Two mature cyclists and the Cross Cape Cycle Route

Mr Legs

We started Day 8 with a leisurely drive down Swellendam’s Main road. My buddy grew up in the town and he showed me a few places he remembered from primary school days, including the church. In the 1970’s his family was excommunicated by their Swellendam church for committing the grave sin of inviting a “coloured” family for dinner.

Outside the town we travelled east on a gravel road, always keeping just north of the Breede River. We eventually crossed the Breede close to Klawervlei Stud Farm. You might be interested to know that Kommetdieding, one of only seven horses to do the Met / July double is now on Klawervlei, doing his thing with the mares. After Klawervlei we cycled along farms, until my mate decided that we were off course and that we had to backtrack. I had downloaded the route from the Cross Cape website, but the routing was a bit iffy. We went back and took another route, but after about 7 or 8 km we realized that shouldn’t have turned around, so we jumped in the car and Mario took us back to the correct route. We wasted about an hour. Then it was the climb up and down to Stormsvlei. We took a right just before Stormsvlei and took a rough gravel road through a farming area, there was a few farm gates to open and close. A headwind also added another challenge, but, looking back, we were still happy to be cycling. We crossed the N2 about 5 km outside Riviersonderend and cycled on the old and overgrown old road into the town. It might be better just to skip the section, if you have the luxury of a backup vehicle. We had a lunch, left overs at the dam next to the Caltex garage in Riviersondderend and then loaded the bikes and drove to Greyton where we will sleep for the next two nights. At Greyton we clocked in at Die Wasbak, a quaint cottage on a leafy erf.

We had an early dinner at 1854, a very good T bone and chips. In 2014 the two of us had a “training camp” in Greyton to prepare for the Karoo to Coast and we also had dinner at 1854. As always we had an early night. Distance 70.3km.

20230224_091028_Moment.jpg

20230224_102830 copy.jpg

20230224_132510.jpg

IMG_20230224_171041_034.jpg

IMG-20230224-WA0014-01 copy.jpg

20230224_125306 (2).jpg

Edited by Mr Legs

What a fantastic trip and feedback. Do you mind me asking approximate cost? (I guess there is a luxury option and a roughing it option)

Also, the backup vehicle, did it follow you religiously the whole way or meet up with you at certain points on route each day?

Thanks. Definitely a bucket list item. 

29 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

What a fantastic trip and feedback. Do you mind me asking approximate cost? (I guess there is a luxury option and a roughing it option)

Also, the backup vehicle, did it follow you religiously the whole way or meet up with you at certain points on route each day?

Thanks. Definitely a bucket list item. 

The driver was contracted/employed by us, he followed us most of the route, there were two sections closed for vehicles where he took a different route. We had him in the background following most of the time. One condition was that we did not want to hear the car and then there were two tarred uphill sections where we thought that there was a risk of vehicles from behind, so we had him drive 30-40 m behind us to protect us from other vehicles. But we had a coolbag in the car so when ever we needed something he was there in minutes.

We certainly did the luxury option, but we are old and sort of semi retired, accommodation was from R1350 to R 2500 per night and we did not scimp on food, steak 8 out of ten nights. Total cost without the drivers fee, but including his accommodation and food was about R 35 000 for the two of us. If you camp, skip the driver and eat hiking / camping type food you will be able to cut that amount by a very big margin. We did spend some money on preparing and maintaining the bikes.

Your thread is bringing back some wonderful memories. A friend and myself did this trip unsupported in April last year and it was honestly the hi-light of my entire cycling career 🤙

I can strongly recommend it to anyone with an adventurous spirit.

We started Day 9 with a 05:00 wake up call, Mario took us back to Riversonderend and we cycled back to Greyton. On the way we met a big group of cyclists, we also saw them in the restaurant last night and I was surprised to see them on the road so early, I am just judging on the noise and chatter and laughter coming from their table the previous evening. We went through Greyton and on past Genadendal and Voorstekop / Voorstekraal. We wanted to get extra miles under the belt as the proposed route calls for a 107 km stage from Greyton to Stellenbosch on the last day. So every km we cycle west from Greyton today, will be cut from tomorrow, our last stage. We were on the Middelplaas Road and I thought we had a bit of a tailwind, so we made up good ground. The road or pass we were on goes under a number of different names: Rusty Gate Pass, Helderstroom Road and also passes the eponymous prison where we saw some of the inmates in their orange clothes working in the field next to the road. The two guards looked a bit old and rotund to me. I would have taken my chances to make a breakout had I been a prisoner there.

