Western Cape Enduro 2023

MORNE

1 hour ago, Schalk Duvenage said:

Rode Armageddon Iron Monkey and Phoenix this morning. They're a lot better after the bit of rain and I saw the guys hard at work on a section of Phoenix fixing up the trail.

Did Iron Monkey for the 1st time today and 5 was for sure an eye opener...actually track walked for the first time in my life🤣

Its only really that part by the big drop off and the off camber part right after it…especially if you are doing it for the first time. You don't see the b-line around the side down the chute lol. But yea…need to go try that bit a few more times myself.

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the off chance my Nurse hiker hero from jonkershoek reads this, thank you for your help today Hermien. Also thanks to all the people who helped down at the trailhead, also @Warren Melissa Go Riding, thanks for a fun day out. Good vibes, fun people all round. (Sent you a PM)

i’m unfortunately out, and no mtb for 6 weeks😫. 

let me know if someone is keen for an entry to the full. Ill sort you out.

EDIT: entry found a new home. 
Enjoy Wayne.

Edited by MORNE

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

In the off chance my Nurse hiker hero from jonkershoek reads this, thank you for your help today Hermien. Also thanks to all the people who helped down at the trailhead, also @Warren Melissa Go Riding, thanks for a fun day out. Good vibes, fun people all round.

i’m unfortunately out, and no mtb for 6 weeks😫. 

let me know if someone is keen for an entry to the full. Ill sort you out.

Where did you ded?

The drop on Iron Monkey is actually easier than the 'B-Line' on the right. 

6 weeks? I assume no broken bones... Heal up punk, first proper #enduro bail?

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Where did you ded?

The drop on Iron Monkey is actually easier than the 'B-Line' on the right. 

6 weeks? I assume no broken bones... Heal up punk, first proper #enduro bail?

I wish it was while trying the drop! Haha, armageddon 5 right after the wall ride, such a silly every weekend crash…front wheel just gets hung up momentarily on a rock…fall into the trailside foliage, break my helmet against a rock…and re-posteriorly dislocate by shoulder. its going to be so floppy now, next time the wind blows too hard its going to come out

ps: ive decided that i have Adamantium clavicles…unbreakable, rather just push the shoulder out the back🤣 

Edited by MORNE

17 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I wish it was while trying the drop! Haha, armageddon 5 right after the wall ride, such a silly every weekend crash…front wheel just gets hung up momentarily on a rock…fall into the trailside foliage, break my helmet against a rock…and re-posteriorly dislocate by shoulder. its going to be so floppy now, next time the wind blows too hard its going to come out

ps: ive decided that i have Adamantium clavicles…unbreakable, rather just push the shoulder out the back🤣 

That sucks. New helmet, wonky skouer and some dodgy confidence levels next time you ride there!

On the bright side you can ride the Gravel/road bikes which is still good.

I was tempted to ask for the entry but I can't buy myself that sort of free time next Sunday unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

CALLING ALL ENDUROBRO's

How about making this event a day earlier? @WC_Enduro?

#itcanbedone

hahahahaha

I was having this conversation the other day. The difference between fun riding and racing and why racing for a weekend funrider can be bothersom.

Bad weather on race day... you've entered, you feel obligated, you know it will be a pain but you go anyway, knowing it will cost you some money and bike parts and potentially some nasty wounds.

Bad weather on normal ride day? Don't go ride.

BUT you race what is presented on race day. The famous 'How does he sit down' run by Danny Hart wouldn't exist if they just said 'yeah nah, bad weather, let's race tomorrow'.... 

The elements are as much part of the racing as anything, which takes me full circle to the fact that racing, for an average weekender is dumb, especially if you feel obligated to go despite knowing you won't place and will definitely degrade your bike.

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahahaha

I was having this conversation the other day. The difference between fun riding and racing and why racing for a weekend funrider can be bothersom.

Bad weather on race day... you've entered, you feel obligated, you know it will be a pain but you go anyway, knowing it will cost you some money and bike parts and potentially some nasty wounds.

Bad weather on normal ride day? Don't go ride.

BUT you race what is presented on race day. The famous 'How does he sit down' run by Danny Hart wouldn't exist if they just said 'yeah nah, bad weather, let's race tomorrow'.... 

The elements are as much part of the racing as anything, which takes me full circle to the fact that racing, for an average weekender is dumb, especially if you feel obligated to go despite knowing you won't place and will definitely degrade your bike.

This is exactly right. Look, I'm happy to ride on Sunday, but I'm just not lus for the cold and wet. But I've entered, and a mate is arriving this evening from Jozi, also having entered.

So, I guess its a case of "suck it up, cupcake!"

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This is exactly right. Look, I'm happy to ride on Sunday, but I'm just not lus for the cold and wet. But I've entered, and a mate is arriving this evening from Jozi, also having entered.

So, I guess its a case of "suck it up, cupcake!"

I have not entered, due to my stance above, despite really wanting to. 

I will instead do something mild in the drizzle, like play soggy golf, take the dog for a run or watch TV if it's really junk.

All the while thinking 'I wonder what the enduro is like'... 

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

All the while thinking 'I wonder what the enduro is like'... 

I can only hope and pray it isn't anything like the day the Cape Epic visited Lourensford.

what a poo-fest that ended up being.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

to the fact that racing, for an average weekender is dumb, especially if you feel obligated to go despite knowing you won't place and will definitely degrade your bike.

What he said.  

I paid my entry and I am torn.  I know Jonkers when the NorthWester is howling and sheets of rain gushes through.  We can call it mountainbiking in any conditions, but I am not 30 and single anymore, I pay for expensive parts myself, so if I am trying proof something, the fact is, nobody cares.  Just go and ride the trails on Monday.... 🤣