Shimano Pedal axles

BaGearA

Let me start off by saying I'm A moerse fan of shimano pedals , sure they're not the most refined in terms of smoothness of the clip and release but damn if they aren't the most reliable out there.

I've run XT trail spd pedals for the last 6 years ( yes the same set ) and when picking up n new bike the other day i got a good deal on set of XT'S ( the normal spd ) and they hardly look like they had seen any miles.

I replaced my good ol reliables cause the pedal axles are bent , not bad but enough to bother me. Now I did short A double a few weeks quite bad but the axles were dead straight when i got them and I can't believe the new ones are nearly as bad as the ones they replaced after hardly a month.

I've ordered new axles but wanted to check if someone else had the same experience? my ol 520's might have to make a return...

Where did you get axles, i have a set of saints in my drawer that has a bent axle... and been wanting to repair them...

I expected mine to bend i smashed a rock as hard as Goku would every time he went super saiyan

52 minutes ago, Meezo said:

Where did you get axles, i have a set of saints in my drawer that has a bent axle... and been wanting to repair them...

I expected mine to bend i smashed a rock as hard as Goku would every time he went super saiyan

Have a good relationship with A store in England, just got one set tho ... and i have two sets of pedals 

But. the axles alone are nearly half of what a whole new set of pedals would cost...

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

How do you “bend” the axle? 
Serious question; just interested to know what defines bent.

Take out the pedal and then rescrew it into the crank arm but hold the pedal body in your hand and screw it in with A tool form  he other side , you'll feel the pedal wobble in your hand t

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

How do you “bend” the axle? 
Serious question; just interested to know what defines bent.

The other day I realised that any axle can bend.

My 6 year old had some aluminium VP flat pedals on his 20". He does jumps and so on, but at 18kgs I did not think that he could bend pedal axles. Well at a bike park awhile ago some other laaitie crashed into my son. Nobody was hurt. My son complained that his bike was not well. Turns out the one pedal axle was so badly bent that the pedal could not turn.

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Take out the pedal and then rescrew it into the crank arm but hold the pedal body in your hand and screw it in with A tool form  he other side , you'll feel the pedal wobble in your hand t

Sometimes you can feel it by just back pedalling by hand

On 12/8/2022 at 1:55 PM, BaGearA said:

Can you move the pedal body laterally, i.e. towards/away from the crank? I slight movement of less than a mm.

Have your pedals been serviced? I stripped my pedals, and voila… problem resolved. If the ball bearings aren’t all in place, it’s easy to feel like these are loose/have play.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Can you move the pedal body laterally, i.e. towards/away from the crank? I slight movement of less than a mm.

Have your pedals been serviced? I stripped my pedals, and voila… problem resolved. If the ball bearings aren’t all in place, it’s easy to feel like these are loose/have play.

No play or movement on either set 

Hah! Like 15 years ago people said I was crazy for saying I bent Shimano pedals. Sad to hear that the XTs now suffer the same fate as the cheaper sets. They were the only ones that lasted for me!