Afraid of Carbon

BroganThompson

On 12/14/2022 at 9:09 PM, 100Tours said:

The issue with carbon in my opinion is the risk of loosening of the pivot points in the carbon matrix - not the strength of the frames per se. I have scrapped 2 because the bearings eventually ground out the carbon frame around the bearing race, and I didn't try to repair.

Strength wise, carbon is pretty robust and almost always repairable. I have seen cracks on Titanium, aluminium, etc. but only the carbon one is properly repairable. 

Aren't the bearing cups made of aluminium? Mine certainly are in all the pivot areas...  I ride my 2015 Adrenalin carbon dual suss hard and have zero bearing issues.

17 hours ago, love2fly said:

Aren't the bearing cups made of aluminium? Mine certainly are in all the pivot areas...  I ride my 2015 Adrenalin carbon dual suss hard and have zero bearing issues.

Most carbon frames out there have the bearings pressed directly into the carbon frame 

This is something I'm not A fan of even though It hasn't given me problems personally but it's one of the reasons I'm such A big Santa Cruz fan 

10 hours ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

I know I'm biased, but steel is real.

Compliant, repairable and sexy.

Check out the offerings from Cotic.co.uk 

F6FE3C73-9D79-4762-99B9-67953E325B22.gif