Bike for longer rides

Op1

2 hours ago, thebob said:

If it was me, I'd go for the new 9.7 and be done with it. I have the 9.8 and can confirm it is an absolutely awesome bike for everything from a chilled cruise on easy trails to getting the heart rate pounding and smashing a few climbs

Yep! Agree with this. The updated geometry of the new (2022/2023) Treks makes them a really capable allround bike. I've done Karoo to Coast on mine (2022 9.80, and did an enduro race on it a few weeks ago. Versatile bike.

Edited by El Duderino
spelling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, Op1 said:

Hi guys,

So I found a trek top fuel 9.7 carbon....2020model. going to have a look at it today. 

Anything I need to look out for on these bikes?

Owner says it has about 1700km on it already.

And....how did it go?

17 minutes ago, Tandemuis said:

And....how did it go?

Hi Guys

So I visited cycle lab and rode the merida, its feels similar to my momsen ( wrt to position ), overall it felt ok and something im used to. Not sure if im suppose to instantly feel that this is the right bike.The twist lock is something id need to get used to...its super light. I didnt get a chance to climb up an incline to get a feel for it though.

second- I visited Trek and rode the Top Fuel 9.7. It felt big and handlebars felt really wide.overall I felt like im riding a big bike and sat slightly high and fairly upright-something im not used to...but it felt really good climbing hills.

In the end, I left Pretoria feeling more confused and wondering if I should put off the purchase until I get more information.

If anyone is willing to meetup at Cyclelab/Trek and offer some expert advice so I just finalise this damn purchase. -Lunch will be on me.

10 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Hi Guys

So I visited cycle lab and rode the merida, its feels similar to my momsen ( wrt to position ), overall it felt ok and something im used to. Not sure if im suppose to instantly feel that this is the right bike.The twist lock is something id need to get used to...its super light. I didnt get a chance to climb up an incline to get a feel for it though.

second- I visited Trek and rode the Top Fuel 9.7. It felt big and handlebars felt really wide.overall I felt like im riding a big bike and sat slightly high and fairly upright-something im not used to...but it felt really good climbing hills.

In the end, I left Pretoria feeling more confused and wondering if I should put off the purchase until I get more information.

If anyone is willing to meetup at Cyclelab/Trek and offer some expert advice so I just finalise this damn purchase. -Lunch will be on me.

Have you previously had a bike fit ?  

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Have you previously had a bike fit ?  

I forgot to mention that I had a professional bike fit done on my current bike. So I guess that both test bike would feel very odd

13 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Hi Guys

Didn't you say that the current "feel" of your current bike is not working for you on longer rides?

Anyway, I am going to throw a spanner in the works and suggest you try a ride on the Orbea oiz H20 or one of their higher models in the oiz series. They also offer 120mm of travel front and rear but comes with a remote lockout for front and back right on the handlebars. 

1 hour ago, Op1 said:

Hi Guys

Mr Op1, Are you using / looking for an L? How tall are you? I have a weird suggestion / offer :oops:

1 hour ago, Op1 said:

Hi Guys

If you’re on a large hit me up and come ride my Orbea. We can go for a 10km loop at Big Red Barn and you can get a proper feel for it. 

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Mr Op1, Are you using / looking for an L? How tall are you? I have a weird suggestion / offer :oops:

Hi Robert,

im 174cm tall and ride a medium at the moment but on the merida im a large and OIZ also Large

4 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Hi Robert,

im 174cm tall and ride a medium at the moment but on the merida im a large and OIZ also Large

Ok, you're squarely sitting in the M terrain so scrap my offer suggestion (even though I never made it 😁).  

image-asset.jpeg

4 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Ok, you're squarely sitting in the M terrain so scrap my offer suggestion (even though I never made it 😁).  

image-asset.jpeg

, so as a last attempt im going to make a dash to cyclelab again and ride a few bikes and get a feel for them.

The only thing I found really strange on the Trek was the 800mm handlebars - Trek said they can shorten it for me. but I dont know what I dont know (ie: whether 800mm is better in the long run).

Suffering from analysis paralysis at the moment

7 minutes ago, Op1 said:

, so as a last attempt im going to make a dash to cyclelab again and ride a few bikes and get a feel for them.

The only thing I found really strange on the Trek was the 800mm handlebars - Trek said they can shorten it for me. but I dont know what I dont know (ie: whether 800mm is better in the long run).

If you do decide on the Trek, don't cut the bars before you go on a long ride first. Better to test it first before you commit to cutting them. That said, I know plenty people who shortened theirs. It is a personal preference type thing and none of them have the same length now.

1 hour ago, Op1 said:

My advice (and just remember, this is my opinion and I do not mind being corrected). 

But the 800 is too wide for you, whats the length of the stem? 700-740mm with a 45-60mm stem will be the sweet spot for someone of your stature (i.e. 1.74) 

Pitch forks can come out now 😜

5 hours ago, Tandemuis said:

If you do decide on the Trek, don't cut the bars before you go on a long ride first. Better to test it first before you commit to cutting them. That said, I know plenty people who shortened theirs. It is a personal preference type thing and none of them have the same length now.

Agree 100% with this. My fiance is 1.65m and rides a 35mm stem with 800mm bars. 

She bought the Stumpy with them and she loved it from the first ride. Her Orbea was also upgraded the same day to 780mm bars. 

There is no right or wrong width. It is what you feel comfortable riding. 

On 12/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, RobertWhitehead said:

True, but, IMO: the lifetime warranty does not mean much if you pay more than R20k over the value of what you're getting 😜

That warranty only applies to the first owner so that is how they catch you 

Gotto agree with RobertWhitehead,

"Lifetime Warranty" is also defined as the expected lifetime of the bike, not the rider. This "Lifetime" have generally been clipped by most brands at 5 years from the date of purchase. I know for a fact that Scott, Giant and Spez have this policy.

All smiles if the above have changed in recent times, or if I am wrong.

There's no freebee's any longer 😒