[Event] Trans Augrabies 2023

ChrisF

FOUR MONTHS to go :thumbup:

Perfect time to split the costs ....  You can register now and pay for the race entry, while only booking accommodation.  Accommodation to be paid in April, I think (just check with Lani).  Transport costs two months later ..... 

My last two races reminded me why I LOVE Trans Augrabies. 

Event 1 - a very nice family vibe at the start finish.

Event 2 - uhm jaaaa .... no vibe .... 

In contrast, Trans Augrabies is a four day family event. :clap:

Extended families booking out multiple challet's, or camp sites.  Little ones on push bikes all the way up to grand dad doing all three days with his son and son-in-law.

Once the riders are out for the day, the park rangers arrange events for the families.

Post race the park is a hive of activity and friendly banter.  En dan word die braai vure aangesteek .....

That event tent with all the service providers is just SUPERB !!

TA22-10.jpg.b857c1ee97899dee8cd428db1618da59.jpg

TA22-47.jpg.e6c44b5202043b17226bd2df94000399.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did MANY events years ago (before children), took a long break from them and then did the TransAugrabies two years ago.  The whole family joined the trip (it's actually an easy drive from Cape Town, nice open roads).  I can honestly say that this one is the most memorable.  The vibe is just different and the scenery something else.  There's something special about cycling across the Orange river with a fish eagle calling in the background.

Make no mistake, it's not an easy, flat and fast route.  I took it easy and enjoyed the experience.  And man, what an experience.

And camping at Augrabies is always worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Arno ek sien uit daarna om n braai-vuur met jou te deel :thumbup:

@DJuice sien ons julle daar ?  Al kom julle net as dag besoekers.  Bring net asseblief jou kinders se fietse saam .... die kinders SPEEL deur daai hele park :clap:

Hi Chris Please send me the contact details of the people where we can arrange accomodation - tent or chalet

50 minutes ago, Block said:

Hi Chris Please send me the contact details of the people where we can arrange accomodation - tent or chalet

The official event web page - https://transaugrabies.co.za/en/?utm_source=bikehub.co.za&utm_medium=event_listing&utm_campaign=bikehub

Race village details - https://transaugrabies.co.za/en/stage-race/race-village

On the Race village page, please click on the "Contact us to reserve a space" block. :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The official event web page - https://transaugrabies.co.za/en/?utm_source=bikehub.co.za&utm_medium=event_listing&utm_campaign=bikehub

Race village details - https://transaugrabies.co.za/en/stage-race/race-village

On the Race village page, please click on the "Contact us to reserve a space" block. :thumbup:

See the accomodation already fully booked as per Sanpark site

19 minutes ago, Block said:

See the accomodation already fully booked as per Sanpark site

The whole park gets booked out to the Trans Augrabies event :thumbup:

Kindly follow the link above. Lani or one of her team will get back to you about accommodation options.

Inside the park is logistically the easiest.  Though SANS parks are just that little bit more expensive than the many private accommodation options just outside the park.

And if you are so inclined .... Fly in and land your private plane at Dundi Lodge.   It takes up to a Pilates PC12.  Even has refueling facilities.

Dundi has top notch accommodation, and very close to Augrabies

The view when flying in to Dundi ....

SF2018-13.jpg.ae5aa79795071441ed0ac308b8f67933.jpg

image.jpeg.4e0a4586022d1392a5071b801da60e78.jpeg

Some of the Day 3 farms ....

High time we do another project up there ..... I LOVE this part of SA

Edited by ChrisF

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The count down is picking up SPEED .... :eek:

Time to get those entries in, and to secure your accommodation.

TA22-D3-12.jpg.f16a9a3e2cc2656b3af1083e83f7b791.jpg

TA22-D3-25.jpg.7a921c22393f7af7d1178481d9ea3bb9.jpg

Was going to say or time to start training!!

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Arno ek sien uit daarna om n braai-vuur met jou te deel :thumbup:

@DJuice sien ons julle daar ?  Al kom julle net as dag besoekers.  Bring net asseblief jou kinders se fietse saam .... die kinders SPEEL deur daai hele park :clap:

Chris, ons kom definitief vir n dag deur. Familie se inkoop gekry!

Of ek gaan ry, al is dit eendag is nog spekulatief, die indoor trainer maak my siel dood.

Ons het n nuwe rescue hond ingekry, Windhond en hy hou van hardloop, my vrou vat hom met haar fiets uit deur die oggend. Soos met almal in die huis, word daar heel laaste na my geluister, maar as sy hom geleer het, is die plan dat Falcon my draf training partner word soggens.

Jy verdien definitief n event ambassadeur status!!! Sien vir Lanie min, maar sal sommer eendag in die verby gaan noem vir Riaan en Pierre wat jy vir die event doen op Bikehub.

Lyk of FNB weer n klompie ryers inskryf en twee kliente van my borg.

My swaer en sy ry partner ook gekyk om af te kom, maar met sy dogter op Uni, is dit maar moeilik.

Ons streek is spesiaal, winter oggende is koud, as die event in April kon wees, sou stunning wees.

As daar Hubbers is wat inligting soek, advies oor roetes, verblyf of n probleem het, sal graag help sover ek kan.

33 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Chris, ons kom definitief vir n dag deur. Familie se inkoop gekry!

Of ek gaan ry, al is dit eendag is nog spekulatief, die indoor trainer maak my siel dood.

Ons het n nuwe rescue hond ingekry, Windhond en hy hou van hardloop, my vrou vat hom met haar fiets uit deur die oggend. Soos met almal in die huis, word daar heel laaste na my geluister, maar as sy hom geleer het, is die plan dat Falcon my draf training partner word soggens.

Jy verdien definitief n event ambassadeur status!!! Sien vir Lanie min, maar sal sommer eendag in die verby gaan noem vir Riaan en Pierre wat jy vir die event doen op Bikehub.

Lyk of FNB weer n klompie ryers inskryf en twee kliente van my borg.

My swaer en sy ry partner ook gekyk om af te kom, maar met sy dogter op Uni, is dit maar moeilik.

Ons streek is spesiaal, winter oggende is koud, as die event in April kon wees, sou stunning wees.

As daar Hubbers is wat inligting soek, advies oor roetes, verblyf of n probleem het, sal graag help sover ek kan.

Dis puik nuus.  Klink al meer na Hub-braai ... :clap:

Cold .... YES, plan on a start at 4 degrees C .... surgical gloves under your normal gloves.  Thermal vest.  Leg and arm warmers.  Buff for the neck and face ....  At the first waterpoint most of this goes onto the bakkie, and you collect it back at the race tent.  Actually makes for a very nice race for the rest of the day.

Those VIEWS ..... the cool mist over the distant koppies .... that magical sunrise ....

NOU raak ek LUS .....

PS - Ek en Lani gesels gereeld.  Saam gery by Vines and Views, en nou weer by Winelands.  (sy ry my weg .... :P)

Dare I say, THIS is why Trans Augrabies is SO SPECIAL.  It is arranged by a cyclist for cyclists. :thumbup:

Jis Chris... up until last year this have not been on my radar, but if I ever can shake my injuries this is for sure on the bucket list!!