bike advice

mountian_hare

Hello Hubbers, 

I'm messaging to see anyone has some advice and hear thoughts. 

I have a beautiful bike by a brand that does not have a South African agent. The suspension is in need of parts, which will be sorted. 

However, the question is more about the long term. Is it worth looking to replace my current ride with one that has a local importer? Making parts potentially easier to get a hold of. 

Thanks

Normally the brand relates to mostly the frame unless it has special suspension only made for that brand. Other than RD hanger everything else should be serviceable or replaceable. 

20 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Normally the brand relates to mostly the frame unless it has special suspension only made for that brand. Other than RD hanger everything else should be serviceable or replaceable. 

And hangers are available locally for RM.

7 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Thanks guys. Ja the hangers are fine, That was replaced recently. 

The current dilemma relates to the suspension. The system uses patented Angular Bushing Concept pivots. My bushings are starting to wear and will need to be replaced. I have not yet be able to find someone in SA who might be able to fabricate replacements. Otherwise I might have to bite the bullet and order some directly from Rocky. So this is ultimately the conundrum. 

Fine, I can fix it this time, but what about the future. Will I be able to get spares? Would it be worthwhile looking at a bike that has spares or that does not rely on such custom parts? 

Unless you can transition to something with a local presence cheaply, I'd recommend keeping it, and maybe next time when buying consider this factor.

Even local bikes are not immune to this and with the standards changing all the time the sheer volume of spares for suppliers to stock is astounding.

Example 1: Giant STP: Good luck finding a good 26-inch rim or a straight steerer fork.

Example 2: Giant Trance from a few years ago: 27.5 stuff is still around but becoming harder to find (tyres, rim).

Same with boost, etc.

End of the day there is planned obsolescence and if you want stuff always available locally, plan to buy new every 3 or 4 years. Buying locally available stuff does help but it doesn't mean you are sorted forever.

Edited by Brawler

Local distributors don’t necessarily guarantee availability of spares either. I have just been through a case where I could have ordered from Europe and had it here in 4-5 days vs waiting for the local distributor messing me about for more than a month. Maybe pre empt and order the components and have them in hand. I can’t imagine that it would be more expensive than what it would have cost to source locally if it was available. At some point you would decide that the frame has served you well and upgrade the frame.

3 hours ago, mountian_hare said:

Thanks guys. Ja the hangers are fine, That was replaced recently. 

The current dilemma relates to the suspension. The system uses patented Angular Bushing Concept pivots. My bushings are starting to wear and will need to be replaced. I have not yet be able to find someone in SA who might be able to fabricate replacements. Otherwise I might have to bite the bullet and order some directly from Rocky. So this is ultimately the conundrum. 

Fine, I can fix it this time, but what about the future. Will I be able to get spares? Would it be worthwhile looking at a bike that has spares or that does not rely on such custom parts? 

Hi, I’ll be able to sort you out whatever you need regarding Rocky Mountain bikes as Im the service agent for RSA. 
feel free to give me a call regarding 

Andre 08255118686

5 hours ago, mountian_hare said:

Hello Hubbers, 

I'm messaging to see anyone has some advice and hear thoughts. 

I have a beautiful bike by a brand that does not have a South African agent. The suspension is in need of parts, which will be sorted. 

However, the question is more about the long term. Is it worth looking to replace my current ride with one that has a local importer? Making parts potentially easier to get a hold of. 

Thanks

I also ride a RM Element 970 RSL.  André will sort you out, he got the spares you need.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback! It is most appreciated. You raise some great points, this has been a learning process. Thank you for being gracious and patient while people relearn lessons. 

I did not know that there was an RSA service agent and am most pleased to find out there is :-) 

Looking forward to seeing you all out on the trails!