Cycleops/Saris Hammer issue - what would you do?

ians H2Sport

15 minutes ago, ians H2Sport said:

Geez, that is huge mileage, double what the average car does...... I am getting loads of positive feedback on Taxc, thanks for the feedback 

Actually average mileage for cars in SA is considered 20 000 - 25 000km annually.

But thats off topic.

I cant imaging doing that kind of mileage on an IDT. Thats just insane.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Actually average mileage for cars in SA is considered 20 000 - 25 000km annually.

But thats off topic.

I cant imaging doing that kind of mileage on an IDT. Thats just insane.

I agree, I hate riding indoors. The last time I used my H2 was in lockdown 2020.

After reading your OP, i was in a very similar situation but with Wahoo. And they too indicated that I would need a new Core.

I tried to claim through insurance (momentum) without joy as to prove any form or "surge" is nearly impossible without specialized testing equipment. Even letters from the manufacturer didn't help the claim.

So long story short... i too was pissed and refused to layout another R15K for a trainer. I now have changed up my training plan and ride outdoors a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...

update on my Hammer issue:

A really smart electrical engineer mate of mine had a look at the machine. It turns out 2 chips within the resistance circuit had failed. Difficult for him to be certain, but the failure of the 1st chip could have resulted on the 2nd failure, but no evidence of a power surge causing the faults. Replacement parts from Texas Instruments cost just over $3, with the courier fee being the big cost. So it looks as if the machine is easily repairable by someone who knows their way around electronics. Once the parts have been installed I will update on how/if the machine works 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing and providing an update.

Considering it is a relatively small and easy fix, one would think that the supplier would make the relevant spares available, instead of having to scrap an entire trainer due to a small electronic component failure.

33 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

Thanks for sharing and providing an update.

Considering it is a relatively small and easy fix, one would think that the supplier would make the relevant spares available, instead of having to scrap an entire trainer due to a small electronic component failure.

This is why I believe there could be a nice home business repairing trainers - but without the importers or OEM support (which i have tried to get) we'll carry on binning them

40 minutes ago, madmarc said:

This is why I believe there could be a nice home business repairing trainers - but without the importers or OEM support (which i have tried to get) we'll carry on binning them

Fully agree guys. Either the trainer agents could contract with them to carry out repairs, or someone could set up a direct to customer business to repair machines the agent won't work on. It is super frustrating and cost prohibitive having a machine without technical support. My mate will considering doing this outside working hours. 

On 12/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, ians H2Sport said:

Fully agree guys. Either the trainer agents could contract with them to carry out repairs, or someone could set up a direct to customer business to repair machines the agent won't work on. It is super frustrating and cost prohibitive having a machine without technical support. My mate will considering doing this outside working hours. 

I'm even prepared to pay for the training - Purchase all the tools required - pay cash for spare parts from the importers - It is beyond belief that a electro/mechanical device of this value is simply binned when a component fails.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, madmarc said:

I'm even prepared to pay for the training - Purchase all the tools required - pay cash for spare parts from the importers - It is beyond belief that a electro/mechanical device of this value is simply binned when a component fails.

Yip, the 'hands off' approach from the local agents is mind blowing