Fixie or Single speed for commuting

AbuHamnah

Hey ya'll, I'm interested in buying a bicycle for commuting from home to work on a daily basis, now I know nothing about these kinds of bicycles. I've done a bit of research but still don't feel I know enough. Is it possible to get a fixie with brakes or one that has both functions single speed & fixedd gear hybrid? 

Thanks

45 minutes ago, AbuHamnah said:

Hey ya'll, I'm interested in buying a bicycle for commuting from home to work on a daily basis, now I know nothing about these kinds of bicycles. I've done a bit of research but still don't feel I know enough. Is it possible to get a fixie with brakes or one that has both functions single speed & fixedd gear hybrid? 

Thanks

The Rook bikes for instance come with a ‘flip-flop” rear hub. Fixed on the one side and SS on the other..so choose your poison depending on how you feel. They can also take brakes…or not, or just front.

https://rookcycles.com/

Edited by MORNE

54 minutes ago, AbuHamnah said:

Thanks

Is your route flat?

2 hours ago, AbuHamnah said:

Thanks

More importantly, your route and distance that you plan on travelling in a month ... I say a month as a commuter commutes every day.
Then what is your route, more specifically, are you / would you travel through areas that may have lots of thorns?

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

The Rook bikes for instance come with a ‘flip-flop” rear hub. Fixed on the one side and SS on the other..so choose your poison depending on how you feel. They can also take brakes…or not, or just front.

https://rookcycles.com/

Thanks a million Morne will check them out...

From my house it's downhill then uphill then flat & bit of an incline then flat again.... 3,9 km

Thank you for your response

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

More importantly, your route and distance that you plan on travelling in a month ... I say a month as a commuter commutes every day.
Then what is your route, more specifically, are you / would you travel through areas that may have lots of thorns?

Daily 7,8 km (Monday to Friday)..... 3.9 km to and fro... I'm based in Johannesburg, to be honest my route is not too bike friendly (mainly Marlboro drive).... the route is mainly asphalt..... Starting point from my house is a downhill then uphill then flat then a bit of an incline then flat..... 

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

11 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Is your route flat?

From my house it's downhill then uphill then flat & bit of an incline then flat again.... 3,9 km

1 hour ago, AbuHamnah said:

Daily 7,8 km (Monday to Friday)..... 3.9 km to and fro... I'm based in Johannesburg, to be honest my route is not too bike friendly (mainly Marlboro drive).... the route is mainly asphalt..... Starting point from my house is a downhill then uphill then flat then a bit of an incline then flat..... 

On a short commute like that I would rather consider a MTB single speed with a tubeless setup ... you can also run lighter gearing for that trip back up the hill again, and you have the option of getting creative with the route over pavements, through parks, etc.

I used a single speed mtb for my daily commute.

I think that I did 8000 kms a year. 

Costs were 

4 tyres

1 chain

1 BB

3 sets of brake pads.