Stellenbosch (road) cycling routes for a cyclist abroad

Lorre_13

5 minutes ago, Lorre_13 said:

Amazing, can't wait!

Yes, driving up to CT is definitely the plan to have a ride over there. Thanks for suggesting!

Park at the Waterfront and ride along Greenpoint, Seapoint, Campsbay and Victoria drive up Suikerbossie into Houtbay and then over Chapmans from where you can loop to Cape Point and Simonstown before you ascend Chapmans and Suikerbos again back to Campsbay, where you swing right up Lower Kloof and on to Kloof. At the top keep going to the Lower Cable Station and ride along the mountain to enjoy some awesome scenery. On the return loop cross over Kloof again and go towards Signal Hill to see the city and Table Bay and Robben Island. Back to Kloof again, and swing a sharp left down the hill (watch your speed) into Town down Kloof Nek road which becomes Buitengracht. At the bottom turn back to the waterfront.

Congratulations. You've just ridden probably the most scenic route in South Africa, if not most places on earth. :whistling:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Lorre_13 said:

Amazing suggestions, thanks!

Are there any 'popular' cycling groups that are riding during the week/weekends that leave at a particular time/place near Stellies?

There are quite a few groups that ride regularly. STS (Stellenbosch Triathlon Squad) rides every second morning I believe and have a variety of speed-groups and sessions during the week ranging from easy rides to intervals. They also do long social rides on Sunday mornings. They might be a good group to check out, maybe message them on Instagram.

There is a group that rides on Tuesday mornings for the fast, the brave or the willing-to-risk-a-heart-attack among us. The Ciovita shop has an easy social ride on Wednesday mornings.

May I ask how fast you are looking to go? A good place to start is always by visiting a bike shop or bike-related shop and asking if there are clubs, club rides, group rides, or shop rides one can join.

38 minutes ago, RoadNoob6 said:

There are quite a few groups that ride regularly. STS (Stellenbosch Triathlon Squad) rides every second morning I believe and have a variety of speed-groups and sessions during the week ranging from easy rides to intervals. They also do long social rides on Sunday mornings. They might be a good group to check out, maybe message them on Instagram.

There is a group that rides on Tuesday mornings for the fast, the brave or the willing-to-risk-a-heart-attack among us. The Ciovita shop has an easy social ride on Wednesday mornings.

May I ask how fast you are looking to go? A good place to start is always by visiting a bike shop or bike-related shop and asking if there are clubs, club rides, group rides, or shop rides one can join.

Very interesting, thanks!

Let's say that we are advanced riders that ride up to 10-15 hours every week here in Belgium.

So a nice variety between Z2 and Z3/Z4 is always welcome to build our pace for the future season.. 😉

Will deffo have a look around. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Park at the Waterfront and ride along Greenpoint, Seapoint, Campsbay and Victoria drive up Suikerbossie into Houtbay and then over Chapmans from where you can loop to Cape Point and Simonstown before you ascend Chapmans and Suikerbos again back to Campsbay, where you swing right up Lower Kloof and on to Kloof. At the top keep going to the Lower Cable Station and ride along the mountain to enjoy some awesome scenery. On the return loop cross over Kloof again and go towards Signal Hill to see the city and Table Bay and Robben Island. Back to Kloof again, and swing a sharp left down the hill (watch your speed) into Town down Kloof Nek road which becomes Buitengracht. At the bottom turn back to the waterfront.

Congratulations. You've just ridden probably the most scenic route in South Africa, if not most places on earth. :whistling:

Hi Robbie - wawie! Amazing, baie dankie!
Will take some time to blend this into a GPX route and will share them here afterwards.

Can't wait to finally soak up some sun and get off Zwift - haha

19 minutes ago, Lorre_13 said:

Hi Robbie - wawie! Amazing, baie dankie!
Will take some time to blend this into a GPX route and will share them here afterwards.

Can't wait to finally soak up some sun and get off Zwift - haha

My pleasure.

I ride mtb but even I enjoy that part of the world immensely.

Not to alarm you but don’t take your eyes off your bike for even a minute. Especially in Stellenbosch but anywhere really. I know others have mentioned it, but I thought it worth mentioning again.

