List of Carbon repairers in Gauteng

Dirkitech

Hi Bikehubbers,

I'm doing a personal little case study and I've looked at some threads here and didn't see quite a similar topic. I've contacted some repairers before, but to my knowledge, I only know of 3 carbon repairers in Gauteng. I'm finding the choice of repairers to be very limited, thus no competition on pricing from my findings.
I've contacted Carbon Bike Repair in Jhb, but got no response,
I've contacted Macarbi Rowshop in Jhb South.
I've contacted Cycledelic in Benoni.
I've contacted Carbon Ninja (Greame) in KZN.

My findings indicate repairs to vary significantly. One place will have high repairs and high resprays, while others may have low repairs and high resprays or high repairs and low resprays, while another may do repairs but no resprays. When repairing a R100k frame, high cost and high respray is expected, but what about Jan, Rap and his mate Willie, who rides a 10k or 20k, or even 40k Carbon frame, where a +- 10k repair is worth 25-100% of the actual frame value.

I know many people wouldn't touch a repaired carbon frame - that's fine, you do you. I have and am happy to do it again, but of course wouldn't sell one without full disclosure. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if any of you would add your opinion on various matters such as cost vs quality, necessity for resprays (as opposed to repairs only), levels of service quality you received, or even another reliable carbon repairer not on this list (Gauteng and beyond)?

Edited by Dirkitech

My 2C.

Hade my road bike frame repaired early 2021 by CBR in North Riding.

Had a seat tube fracture.

The actual cost of the repair was reasonable.

What did strike me as over the top was the respray. If I wanted to go full colour match, would have been +/- 2K, whereas a non-matching (gloss white) block spray was R600. Because the repair was below the FD and obscured by the crank, block spray was a no brainer.

Another cost to factor in, was the strip and rebuild cost. This I guess can fluctuate based on the complexity of the build. Mine was marked as complexed (internal cable routings, integrated bars etc)

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Carbon Bike Repair said:

Good day Dirk 

I have sent you a private message 🙂

5 months, to the day!
Just having a bit of fun, CBR!

Good luck.
Cheers!
Chris