting me know that there are more technical trails. Was just curious as I have heard a few people say there aren't any gnarlier trails. 

21 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Let me clarify - this is the most technical line on the Bottelary network. The rest is mainly single track and jeep track of various length and incline which I would not put beyond maybe blue IMBA rating.

Well not for the majority of MTB riders in Cape Town. Botties still has a few un-manicured single tracks, but they are getting less and less due to public demand for manicured trails, even though they have 120/140mm  dualsuss bikes. The mind boggles.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:18 PM, dirtman said:

The Zevenwacht downhill course is not part of the Bottelary network.  

Thanks, I was not aware. Good to know.

• 4 months later...

Where do you buy day permits for Bottelary ?

I only see the annual (now half year) permits on their web page.

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Where do you buy day permits for Bottelary ?

I only see the annual (now half year) permits on their web page.

At Devonvale, or the Engen around the corner, Engen at Soneike or at Attitude Cycles, not sure if Haasendal still sell permits, possibly at Zevenwacht. I havent had to buy a day permit for a while. Safest bet would be Devonvale. When are you planning to ride here, I can find out from Mark at Attitude, I’ll be there tomorrow.