SRAM. Where to find?

NotShatterProof

Hi Hubbers,

I've done the rounds: Both at the various LBS and online. I cannot seem to find SRAM cassettes. Specifically, I'm looking for a PG1070 and a XG1175 or XG1195.

Does anyone know what is going on, why are SRAM components so hard to find? Any ideas where I can buy (in Gauteng that is)? 

All advice appreciated, thanks.

Cheers.

Thanks. The second I saw this I went there but sad to say that neither PG1070 nor the 11-speed cassettes were in stock. Guess I was too slow. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I left a "back in stock" email with them, who knows, maybe I get lucky.

It’s freaking annoying this and what’s worse is overseas online bike shops wont ship to SouthAfrica as well. 

Sram stock is hard to find locally and most international shops won't ship.

Just buy an Ultegra cassette and ride.

19 hours ago, NotShatterProof said:

Hi Hubbers,

I've done the rounds: Both at the various LBS and online. I cannot seem to find SRAM cassettes. Specifically, I'm looking for a PG1070 and a XG1175 or XG1195.

Does anyone know what is going on, why are SRAM components so hard to find? Any ideas where I can buy (in Gauteng that is)? 

All advice appreciated, thanks.

Cheers.

What gear ratios are you looking for?

If not Shimano, is there perhaps a Sunrace option that could work for you ?

I just use Aramex global shipper to ship to the local Aramex who then ship to SA.

Yes you end up paying double vat but often with shimano and sram it still works out cheaper than any online shop in SA and I don’t have to wait months for local guys to get stock.

Very seldom do I buy sram and shimano local any more.Guys most of time don’t have stock,prices are insane and offer no backup 

1 hour ago, splat said:

What gear ratios are you looking for?

If not Shimano, is there perhaps a Sunrace option that could work for you ?

I'm not too fussed about gear ratios. Normally I ride 11-36 on the 10s but I'm OK with 32 or 34 at the top. On the 11s I normally ride 11-42.

Frankly, I don't know Sunrace that well. Do they have equivalent quality? The reason I ask for the aforementioned types is that they don't rust, shift well, and don't weigh too much. So, if Sunrace has an option that ticks those boxes then I could definitely look at that.

Edited by NotShatterProof

45 minutes ago, stringbean said:

I just use Aramex global shipper to ship to the local Aramex who then ship to SA.

Yes you end up paying double vat but often with shimano and sram it still works out cheaper than any online shop in SA and I don’t have to wait months for local guys to get stock.

Very seldom do I buy sram and shimano local any more.Guys most of time don’t have stock,prices are insane and offer no backup 

Sounds like that could work. Who do you use online. My experience has been that many of the European and North-American sites will not ship to South Africa, especially not SRAM products. Or is that where the global shipper part comes in?

48 minutes ago, stringbean said:

Sad to say, but I agree. 

I'd like to support the local industry but right now I'm just not feeling the love.

If you're old school, and you ride a hardtail (or rigid SS in my case too) and you're not on 12 speed and AXS or Di2 it seems you're not worth catering for anymore.

1 hour ago, NotShatterProof said:

Sounds like that could work. Who do you use online. My experience has been that many of the European and North-American sites will not ship to South Africa, especially not SRAM products. Or is that where the global shipper part comes in?

That’s where Aramex global shopper comes in.When I joined it was for free( might be about 200 bucks now)then you get access to Aramex postal address of about 30 plus countries.If I buy something from Germany I ship to my German Aramex address who will then ship to my SA address.NOTE THAT THIS WAY YOU PAY DOUBLE VAT(country of origin and Sa)but even that often ends up less than retail price of our local online shops( just goes to show how we get shafted)and I get item in about 10 days( none of this wait for 3 months for stock stuff.Currently waiting for a s works crux from UK to arrive.Cost around 5% more than would have cost local( if local Spez had stock)and local crux eta arrival April 2023🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Just a note that I do sometimes buy local( sometimes it’s not worth the import to save 100 bucks)then Evobikes is usually my go to place.Jano goes out of his way and it’s refreshing talking to someone that knows their products.It’s just unfortunate sometimes that their hands are tied by poor suppliers.

i was at Solomons woodmead and Northcliff Cycles while up last week, and body had lots of stock

Northcliff in particular had loads: BB's, cassettes, chains, chainrings, deraillers and shifters

i am on an unending quest to find a 42 or 44t apex chainring, the one sram component i cant find

• 1 year later...

Bit late to the topic and a little bit off as well..

But does anyone know where would be the best/cheapest German online bike shop to order Sram components from? For delivery in Hamburg.

My sister lives there and is coming to visit SA next weekend. In the past she managed to smokkel in a a few small parts for me I bought online at Bike24, but they don't have in stock what I'm looking for.