Tyre (not wheel) wobble

Piernas Flacas

Hey guys, any ideas how to fix a tyre wobble? The wheel is true but ever since I topped up my sealant there's an annoying tyre wobble. The tyre seems to be properly seated and there's no air leaks. TIA.

The tire is probably not seated properly. It can form a good seal, but still not pop all the way up onto the rim. There are some tricks recommended to try help, like wiping some sealant on the inside rim in the place it is not popping out to try get it to slide up more. I normally pump the tire up to more than 3 bar and it seems to work.

I noticed once after I cleaned the inside of a  tire of old slime too aggressively, the tire would never seat properly. I think I damaged the tire.

Oops... that's exactly what I did. I cleaned the old sealant because I change brands from Ryder to Enduro. I only pumped the tyre to 2 bar, so maybe I should try 3. Thank you!

Is it MAXXIS ?

Had the same issue after about 8 months of riding on a CROSSMARK II with no visible damage - Tried to get the LBS to get a replacement from MAXXIS - They insisted it was my cars exhaust which i been using for the last 10 years to transport my bike with no issues -  ye ye ye buts that's another story.

But trying to figure out why it developed a wobble was impossible so i binned it and used a spare tire I had - could be a number of things  - Yes car exhaust position must be checked when the bike is in the carrier - could have been damaged on the trail somehow - could be a bad batch from the factory - Maybe the tire fairy got irritated with you - who knows.

2 minutes ago, Piernas Flacas said:

Oops... that's exactly what I did. I cleaned the old sealant because I change brands from Ryder to Enduro. I only pumped the tyre to 2 bar, so maybe I should try 3. Thank you!

Also check the rim ridge where the tire seats, sometimes there's gunk in there that needs to be cleaned out - if you look around just above the bead of the tire there is a thin ridge molded in the rubber. Once you have seated the tire make sure this ridge is uniform all around the tire just above the rim edge circumference

Once you mount the tire use soapy water around the bead and rim before pumping 

image.png.f3d3a220f500e23f6f77d753f2a14ee0.png

14 minutes ago, guidodg said:

put some soapy water on the rim with a brush and pump to 3 bar [no more!!]

As others have said, use soapy water. It basically allows the tire to slide into place.

Deflate the tyre completely and check that there is not a "ball" of sealant that has grown in the tyre as this is what sealant does.  Unsure if your "wobble" is a visible wobble caused by poor seating as advised above, or if there is a vibration in the wheel because of weight offset by the sealant drying out causing a wobble.

44 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Is it MAXXIS ?

Had the same issue after about 8 months of riding on a CROSSMARK II with no visible damage - Tried to get the LBS to get a replacement from MAXXIS - They insisted it was my cars exhaust which i been using for the last 10 years to transport my bike with no issues -  ye ye ye buts that's another story.

But trying to figure out why it developed a wobble was impossible so i binned it and used a spare tire I had - could be a number of things  - Yes car exhaust position must be checked when the bike is in the carrier - could have been damaged on the trail somehow - could be a bad batch from the factory - Maybe the tire fairy got irritated with you - who knows.

Yes, it is a Maxxis Ardent. It's the front one. I've had it for a while. Maybe it's getting old or maybe it's a bad batch. It was never fully straight but never wobbled that bad. I haven't carried my bikes on the car for a long while so the exhaust theory is discarded. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, guidodg said:

Will try, thanks.

35 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Also check the rim ridge where the tire seats, sometimes there's gunk in there that needs to be cleaned out - if you look around just above the bead of the tire there is a thin ridge molded in the rubber. Once you have seated the tire make sure this ridge is uniform all around the tire just above the rim edge circumference

Yes, I always check that line is always above the rim but I'll double check for gunk, etc. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

As others have said, use soapy water. It basically allows the tire to slide into place.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, LongDonkey said:

Deflate the tyre completely and check that there is not a "ball" of sealant that has grown in the tyre as this is what sealant does.  Unsure if your "wobble" is a visible wobble caused by poor seating as advised above, or if there is a vibration in the wheel because of weight offset by the sealant drying out causing a wobble.

I cleaned the tyres for any balls of gunk inside since I changed sealant brands. The wobble is visible on the outside. Thanks.

in MadMarc's pic, you can see a line/ridge on the tyre that tracks close to the rim edge. that should be equal all the way around. if it's not, the tyre isn't seated properly. If it is equal, the wobble is with the tyre itself. In my experience, if the ridge and the rim are out, a bit more pumping sorts it out with a pop

Had a similar issue, almost new Maxxis rear tire.

I used a gas-bomb on the trail.  Thought I would remove the ire and make sure the bomb did not cause issues with the Sludge ....

It was a mission to de-bead the tire !!!

Once refitted I could not get the tire to run true ....

PROPER clean ...

Soapy water ...

3 bar ...

ridge line was perfectly placed around the rim ...

It was suggested the sidewall "stretched" with the effort to de-bead it.

So now I have an almost new tire in the garage for an emergency.

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, Martin PJ said:

The tire is probably not seated properly. It can form a good seal, but still not pop all the way up onto the rim. There are some tricks recommended to try help, like wiping some sealant on the inside rim in the place it is not popping out to try get it to slide up more. I normally pump the tire up to more than 3 bar and it seems to work.

I noticed once after I cleaned the inside of a  tire of old slime too aggressively, the tire would never seat properly. I think I damaged the tire.

DON'T

57 minutes ago, Piernas Flacas said:

PLEASE DON'T

52 minutes ago, guidodg said:

I MEAN REALLY REALLY PLEASE DON'T!

I have had a tyre blow off the rim, not far from 3 Bar doing this. The bike was in the back of an X1 at a petrol station because I didn't have a compressor at that stage and didn't manage with a pump the first attempt to seat.

When it went boom it destroyed the rim and spokes, sealant went in all directions. Every petrol attendant was running or hit the deck. It took 2 days to clean the car. My ears were ringing for a few days, I had sealant in my eyes and up my nose. The wife just laughed. Really not a fun experience. I will try find a photo. Read your rim owners manual, lots of them are not rated to high pressure.

46 minutes ago, madmarc said:

This is a good 1st check.

Stans Crest have a 2,6Bar rating with a 2,3" tyre. Garage Pressure gauges are not accurate at all.

So just hammering it over 3 bar will eventually end in a bad way. Berm Peak on youtube had similar. If you google it you realise it happens fairly often.20180120_081424.jpg.521105873d202b14dd821c7f315b862f.jpg

4 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Stans Crest have a 2,6Bar rating with a 2,3" tyre. Garage Pressure gauges are not accurate at all.

So just hammering it over 3 bar will eventually end in a bad way. Berm Peak on youtube had similar. If you google it you realise it happens fairly often.20180120_081424.jpg.521105873d202b14dd821c7f315b862f.jpg

OMG, that did not end well. Good grief! Ok, maybe I shouldn't try the 3 bar. As I said before the line runs perfectly parallel above the rim in both sides. The tyre was never 100% from new but I didn't mind as it was barely noticeable. Eventually it got worse. Maybe it's time for a new one, this one is probably 1+ year old. Thanks.

What you can do as well, put a few cable ties on the seat stays with the end that you usually cut off pointing at the tyre. Trim that end as close to the tyre as possible. Then rotate the wheel and you can figure out where it is bulging or under. It is the quick and dirty way to check for bent rotors and buckled rims. But if you put a few next to each other either side you can see if it is the tyre sitting funny or bulging.