Gravel Bike Tyres Discussion

CraigCCW

A gravel bike is something I've looked at on and off as the thing to get me into cycle again after a few years off as my girls are moving into the toddler stage. I don't feel the road is safe anymore and technical MTB isn't really for me. A voice in the back of my head always said this isn't going to work for my area (Rural Karoo).

Then I read the Rhino Run articles here and I realized what would work for me.

Benkenstein was running 29 x 2.4s and Zeinab said: 

The main thing I would change would be to use wider tyres. I had never really ridden gravel before the event so I assumed 48mm tyres would be enough. If I could go back I would use the biggest tyre I could get my hands on.

So if I ever get a gravel a bike I will skip the 'current' gravel tyres and go straight to something like the Curve Big Kev. 

Opinions on tyres are divergent and cheap. Actual numbers are harder to find. Bicycle rolling resistance is one good source. Of the big brands that are easy to find locally Panaracer and Pirelli both do well, but for all out speed the Continental Terra Speed is the one. Personally, for the price, availability, and width, the 45-50mm Pirelli will do fine for you IMO. Any of the top rated tyres will do what you want and it's going to come down to personal preference, including aesthetics, brand loyalty, and what sort of cyclist you want to be perceived at when you upload a photo of your bike post-ride to Strava. Copy and paste this response to any thread about tyres...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews

53 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Opinions on tyres are divergent and cheap. Actual numbers are harder to find. Bicycle rolling resistance is one good source. Of the big brands that are easy to find locally Panaracer and Pirelli both do well, but for all out speed the Continental Terra Speed is the one. Personally, for the price, availability, and width, the 45-50mm Pirelli will do fine for you IMO. Any of the top rated tyres will do what you want and it's going to come down to personal preference, including aesthetics, brand loyalty, and what sort of cyclist you want to be perceived at when you upload a photo of your bike post-ride to Strava. Copy and paste this response to any thread about tyres...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews

As someone that ritually posts post-ride, quasi-mud-covered-bike pics to Strava, lets call a spade a spade on the "look" here...

• That darker brown sidewall of the Pirelli tyre is just oh-so-chic compared to the custard yellow of the Maxxis tan wall. Best paired with darker frame colours (ideally all-black). 
  • Gravel King (SK or not) in 43c is your top pick if you think an Epic is the ultimate mountain bike, and drive a silver 3-Series / white Fortuner.
  • 650B x 2.1" Crossmarks or Mezcals if you're the guy in a lycra/baggy mixed outfit proclaiming "riding mountain bike trails on a mountain bike, or any bike with suspension, is for softcocks" at the trail head.

Same as all the tyre related posts, everyone will tell you what they run is best. So here's what I run, doesn't mean it's best, but at least it's easily available (https://schwalbetyres.co.za/product/schwalbe-g-one-allround/)

spacer.png

I have only tried the rambler and the g-one allround and I must say it's much better than the rambler, gives an awesome feel while cornering at speed on tar (I do most of my training on it/all my solo rides) and you are not afraid to turn at 45kph on tar with it. The rambler I found the slightly less round profile felt so dodge while cornering. And it's also good in sand or rocky terrain. Haven't had the bad luck to have to test it in mud yet 😅

Edited by Jbr

3 hours ago, CraigCCW said:

No worries.

I have a Giant Revolt so I can go up to 53mm.

I tend to tide on alot of tar roads for training purposes, so I'm hoping to get a balance between rolling resistance for road, and comfort / grip for gravel rides.

Hence me looking at the Pirelli Cinturato Hard 45mm.

For your use case, add GravelKing SS's to the list.

3 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

For your use case, add GravelKing SS's to the list.

Alot of reviews I've read on the GravelsKings aren't to impressed by their punture resistance and overall longevity.

2 minutes ago, CraigCCW said:

Alot of reviews I've read on the GravelsKings aren't to impressed by their punture resistance and overall longevity.

I've experienced the contrary to be honest, unless I've just been lucky. I know the full slick GK doesn't have great puncture resistance.

Good luck, let us know what you end up getting.

3 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

I've experienced the contrary to be honest, unless I've just been lucky. I know the full slick GK doesn't have great puncture resistance.

Good luck, let us know what you end up getting.

Thanks, will do