Cassette Body Removal

kappiemouton1985

Hi Guys

Need a little assistance.

Need to remove a cassette body from 2021 scott spark 970. Think the bearings is busted but cant seem to get it off. It does not loosen with a allen key. Seems like the caps must come off. 

Thanks 

You'll need a cassette tool and chain whip first to get the cassette off

Google should help you locate some shops nearest to you 

When in doubt, take it to your LBS. Parts are so expensive, you faaaak it up because you tried to diy and wish that you had just dropped it off and had a pro sort it out.

The freehub? It depends on the type of Hub you have but majority of them uses an 11mm (yip you heard right) an 11mm allenkey from the non drive side to loosen the freehub. The only problem: the bearings you want to service uses another tool to get to 😁. Good luck 

17 minutes ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

@117Already took off the cassette. Do have all the tools. Just not sure how to remove cassette body.

Post a pic. Some use a 11mm alan from the front and some from inside the hub from oposit side  and alan bolt can be different sizes up to i think 17mm for Deore hubs.

Edited by Barry

40 minutes ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Hi Guys

Need a little assistance.

Need to remove a cassette body from 2021 scott spark 970. Think the bearings is busted but cant seem to get it off. It does not loosen with a allen key. Seems like the caps must come off. 

Thanks 

SRAM ?

Which model ?  NX, SX, GX ?

Post some pics ....

3 minutes ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Inside there is no hex for a allankey as far is i can see. 

Synchros hubs. Hope this could help

Sorry for the dirty parts😔

20221010_194701.jpg

20221010_194707.jpg

20221010_194712.jpg

20221010_194727.jpg

@RobertWhitehead remove the end cap the body should slide off maybe tight corrosion??

Remove the disk then you need 2x17mm cone spanners. Hold the inner nut and remove the outter cap first the unscrew the inner nut the axle will now slide out the hub from the freewheel side. You should now be able to insert a allen-key to remove the freewheel.  Good luck

@Graham W. That worked perfectly. Unscrewed the endcaps, took he axle out. Used a 14mm allen key to take out the cassette body. So far so good. 

Now next part. Is this cassette body a fixed unit or is there a way to open it? Original problem, person cleaned bike with a degreaser(thought he did good) and after a day or two this cassette body was very very dry by the sound of it. 

Want to take apart and see whats the issue, bearing in front feels fine.

Unfortunately it's a sealed unit only the outter bearing can be replaced.  Try cleaning out the ratchet side with penetrate oil WD40 is good stuff. Then try get grease back into it

36 minutes ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

20221011_073602.jpg

20221011_073545.jpg

20221011_073539.jpg

Not worth the time and effort to strip and clean. They are disposable buy a new one.

Edited by Barry

14 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

The freehub? It depends on the type of Hub you have but majority of them uses an 11mm (yip you heard right) an 11mm allenkey from the non drive side to loosen the freehub. The only problem: the bearings you want to service uses another tool to get to 😁. Good luck 

11mm allen key - hens teeth! However 7/16 freely available.