Yet another tubeless conversion question

Piernas Flacas

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

This has the makings of a Friday thread ....

Roadies and MTB'ers talking way past each other .....

For the newbies :

1.  MTB ... avoid exceeding 2,5 bar !!

2. Road bikes ... whole different story ....

Jip. The penny dropped for me when he mentioned GY F1 tyres. 

And I've also just realised that I prefer Gorilla Tape because it costs a lot less compared to Stan's tape. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

And I've also just realised that I prefer Gorilla Tape because it costs a lot less compared to Stan's tape. 

You would probably find more people use Gorilla Tape on home tubeless than purpose made tape. 

17 hours ago, 117 said:

That was the first problem that you did. Tape shouldnt be stretched by any means. Especially insulating tape if you used this over the nipples

When the temps drop the tape (even the hallowed gt) will contract and the glue bits will not be able to hold it, it'll let go, causing the tape to lift and air to leak past. 

Maybe you'll be lucky and they'll hold a while. 

At least you've had training and can clean a rim blind folded for the next session 

And don't go near the 5bar mark as posters have forewarned. If they don't seat easily you've missed a step

Ok, maybe stretched is not the word. As tight as possible so it doesn't make bubbles, perhaps? But it's interesting what you mentioned about the temperature and the contracting of the tape. I'll see how it goes. Thanks.

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

This has the makings of a Friday thread ....

Roadies and MTB'ers talking way past each other .....

For the newbies :

1.  MTB ... avoid exceeding 2,5 bar !!

2. Road bikes ... whole different story ....

Oooohhh... that explains the 5 bar! It just didn't make sense to me. My brain has only one setting: MTB.

Where are you based? Welcome to pop round to me and I'll help you set the wheels up to be tubeless. I'm now in Jhb south. You'll be welcome to hit our single tracks afterwards to test them out too. 

I can assure you, the tape should not have any tension when you apply it (Well, for this application anyway). You don't apply tension to vinal when you plak a sticker down to keep bubbles out- same rules apply here

4 hours ago, PhilipV said:

costs .... no here is a Friday worthy item .....

R140 to R150 for Gorilla tape ... YES, prices shot up !!  Park at CWC ... walk over to OutdoorWarehouse and buy the EXACT same tape for R40 LESS ....

41 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

costs .... no here is a Friday worthy item .....

R140 to R150 for Gorilla tape ... YES, prices shot up !!  Park at CWC ... walk over to OutdoorWarehouse and buy the EXACT same tape for R40 LESS ....

Not sure if the price at Builder's went up but they advertising GT at R110 a roll

3 hours ago, 117 said:

Where are you based? Welcome to pop round to me and I'll help you set the wheels up to be tubeless. I'm now in Jhb south. You'll be welcome to hit our single tracks afterwards to test them out too. 

I can assure you, the tape should not have any tension when you apply it (Well, for this application anyway). You don't apply tension to vinal when you plak a sticker down to keep bubbles out- same rules apply here

Thank you for your kind offer. I'm sorted now. I'll keep an eye on the tape tension going forward!