We reached the R43, running between the N2 and Villiersdorp and decided to go over the top to the Theewaterskloof side, as one certainly do not want to start the last day with a steep hill and then we also took the downhill up to the Draaiberg Road where Mario was waiting with a Steri Stumpie. He took us back to Greyton for an afternoon rest. Then we went to 1854 for a very early dinner. T bone and chips. There was a band, The Fleas, doing a sound check for their evening set and we stayed a bit longer to hear them play. The Fleas were up to scratch and played great blues and we felt the occasion, being the last night of the trip, called for a brandy and, as we needed some sugar, we topped it with real Coke. Mario took me back to Die Wasbak, my buddy said he wanted to walk back, just to stretch his legs. I was in bed when he arrived and he dragged me out of bed for an ABF rum and coke, this being the last night of the trip and all. By 22h00 the house was quiet, Distance 74.1km.

20230225_173005 copy.jpg

20230225_074120 copy.jpg

20230225_074133 copy.jpg

20230225_074154 copy.jpg

20230225_075656 copy.jpg

20230225_114533 copy.jpg

Edited by Mr Legs

Wow this is such an amazing story , thank you very much. How can one get the GPX files if possible? My wife and i are planning a trip in October from Uniondale to Mosselbay , we will be following the Pelgrims Route that was shown on Kyknet some time back......very exited about it !!

We were up at 05h30 on Day 10 to pack and load the bikes on the car. Mario took us to the start of Draaiberg Road where we ended Day 9. Being real manne we were not emotional at all at the start of the last stage, just a fist pump and a photo to commerate the occasion. There is some construction on Draaiberg, it appears it will be tarred soon. We went over the bridge that dissects the narrow middle portion of the Theewaterskloof Dam. I saw that the river that feeds the dam is the Sonderend River. There was a little bit of a tail wind in the flat section leading to the start of the Franschhoek Pass. The road was quiet, being early Sunday morning, but there were the odd motorbike and a few high-powered sports cars. The Franschhoek Pass has a smooth good surface and not steep at all, one can keep up a good pace without too much effort. It does carry on and on, but after 10 days in the saddle we were used to hills and we reached to top feeling good. We felt even better when we tumbled down on the Franschhoek side. I did my usual trick of passing a few cars on the downhill and upon entering the town we certainly exceeded the speed limit of 60km/h.

From Franschhoek to Boschendal was a breeze. A strongish breeze from behind. We did so well that I recorded my fastest 40km ever on my Garmin, despite the fact that Helshoogte Pass was also included in the 40km!

We stopped our bike computers at my buddies’ house in Stellenbosch. We were greeted by our loving wives with kisses, hugs, cold beers, white wine, leg of lamb, chicken pie, oxtail, pumpkin fritters and salads. No wonder I had to take a short nap before I could load my car and drive home. Distance 68.3km.

It was an incredible experience, I am grateful that I am healthy enough to do these kind of activities at an age were many others do not do any exercise at all. Then there was the route from Plett, Knysna, George, Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Vanwyksvlei, Riversdale, Riviersonderend, Greyton, Franschhoek to Stellenbosch. Every day was a highlight. Rivers, Mountains, Trees, Fields, Farms. Then it was a great privilege to do the trip with a good friend, thank you H. Thank you for waiting for me at the top of the climbs. As soon as we can teach you to go downhill without braking, you will be a good cyclist! The two of us will be going on another adventure in April, this time hiking Angola’s imfamous Death Acre. And I have another cycling route almost worked out.

IMG-20230226-WA0038 copy.jpg

20230226_074810 copy.jpg

20230226_082359 copy.jpg

20230226_090237 copy.jpg

20230226_091808 copy.jpg

46 minutes ago, Help.Me. said:

Wow this is such an amazing story , thank you very much. How can one get the GPX files if possible? My wife and i are planning a trip in October from Uniondale to Mosselbay , we will be following the Pelgrims Route that was shown on Kyknet some time back......very exited about it !!

You can download the files from the Cross Cape Cycle website.

I also followed the Pilgrims Route series. I saw their red signboards a few times in the beginning of the trip. I have been fortunate to have been on a couple of trips with Erns: a hike in the Karoo, a hike along the Skeleton Coast of Namibia and last year a backpacking trip to Malawi.

Lovely daily reports!
This route is brilliant and certainly brought back good memories of when we did it last year.

Great report! The photo's are amazing and I know it'll be even better in person.

Makes me even more excited about our trip... I've organised a group of 9 riders plus support driver for the first week of June, a slightly more strenuous version over just 6 days 😁

1 minute ago, wolver said:

Great report! The photo's are amazing and I know it'll be even better in person.

Makes me even more excited about our trip... I've organised a group of 9 riders plus support driver for the first week of June, a slightly more strenuous version over just 6 days 😁

Enjoy, it will be a great experience. Even at 100km per day.😂