Otherwise, the routes along the Atlantic coast between camps bay and Simonstown are amazing. Cape Point reserve on a wind still day is magnificent too. Few cars and completely wild. 

17 hours ago, Lorre_13 said:

Hi guys, hope all is well!

I'm visiting South Africa from early Feb untill beginning of March together with a friend.

We're staying in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek during that time and we'll be taking the time in SA to prep for a Gran Fondo race in Italy.

I'm looking for some routes ranging between 50 & 200km's and curious about general do's & dont's for the area or specific places to avoid if needed.

Appreciate any help!

Cheers!

In early March (12th) - Cape Town hosts what is said to be the world's largest timed cycle race.

If you are still here, its a must do. (entries closing in the next week !!)

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/

109km and has seeded categories/start times for group sizes and group safety - for Pro's and elite riders starting first - all the way down to weekend warriors starting about 3 hours later.  You can race it .. times roughly  2.30 hrs or relax and enjoy the route and crowds 8hr.

(If you at the rear - expect to meet around 35,000 riders)

Re your GranFondo  training - routes and road options are limitless - (and many with a 'safe' yellow side lane.) 3 or 4 cycle shops in Stellenbosch will put you in contact with riders and clubs, and can recommend routes depending on wind and distance (see heatmaps for the area but confirm safety of sections with the shop/riders/clubs)

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

In early March (12th) - Cape Town hosts what is said to be the world's largest timed cycle race.

If you are still here, its a must do. (entries closing in the next week !!)

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/

109km and has seeded categories/start times for group sizes and group safety - for Pro's and elite riders starting first - all the way down to weekend warriors starting about 3 hours later.  You can race it .. times roughly  2.30 hrs or relax and enjoy the route and crowds 8hr.

(If you at the rear - expect to meet around 35,000 riders)

Re your GranFondo  training - routes and road options are limitless - (and many with a 'safe' yellow side lane.) 3 or 4 cycle shops in Stellenbosch will put you in contact with riders and clubs, and can recommend routes depending on wind and distance (see heatmaps for the area but confirm safety of sections with the shop/riders/clubs)

Thanks Max! I knoooow, such a pitty our race in Italy is the first weekend of March..
We'll definitely be back for the CT Cycle Tour! :)

Great, we'll get in touch!
I already have a contact at Specialized Stellenbosch who took me around last year - but of course always on the look out to like minded cyclists and tips! 😉

Truly can't wait..

13 minutes ago, Lorre_13 said:

Thanks Max! I knoooow, such a pitty our race in Italy is the first weekend of March..
We'll definitely be back for the CT Cycle Tour! :)

Great, we'll get in touch!
I already have a contact at Specialized Stellenbosch who took me around last year - but of course always on the look out to like minded cyclists and tips! 😉

Truly can't wait..

Oh, yes, you are in good hands with Waylon Woolcock and  Craig Boyes at Stell.Spez.

Good luck and enjoy your visit, warm weather and then Fondo.

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Would this be the loop you suggested? https://www.strava.com/routes/3052647778057662598

53 minutes ago, Lorre_13 said:

Would this be the loop you suggested? https://www.strava.com/routes/3052647778057662598

Avoid riding past the Red Hill Informal Settlement if you are alone. Rather go around the other way towards Smitswinkel. Some great views to be had there anyway as its a much prettier route.

image.png.26ac30ec14855873f03c5a7390b638ed.png

Then if you have the legs, a there and back spin along the front of Table Mountain on the road past the lower cable station is also going to give you some very unique and worth the effort views.

All in all it will be a good day's ride with some elevation and distance with some out of this world scenery. 

image.png.cdead40b0e4bad06a2f3a8aece1612e0.png

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Avoid riding past the Red Hill Informal Settlement if you are alone. Rather go around the other way towards Smitswinkel. Some great views to be had there anyway as its a much prettier route.

image.png.26ac30ec14855873f03c5a7390b638ed.png

Then if you have the legs, a there and back spin along the front of Table Mountain on the road past the lower cable station is also going to give you some very unique and worth the effort views.

