Stellenbosch (road) cycling routes for a cyclist abroad

Lorre_13

Hi guys, hope all is well!

I'm visiting South Africa from early Feb untill beginning of March together with a friend.

We're staying in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek during that time and we'll be taking the time in SA to prep for a Gran Fondo race in Italy.

I'm looking for some routes ranging between 50 & 200km's and curious about general do's & dont's for the area or specific places to avoid if needed.

Appreciate any help!

Cheers!

Edited by Lorre_13

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Jonkershoek. 
And Paradyskloof.

And Helderberg Farm.

And if you want a really long ride, you could hit them all in one go.

Jonkershoek is a nature reserve and requires a permit. I think you still need to buy one online before hand?

Helderberg Farm has an honesty box I think.

Paradyskloof is free. 

Do ride in a group

Do take a lot of water

Do grab a coffee at The Hangar Bike Co (no affiliation, I just really enjoy their coffee, same goes for Ride In in Jonkershoek)

Do drink lots of coffee and eat lots of lekker things in Franschhoek

Do consider taking pepper spray or mace or something

Do watch out for idiots trying to run you over

Don't assume vehicles will obey the rules of the road

Don't ride after dark

Don't flash your phone or money about

Don't fall

I don't know much about Franschhoek (except for the aforementioned coffee and lekker things)

Enjoy!

16 minutes ago, Gripen_85 said:

Jonkershoek is a nature reserve and requires a permit. I think you still need to buy one online before hand?

You can pay at the gate. R60.00 for a day pass.

Also, if riding MTB there are some good trails around Botma'skop from Jonkershoek that link up to Banhoek, Boschendal and Plaisir de Merle and beyond.

There are also a plethora of trails around Muratie and Delheim and around the Simonsberg mountain.

Don't ride alone.

My advice is go visit a cycling shop and get since info there before you start your adventures.

3 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Would it be right to assume that the your Gran Fondo is a Road Race and not off-road (MTB)?

Yes! Road it is.. excuse me for not clarifying.

Road rides:

Stellenbosch to Kleinmond along the coastal road and back. (If the wind is not blowing). It is one of the top scenic road  routes in the country imo. Road surface is nice and smooth, too. Go early to avoid traffic, and keep to the side of the road.

Do Baines Kloof pass oitside of Wellington. You can decide if you want to ride there from Stellenbosch.

Perhaps go out to Cape Town. Start in Hout Bay, ride Chapman's Peak, past Cape Point and back via Simon's Town. This is a major cycling route for Cape Town roadies.

Four passes: Stellenbosch. Grabouw, Franschoek, Stellenbosch loop. Leave early to avoid traffic on the first pass. (Sir Louwry's Pass). Stop for a pie at Peregrine Farm stall outside Grabouw.

Safe to do alone:

Stellenbosch to Pringle Bay

Stellenbosch to Villiersdorp/Franschoek T-Junction and back

Stellenbosch to Bainskloof Pass and Back

Group needed for safety:

Four Passes

Bottelary Loop

Cape Town:

Suikerbossie and Chapman's peak - ride either from Noordhoek or from Camps Bay depending on the wind.

Edited by RoadNoob6

1 hour ago, Lorre_13 said:

Yes! Road it is.. excuse me for not clarifying.

My bad, the mind immediately jumped to "Mountain biking mecca" when you said Stellenbosch 😁

My recommended do's and don't's remain the same, though.

Lots of options around here.

Please, where ever you ride avoid the R304 past Khayamandi. That 3km stretch of road is very dangerous.

Screenshot_20230123_124127_Maps.jpg

Not to scare you off.

Just need to make you aware of the high bicycle theft rate in and around Stellenbosch.

Best to keep a very close eye on your bikes, especially while grabbing a coffee etc.

1 hour ago, JacBrand said:

Lots of options around here.

Please, where ever you ride avoid the R304 past Khayamandi. That 3km stretch of road is very dangerous.

Screenshot_20230123_124127_Maps.jpg

Thanks! So you would suggest to ride up the direction of Paarl/Wellington over the R44 or drive over the R310 and make a left at Boschendal?

1 hour ago, FondTF2 said:

Not to scare you off.

Just need to make you aware of the high bicycle theft rate in and around Stellenbosch.

Best to keep a very close eye on your bikes, especially while grabbing a coffee etc.

Cool, cheers for warning!

2 hours ago, Gripen_85 said:

My bad, the mind immediately jumped to "Mountain biking mecca" when you said Stellenbosch 😁

My recommended do's and don't's remain the same, though.

Haha, loved the huge amount of tips tho - really appreciate it.

Maybe Mountainbiking would be something for next year.. ;-)

3 hours ago, RoadNoob6 said:

Safe to do alone:

Stellenbosch to Pringle Bay

Stellenbosch to Villiersdorp/Franschoek T-Junction and back

Stellenbosch to Bainskloof Pass and Back

Group needed for safety:

Four Passes

Bottelary Loop

Cape Town:

Suikerbossie and Chapman's peak - ride either from Noordhoek or from Camps Bay depending on the wind.

Amazing suggestions, thanks!

Are there any 'popular' cycling groups that are riding during the week/weekends that leave at a particular time/place near Stellies?

3 hours ago, Christie said:

Road rides:

Stellenbosch to Kleinmond along the coastal road and back. (If the wind is not blowing). It is one of the top scenic road  routes in the country imo. Road surface is nice and smooth, too. Go early to avoid traffic, and keep to the side of the road.

Do Baines Kloof pass oitside of Wellington. You can decide if you want to ride there from Stellenbosch.

Perhaps go out to Cape Town. Start in Hout Bay, ride Chapman's Peak, past Cape Point and back via Simon's Town. This is a major cycling route for Cape Town roadies.

Four passes: Stellenbosch. Grabouw, Franschoek, Stellenbosch loop. Leave early to avoid traffic on the first pass. (Sir Louwry's Pass). Stop for a pie at Peregrine Farm stall outside Grabouw.

Amazing, can't wait!

Yes, driving up to CT is definitely the plan to have a ride over there. Thanks for suggesting!

2 minutes ago, Lorre_13 said:

Thanks! So you would suggest to ride up the direction of Paarl/Wellington over the R44 or drive over the R310 and make a left at Boschendal?

For safety, yes. The Kayamandi stretch is known for bike jacking and general mugging.