Old bikes: 2016 Cannondale Lefty or KTM Scarpe

Marco187

Hey Guys 

I'm new and looking for a bike.... So I go to the local biie shop, geez not much available for R15k these days!.... So i go second hand and find beautiful Carbon Full suspension bikes available. 

I remember going into Lynnwood Cycles and seeing the KTM Scarp and Cannondale Lefty for the first time and man they looked impressive and the price those days geez...... 

SO do I go for the top of the range old timers or get a new entry entry entry level bike? 

The KTM is in excellent condition and didn't do allot of riding. Only found 1 sofar

All the Cannondales have been ridden more. allot available! 

Thank you very much @ChrisFfor having the confidence to refer me, @Marco187I am going to take the time to type an essay to assist you in finding your new wheels. Please note that I do not know everything and the below mentioned is just my opinion. If and when posting something online you will always have a million opinions and suggestions. 

I am not a shop and do not have hundreds of bikes standing on a showroom floor but I have been cycling for many years and do tinker on bikes during my spare time. I can also build you a bike to fit into your budget but this is not the main goal. 

1. Right off the bat: Choosing the correct size is IMO one of the most important factors, everything else on the bike can be swopped out and or upgraded but the moment you have the wrong frame size everything else becomes irrelevant. 
  2. The main goal with buying 2nd hand is to not have to spend any cash on the bike too soon after purchasing it. Wanting to upgrade it is a different story but if you buy a 2nd hand bike and 2 weeks later you have to buy a new drivetrain or service the fork / shock then you're paying for the previous owners fun.
  3. As mentioned before: Everything on a bike can be swopped out or upgraded but some manufactures enjoy making their product super unique so that you can only buy from their suppliers, one of the brands you mentioned (the one with only one stanchion on the fork 🤪) are one of those manufactures.
  4. Get a bike that you actually think looks the part, I mean you should enjoy looking at it. 

If you need any other tips or suggestions please feel free to reach out

Thanks @RobertWhitehead!!! 

Probably the most important thing for me is point 4.! "Get a bike that you actually think looks the part, I mean you should enjoy looking at it"

Agree 1000% on that and that is exactly why I started this thread! Those 2 bike just looks amazing I'm 100% I don't need the fancy components but I want the look it will really help me to ac8get on the bike and go ride it! 

So what I gathered is your actual advice, is to ask you to build me a nice looking bike with a entry level drive train 😁🤔

Marco you already know what new bikes cost :eek:

Second hand is a lottery ..... I have had second hand bikes that gave me brilliant service.  But I have also seen a friend buy a good looking bike, "that was recently serviced" .... brand new tires and a shiny new cassette attested to the recent service.  Test ride went good.  When we put it on the bike stand the following came to light:

- the new tires were not tubeless ready ...

- the new cassette was some unkown brand ... chain was totally worn ... we started digging deaper.  I had a good 1x9 groupset and we replaced the entire drive train.

- rear wheel bearing shot .... thankfully easy fix to service cup-and-cone and to replace the balls.

- front wheel ... same story

- BB ... same story

- steering tube bearings were fine.  We cleaned and re-greased.

- brakes were okay.

Robert stands by his bikes and you wont have these surprises when he builds you a bike.

Your next bet would be a bike shop or re-seller, that provides some sort of gaurantee .... uhm jaaa ....

Where ever you buy .... SIZE .... and get the one that puts a smile on your face :thumbup:

ENJOY