63 years old, weigh 120 kg, 2 m tall, live by the beach

Adrian John du Toit

Howzit,

I'm looking to get fit and lose some weight, and really want an all terrain bike. il mainly be traversing sand dunes and beach trails, but also have access to fantastic farmlands trails on the west coast.

Can fellow forumites offer me some guidance/advice on what to purchase.

Cheers

Adrian

52 minutes ago, Adrian John du Toit said:

Howzit,

I'm looking to get fit and lose some weight, and really want an all terrain bike. il mainly be traversing sand dunes and beach trails, but also have access to fantastic farmlands trails on the west coast.

Can fellow forumites offer me some guidance/advice on what to purchase.

Cheers

Adrian

Howsit! 

Do you have a budget in mind?

Hi Adrian , welcome to cycling

Please don't buy A fatbike , it'll be awesome on the dunes but suck everywhere else.

Budget allowing get A steel hard tail with 120mm front travel , nice 650+ wheels and a 34/35mm fork 

That way you can ride on the dunes and swap out for A 29er wheelset should want to race the bike and do further rides.

Cotic solaris is top of my list 

If you can find something like a Trek Stache you'll enjoy an incredibly capable and versatile bike that will be pretty easy to maintain. 
Wouldn't recommend riding the dunes and beach though, wear and tear will quickly build up and you'll spend as much time maintaining the bike as riding. 

Perhaps consider speaking to a personal trainer and incorporate the riding into some beach walks etc. Give yourself some variety and there will be someone to guide you along, at least until you're comfortable.

Cycling is awesome, and a great way to explore scenery. Can't recommend a bike but cycling in dry dune sand is bordering on impossible. But plenty else to explore and just about any mountain bike will have you up and running in no time. 

Speaking of which, where along the West Coast can beach trails be found?

Riding in the sand only a fat bike can do that, but it won't be fun riding it anywhere else. So if I were you I'd buy a bike that's decent everywhere else than in the sand, and if you really want to ride on the beach, you'll have to ride where the sand is hard, so close to the water (but not so great for the bike obviously)

21 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Hi Adrian , welcome to cycling

Please don't buy A fatbike , it'll be awesome on the dunes but suck everywhere else.

Budget allowing get A steel hard tail with 120mm front travel , nice 650+ wheels and a 34/35mm fork 

That way you can ride on the dunes and swap out for A 29er wheelset should want to race the bike and do further rides.

Cotic solaris is top of my list 

19 hours ago, Eugene said:

Don't cycle in the dunes or beach trails. Cycling in sand is the worst. You will hate it. 

I second this. no matter how strong and fit you are (I'm not), riding in the sand sucks. The only upside is that it doesn't hurt so much when you fall over, and you will. a lot.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Riding in the sand only a fat bike can do that, but it won't be fun riding it anywhere else. So if I were you I'd buy a bike that's decent everywhere else than in the sand, and if you really want to ride on the beach, you'll have to ride where the sand is hard, so close to the water (but not so great for the bike obviously)

Ja, I wanna have fun, I live in Grotto Bay,  sandy paths all over and path to the beach that leads all the the way to yzerfontein, well almost. I guess the corrosion and sand can be problematic with plenty maintenance.

Plenty of nice bikes on the second hand forum. There was a carbon GT hardtail for R 12k i think.

As they said - get some kays in on the easy hard roads first - big boys sink on sand so steer clear. 

Riding on any beach looks cool but screws up a bike as it has an exposed gearbox. Add sand, salt and water to the gears and they will die very quickly. Best idea is not to do it. Ride down lekker farm roads for a nice jol in the early mornings when theres no wind.

Take it easy and start slow - you can give yourself a heart attack if you havent done some exercise and just go riding .

Ideally get an ebike but thats probably a next step.

Thanks all for insight & advice, quite a bit to digest.

I live in Grotto Bay, so have a mix of dirt paths, sand dunes and uninterrupted hard beach down by the waters edge to yzerfontein.

My budget is roughly R100000.00

Should be able to score a suitable contraption for that..

I cant do any jarring exercises the  knees and ankle have osteoarthritis,

Swimming and cycling is my path to fitness again.

Im thinking of a ebike to start.

5 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Plenty of nice bikes on the second hand forum. There was a carbon GT hardtail for R 12k i think.

As they said - get some kays in on the easy hard roads first - big boys sink on sand so steer clear. 

Riding on any beach looks cool but screws up a bike as it has an exposed gearbox. Add sand, salt and water to the gears and they will die very quickly. Best idea is not to do it. Ride down lekker farm roads for a nice jol in the early mornings when theres no wind.

Take it easy and start slow - you can give yourself a heart attack if you havent done some exercise and just go riding .

Ideally get an ebike but thats probably a next step.

Thanks Paul, I'm intend following a really easy path. Wont do the beaches and small rides to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Adrian John du Toit said:

Thanks all for insight & advice, quite a bit to digest.

I live in Grotto Bay, so have a mix of dirt paths, sand dunes and uninterrupted hard beach down by the waters edge to yzerfontein.

My budget is roughly R100000.00

Should be able to score a suitable contraption for that..

I cant do any jarring exercises the  knees and ankle have osteoarthritis,

Swimming and cycling is my path to fitness again.

Im thinking of a ebike to start.

for R100k I'd buy a cheap fatbike and a nice Ebike MTB if I were you ;)

you will get a nice ebike for that - dont forget to get all the accessories - helmets, glasses, shorts, shoes etc can add up as well. 

I dont know Grotto Bay well but I am sure you will also have a good amount of wind. Wind and cycling mix 50% of the time - when you are going with the wind. Keep that in mind when you plan your rides.