All in all it will be a good day's ride with some elevation and distance with some out of this world scenery. 

image.png.cdead40b0e4bad06a2f3a8aece1612e0.png

Thanks Robbie, will adjust the route! Appreciate it

I live in Stellenbosch and regularly ride to Franschhoek and back (over Helshoogte) which is about 70km. You can also add on either/or Klapmuts and Somerset West if you're looking for 100km's. 😎

I ride alone and haven't had any issues (I avoid Kayamandi). 🤷‍♂️

Edited by mikkelz

Hi guys, i took some time on making some routes.. Feel free to run over them.

Tried to blend in some of the tips around.

I'm gonna start of with the 4 Passes loop, i see that there's a road running called: 'Old Sir Lowry's Pass Road' but on Google Streetview it seems to end with a barrier on the Sir Lowry's Pass.
What do you recommend? Making a right into the 2 Highway or keep on the old road and just jump over the barrier?
https://www.strava.com/routes/3052903341573354630

We're shifting between Stellies & Franschhoek regarding our stays so created some different routes:

- 200k loop (Stellies - Somerset - Betty's Bay - Botrivier - Villiersdorp - Franschhoek - Stellies)
https://www.strava.com/routes/3046836560720690288

- 45k quickie (Stellies - Kuilsrivier - Stellies)
https://www.strava.com/routes/3046836560720690288

- 110k coastal (Stellies - Rooiels - Stellies)
https://www.strava.com/routes/3052906785387262596

- 60k Paarl & back
https://www.strava.com/routes/3052908620649298564

Feel free to reach out to me on Strava & link-up for a ride whilst there!

Have a great day!

Hi Lorre13. I think I can add some value here but open to correction on my comments

1. Sir Lowrys Pass - N2 (National Road) - no cycles allowed. I think guys do ride it but with cars & trucks coming past at 80-120km an hour...takes the fun out of cycling for me. My preference would be coastal road out & back from Gordons Bay to Hermanus. Hard shoulder all the way & I read somewhere that it goes through to Stanford but not sure. It wont feel like an out & back because the different perspective views.

2. 200k route - Botrivier to Villiersdorp is sand road not doable by road bike. You would need to hop on N2 for a short while & come back towards Villiersdorp that way. No hard shoulder on that road & last time I drove it was not great with blind rises & corners & just general disrepair of the road. I cant believe I used to cycle on those roads...Villiersdorp to top of Franshoek pass is ok, but if its harvesting time there are a load of trucks that drive that road. It is narrow & I consider it not worth the risk. Would be the same issue if you thinking of the Grabouw link to Villiersdorp.

45k - Seems good but I don't ride out that way

110k - Nice

60k - The 2 link roads to Paarl on the Franschoek side are not great. R45 is awful on the road (no hard shoulder & speeding cars). The R 301 is ok but there is now roadworks from Val de Vie into Paarl which makes it a bit tatty. Better route here would be over Helshoogte to Franschoek & back.

Other roads/Routes worth looking at (I ride out of Paarl):

R44 towards Paarl - Hard shoulder all the way. 

Long Ride - Stellenbosch (R44)-Wellington-Hermon (bypass)-Wolesley-Bainskloof-Paarl (R44)-Stellenbosch. This gives me 140km. Can add in another 20 by doing the pass into Ceres and then back track to Wolesley....= my favorite road route Ive ever ridden. Hard shoulder all the way except for over Bains but never had a issue.

Long ride 2 - Stellenbosch (Think its R101..beware Kayamandi) all the way through to Malmsbury - Riebeeckkasteel - Hermon- Wellington - Stellenbosch (R44)....Can also shorten it and straight back to Paarl via R45.........There are 4 loops that I use within this loop depending on distances Im riding. All have big hard shoulders.

Im afraid I cant help with GPX/Strava files cause im IT inept, but you welcome to DM me & I can show you around depending on schedules.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, Adriandup said:

1. Sir Lowrys Pass - N2 (National Road) - no cycles allowed.....

This is incorrect. Cycles are not allowed on a freeway, but The N2 is not a freeway from Somerset to Grabouw. Cant be a freeway if it has intersections with traffic lights afaik.

Edited by Christie