Bicycle Technician Courses

Save Cyclist

It's a Novel Idea but I don't think a lot of Okes are gonna go for It.

Someone I know started a school to teach people how to fix Copiers and Printers.

It Never Really took Off.

Bicycle is Part of Mechanical Engineering Which is Already Catered for.

This School does not seem to be accredited by any  South African SETA.

42 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

It's a Novel Idea but I don't think a lot of Okes are gonna go for It.

Someone I know started a school to teach people how to fix Copiers and Printers.

It Never Really took Off.

Bicycle is Part of Mechanical Engineering Which is Already Catered for.

This School does not seem to be accredited by any  South African SETA.

It would be a LOT more expensive if it was linked to SA SETA 🤦‍♂️

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

It would be a LOT more expensive if it was linked to SA SETA 🤦‍♂️

Accreditation and Price are 2 Separate Issues.

If the Provider is Accredited a Large Percentage of the Fees can be Claimed from the Skills Development Levy.

Nevermind !

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Accreditation and Price are 2 Separate Issues.

If the Provider is Accredited a Large Percentage of the Fees can be Claimed from the Skills Development Levy.

Nevermind !

And so it should be ....

In reality, see prices rocket once the skills levy comes into play.

Now seeing the same play out with CPD accredited cources ... prices more than double as soon as it is accredited.

Real pity.

Hi All,

I’m responding in my capacity as the co-owner and trainer at Torq Zone Academy (TZA), not to defend but rather enlighten. Apologies if this is a bit lengthy.

We are the only bicycle mechanic training provider of our kind, established in 2014 (can’t believe it’s been over eight years), and situated in Lynwood Manor, Pretoria. We run small, learner centric classes (six per course) focused on laying down the fundamental knowledge, skills, and aptitude to be able to function as a bicycle mechanic. The entire programme, spread over three courses, basically taking the learner from A to Z. This requires us to have all the necessary tools (most in sextuplicate), equipment, componentry, frames, and bicycles which as all know comes at a hefty price, and constantly needs updating.

Our market is largely entrants into the trade but we have a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) programme for experienced mechanics wanting to obtain the certificate for whatever reason they deem applicable. We in no way prescribe that all bicycle mechanics, new entrants or experienced, should come through our programme as learning can take place in different ways. We are however offering a formalised, structured approach to the learning.

We know our training programme costs a lot of money but we do yearly comparisons of our pricing to similar trade related SA based programmes, and exact programmes offered in the USA and the UK. Generally, we compare cheaper than most of these, and we charge what we need to stay in business and make a small (not greedy) profit. One must always be reminded that investing in one’s learning whether it be money, time, or effort is not short-term, can never be taken away, and is not always about getting a job as it can articulate to other opportunities (as a few of our learners have found out).

We constantly remind our learners of the 20%/80% principle (20% learning in a formal environment / 80% learning in a workshop), and constantly confirm on them that it will take a few years in the workshop to master their skills.

The mastering of their skills in the workshop is however very dependent on the cycle shop having the capacity and methodology to be able hone and deliver work-place related learning (not all master mechanics make good trainers). We have developed a formal apprentice system and look forward to implementing it in the forcible future in partnership with cycle shops.

TZA was at the forefront nine years ago in having a National Qualification registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) (https://allqs.saqa.org.za/showQualification.php?id=99694), and was accredited by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) to offer the qualification. This qualification has a compulsory apprenticeship and trade test component which, due to various reasons, the respective SETA for the last six years has not been yet able to capitalise on. Learners are therefore not yet able to achieve qualification which essentially implies that the industry cannot yet make use of National Skills Fund (NSF) funding. We have all but given up trying to get the SETA to do its job and continue therefore to offer the non-NQF aligned, UK based Cytech Technical Programme.

Anyone having any further constructive input or questions is free to contact me on graeme@torqzone.co.za, or 082 850 0115.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeS