Western Cape Enduro 2023

MORNE

27 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Rode Monkey 6 and 5 last week. Great balls of thunder!!! 5 is a bit of a rock festival. I'll need to go do a repeat this coming Saturday again. Other than that, I'm super excited to be back at Jonkers again after Paarl.

Also rode there last week. There seems to have been a few guys doing a recce run :)

We rode Phoenix, DH and Iron Monkey, wanted to do a full enduro run, but we ran out of time.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Rode Monkey 6 and 5 last week. Great balls of thunder!!! 5 is a bit of a rock festival. I'll need to go do a repeat this coming Saturday again. Other than that, I'm super excited to be back at Jonkers again after Paarl.

Yea that off camber left turn right after the big drop will have me taking a go on it with flats again this weekend. Got unclipped there last time and just couldnt get back in…which sucked. And I swear it just happens at jonkers haha. Combo of the soil, hike a bike and rocks

4 minutes ago, Jako De Wet said:

Also rode there last week. There seems to have been a few guys doing a recce run :)

We rode Phoenix, DH and Iron Monkey, wanted to do a full enduro run, but we ran out of time.

I also went there with that idea last weekend and only managed armageddon and monky top to bottom. It was crazy humid too. This weekend looks like pushing 30* again

3 hours ago, Jako De Wet said:

I just ran out of legs. :whistling: Next week is going to be a big day out for sure.

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Yea that off camber left turn right after the big drop will have me taking a go on it with flats again this weekend. Got unclipped there last time and just couldnt get back in…which sucked. And I swear it just happens at jonkers haha. Combo of the soil, hike a bike and rocks

That off-camber bit is the actual reason I'm wanting to go back again on the weekend. The rest I got figured out, but on my first run I came down that chute beside that crazy drop and then when I saw that left hander it was a involuntary, but firm NO! I'm not willing to lose time because I didn't scope the line properly, so I need to go session it some more.

All in all, this is going to be an awesome day, except I suspect attempting Monkey 5 on properly tired  and pumped arms and legs will be a challenge, making it even more gnarly than it already is.

If only one could do that stage first :whistling:

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

That off-camber bit is the actual reason I'm wanting to go back again on the weekend. The rest I got figured out, but on my first run I came down that chute beside that crazy drop and then when I saw that left hander it was a involuntary, but firm NO! I'm not willing to lose time because I didn't scope the line properly, so I need to go session it some more.

All in all, this is going to be an awesome day, except I suspect attempting Monkey 5 on properly tired  and pumped arms and legs will be a challenge, making it even more gnarly than it already is.

If only one could do that stage first :whistling:

They were open the last time do do in whatever order? Maybe they do that again. The plan will for sure be to get the two rocky ones out the way and then just hold on for dear life with floppy legs on the fast ones.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

They were open the last time do do in whatever order? Maybe they do that again. The plan will for sure be to get the two rocky ones out the way and then just hold on for dear life with floppy legs on the fast ones.

THEY ARE ALL ROCKY at the the moment hahahaha. Well except DH. Ironic...

Hey girls and Guys,

We will be doing a group ride at MTO Trails - Jonkershoek this coming Sunday 16 April. The aim for the ride is to show people the trails that will be included in the Western Cape Enduro Lite event (Melissa and I will be riding Iron Monkey after for whoever wants to join)

These are Red Phoenix and Armageddon. So details for the ride...

Time: Meet at 8am, ride at 8:15am

Place: MTO Trails - Jonkershoek

Distance: +- 17Km

Elevation: +- 700m

Est ride duration: 3 hours

Permits: Available at the gate

They trails are marked as red trails. Red trails are harder than blue but slightly easier than black. Obstacles on the trails have B-lines but trails are loose, rocky and rutted at the moment. Please keep this in mind should you wish to join. And remember... ride within your limits.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I recall the last one at Jonkers explicitly being Plumber, Phoenix and DH in any order, but that they had to be done before starting Arma or Monkey in any order again. This was to ensure that the folks at the top of the mountain on the far side did not end up spending the whole day out there. Maybe this has changed, but I sure don't look forward to riding Monkey on legs that force me to hold on for dear life.

[edit] apparently Phoenix is even rockier than Arma at the moment, so there's that too ;)

Edited by Robbie Stewart

22 minutes ago, Warren Melissa Go Riding said:

THEY ARE ALL ROCKY at the the moment hahahaha. Well except DH. Ironic...

Award for most ironic name goes to Jonkers DH. That line is very reminiscent of a flow line. Still rides lekker though.

not dissing anyone. ek sê maar net . . .

Just now, Robbie Stewart said:

Award for most ironic name goes to Jonkers DH. That line is very reminiscent of a flow line. Still rides lekker though.

not dissing anyone. ek sê maar net . . .

You must ride it after hundreds of DH bikes have been practising for a day - surface turns to dust, big ruts, high speeds and tricky gaps you have to make low down or you have no chance of a decent time.  That said its not as gnarly as upper Phoenix where you could launch off the mountain quite easily if you get it wrong...

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I have entered but I am now feeling fearful - hopefully my 180 fork can handle all the rocks and what if it rains? So many enduro worries.

I was attempting Monkey 5 on my 120 Camber. The looks I was getting at the top. . .

1 hour ago, Warren Melissa Go Riding said:

Hey girls and Guys,

We will be doing a group ride at MTO Trails - Jonkershoek this coming Sunday 16 April. The aim for the ride is to show people the trails that will be included in the Western Cape Enduro Lite event (Melissa and I will be riding Iron Monkey after for whoever wants to join)

These are Red Phoenix and Armageddon. So details for the ride...

Time: Meet at 8am, ride at 8:15am

Place: MTO Trails - Jonkershoek

Distance: +- 17Km

Elevation: +- 700m

Est ride duration: 3 hours

Permits: Available at the gate

They trails are marked as red trails. Red trails are harder than blue but slightly easier than black. Obstacles on the trails have B-lines but trails are loose, rocky and rutted at the moment. Please keep this in mind should you wish to join. And remember... ride within your limits.

I think i might join you on sunday. The last scout ride was fun. Melissa can hand out some pro tips about riding flats these days, ill need them🤣

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

You must ride it after hundreds of DH bikes have been practising for a day - surface turns to dust, big ruts, high speeds and tricky gaps you have to make low down or you have no chance of a decent time.  That said its not as gnarly as upper Phoenix where you could launch off the mountain quite easily if you get it wrong...

Even iron monkey was very powdery 2 weekends ago….like the few soil bits in between all the rocks I mean😅

Edited by MORNE

Rode Armageddon Iron Monkey and Phoenix this morning. They're a lot better after the bit of rain and I saw the guys hard at work on a section of Phoenix fixing up the trail.

Did Iron Monkey for the 1st time today and 5 was for sure an eye opener...actually track walked for the first time in my life🤣