Cape Town Cycling Clubs

Thomo

Hi.

It's the lead up to CTCT and there were "thousands" of cyclists on the various parts of the route yesterday.

While this isn't surprising, the absence of obvious club activity was noticable and has been for a while now.

Are clubs no longer fashionable.?

Are people opting for smaller informal groups.?

Which clubs are still active in Cape Town and Southern Suburbs.?

Edited by Thomo

There are more than a few active clubs

this weekend was the 99er so many club riders would have been drafting on Saturday and veering on Sunday 

Edited by DieselnDust

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

There are more than a few active clubs

I'd like to think so too, but I don't see the same levels of activity or visibility that there was 5 - 10 years ago, specifically around the southern suburbs and Atlantic seaboard.

Northern suburbs and beyond may be very different.

Can you name some active clubs.?

Edited by Thomo

Club 100

Team Infinity Cycling Club

Cape Town Giants

The BMC guys (Not sure if they're as registered club but there are always more than just a handful of them around)

Star Cycling Club

These are just a few teams I usually see on weekends when riding around the Southern Suburbs and Peninsula, There are quite a few more.

2 minutes ago, Thomo said:

I'd like to think so too, but I don't see the same levels of activity or visibility that there was 5 - 10 years ago, specifically around the southern suburbs and Atlantic seaboard.

Northern suburbs and beyond may be very different.

Can you name some active clubs.?

Yeah sure , city cycling and atheltics, rode from edgemead. 
lifecycle rides from Tolai.

club100 from constantia village 

Star team

infinity

outcasts

Etc there is a list on the wpcycling.com website

i agree there has been a decline in clubs over the years but I think that has more to do with politics and often poor leadership.  City is probably one  of the most involved clubs as far as the racing and events goes and they achieve a lot of success at the SA Road Champs. 

there is also some exciting stuff brewing with an event outside of Cape Town that will hopefully reignite some interest in club membership. So maybe watch this space.

however , back to the original point . Clubs are still very active just maybe not as races as they were 10years ago but hopefully that fire is about to be reignited 

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Don’t forget City Cycling Club. We’re on the roads almost every single day.

Yes 100% and always eeing you guys. Just didn't mention City Cycling Club or Outriders as OP was asking about Southern Suburbs.

3 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

... OP was asking about Southern Suburbs.

Yip. Particularly curious about the southern suburbs and CBD.

Northern suburbs appear to be in a much better space.

I acknowledge and I am familiar with many of the names mentioned, but even they are far less visible than before.

Infinity would possibly be the one exception.

1 minute ago, Thomo said:

Yip. Particularly curious about the southern suburbs and CBD.

Northern suburbs appear to be in a much better space.

I acknowledge and I am familiar with many of the names mentioned, but even they are far less visible than before.

Infinity would possibly be the one exception.

Southern suburbs clubs are in trouble. Retaining members is a problem, no new ideas. Politics and ego are the biggest enemy’s 

The only reason people would join a club is CSA you have to be part of one. I am part of outriders for this reason. 

Also, Southern suburbs and Town are clicky, goes against the club vibe. 

Then there are committees, prefer cycling groups to be run by a benevolent dictator.  

34 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Southern suburbs clubs are in trouble. Retaining members is a problem, no new ideas. Politics and ego are the biggest enemy’s 

Agreed, and while those "enemies" are not unique to cycling clubs, they do appear more prevalent than in other sporting codes.

2 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Agreed, and while those "enemies" are not unique to cycling clubs, they do appear more prevalent than in other sporting codes.

What is the benefit of a formal club?

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Hi.

It's the lead up to CTCT and there were "thousands" of cyclists on the various parts of the route yesterday.

While this isn't surprising, the absence of obvious club activity was noticable and has been for a while now.

Are clubs no longer fashionable.?

Are people opting for smaller informal groups.?

Which clubs are still active in Cape Town and Southern Suburbs.?

It all depends what you are looking for in a club.....

There are still plenty active clubs in the southern suburbs

Cyclewize (est 2022) still growing day by day

Giants

Club100

CycleLab but looks like they moving North to the new shop

Some clubs operate on Saturdays so thats also why you might not see them

55 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

What is the benefit of a formal club?

Real or perceived benefits aside, where does one without access to any informal groups start.?