Ride with Enduro Bearings Inside

News bot

When Rush Sports contacted us to discuss how to get the word out on their unique bearing warranty, we had to visit their Johannesburg operation to find out just how this outrageous offer could be possible. Guaranteed for life is not something that is commonplace in wear and tear components on bicycles, yet this is […]

View full article

The Ones from Bearing Man Group are Good Enough for me. (Whatever brand they got is fine 4 me)

I like Changing them Now and Again.

Actually the Ones that come with the bike from Factory seem to fail more than the replacements.

If only you could find and buy what you actually wanted and what they claim to sell. It is made to sound so simple in this article, the reality is you go to a bike shop to pay the premium for \"specific\" bicycle bearings and they never have what you are looking for and try sell you what they stock (which is usually a generic bearing which can be bought from a bearing supplier at 1/3rd the cost) or you sit trying to explain to the salesman with a long face what you actually want. Rush needs an online store where you can search for the bearing you need and not what the shop has in stock... but I also suppose they are not really interested in supporting the little guy.

47 minutes ago, Mechcal said:

If only you could find and buy what you actually wanted and what they claim to sell. It is made to sound so simple in this article, the reality is you go to a bike shop to pay the premium for \"specific\" bicycle bearings and they never have what you are looking for and try sell you what they stock (which is usually a generic bearing which can be bought from a bearing supplier at 1/3rd the cost) or you sit trying to explain to the salesman with a long face what you actually want. Rush needs an online store where you can search for the bearing you need and not what the shop has in stock... but I also suppose they are not really interested in supporting the little guy.

Hi Mechcal - sorry to read about your frustration here, feel free to DM me directly with the details on this as I would be interested to know.

We regularly [every 30 days] supply 150+ retailers with a pretty extensive range of bearings, and are constantly working with their workshop managers to ensure they have stock of what they need for the bikes they see on a regular day-to-day basis. In addition to this, we are able to process orders and get them off to dealers pretty quickly [generally dispatched the same day and sent overnight to all major centres across SA.

The challenge for any dealer is always going to be complete cover. With the multitude of bicycle brands, differing applications etc, it is extremely difficult for them to have absolutely everything, and this is why we work on processing and shipping orders as quickly as we can, so that where there are items that are "irregular" for them we are able to get them out ASAP.

Regarding supporting the little guy", though we don't supply directly to the public, supporting independent bicycle retailers of all shapes and sizes is exactly what we try to do. Given our spread of products we tend to cover everything from the most high-end premium retailers to the smaller general trading stores in far outlying areas. I've personally fielded dozens of calls and emails this year alone from consumers looking for specific bearings for their bicycles who I have directed to retailers and ensured that the retailer either has the stock on hand or has it enroute, and I always welcome these calls or emails from consumers, especially on the more niche / hard to find bearing sizes. 

45 minutes ago, Andre van Aarde said:

Hi Mechcal - sorry to read about your frustration here, feel free to DM me directly with the details on this as I would be interested to know.

We regularly [every 30 days] supply 150+ retailers with a pretty extensive range of bearings, and are constantly working with their workshop managers to ensure they have stock of what they need for the bikes they see on a regular day-to-day basis. In addition to this, we are able to process orders and get them off to dealers pretty quickly [generally dispatched the same day and sent overnight to all major centres across SA.

The challenge for any dealer is always going to be complete cover. With the multitude of bicycle brands, differing applications etc, it is extremely difficult for them to have absolutely everything, and this is why we work on processing and shipping orders as quickly as we can, so that where there are items that are "irregular" for them we are able to get them out ASAP.

Regarding supporting the little guy", though we don't supply directly to the public, supporting independent bicycle retailers of all shapes and sizes is exactly what we try to do. Given our spread of products we tend to cover everything from the most high-end premium retailers to the smaller general trading stores in far outlying areas. I've personally fielded dozens of calls and emails this year alone from consumers looking for specific bearings for their bicycles who I have directed to retailers and ensured that the retailer either has the stock on hand or has it enroute, and I always welcome these calls or emails from consumers, especially on the more niche / hard to find bearing sizes. 

Hi Andre, appreciate the reply, my intention is not to discredit your company, only bring to light what I feel is a shortcoming in your business model.  I fully understand how difficult it must be for the shop to carry the various stock, hence my suggestion for an online direct to consumer store. Ultimately the problem is I am a private individual with very niche requirements.  Will have a chat in private.

I use BMG for non-critical bearings and Enduro for BB and pivot (Max) bearings. I've seen scientific studies that show that ceramic aren't all they're "cracked" up to be in cycling....

2 hours ago, Mechcal said:

Hi Andre, appreciate the reply, my intention is not to discredit your company, only bring to light what I feel is a shortcoming in your business model.  I fully understand how difficult it must be for the shop to carry the various stock, hence my suggestion for an online direct to consumer store. Ultimately the problem is I am a private individual with very niche requirements.  Will have a chat in private.

Almost everyone has “niche requirements”

That’s when you sit down with your LBS and you help them understand what your requirements are.

As for Rush Sports, they deal with the LBS because the LBS in return supports them.

Its also impossible for a LBS to carry every imaginable bearing out there.

It becomes difficult to control and it becomes an immensely costly exercise.

I needed a 6702 bearing quite urgently for the lockout mechanism on a Fox fork last week.

Not common to replace and not a common size at all.

A quick look on the B2B showed stock, and Rush with their super effective warehousing system were quick to dispatch, and yes I ordered more than one.

Thats how a LBS eventually builds up the stock for the demand they have.

16 hours ago, love2fly said:

I use BMG for non-critical bearings and Enduro for BB and pivot (Max) bearings. I've seen scientific studies that show that ceramic aren't all they're "cracked" up to be in cycling....

There is some super interesting test data [independently verified] that I've seen in regards to ceramic bearings. There definitely are some pretty unfounded claims here... One of the most challenging things is of course where the information is coming from, who is conducting the "testing" and what the intended agenda is (there is always an agenda or a purpose). I think the same is true for many things, but in cycling specifically at the moment there is a lot of this type of "testing" being done and published on things such as chains, lubricants and of course ceramic bearings.

One of the biggest take away things I've seen from the data Enduro have sent us is that from new there is virtually no significant gain in any premium bearing related product from any of the brands tested. The "gains" happen in what is called "watt soak" which is essentially the loss of efficiency in the bearing over time and the impact that this degradation has in friction and resistance. But this is a topic in and of itself :)

16 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Almost everyone has “niche requirements”

That’s when you sit down with your LBS and you help them understand what your requirements are.

As for Rush Sports, they deal with the LBS because the LBS in return supports them.

Its also impossible for a LBS to carry every imaginable bearing out there.

It becomes difficult to control and it becomes an immensely costly exercise.

I needed a 6702 bearing quite urgently for the lockout mechanism on a Fox fork last week.

Not common to replace and not a common size at all.

A quick look on the B2B showed stock, and Rush with their super effective warehousing system were quick to dispatch, and yes I ordered more than one.

Thats how a LBS eventually builds up the stock for the demand they have.

Thanks for the message. This is exactly it; ultimately our focus is to supply product through independent retailers, but this does not mean that we're palming off the consumer. In fact we're working harder than ever to get more and more information to the consumer so that they are able to make better and more informed purchase decisions. And at the same time, we're also working to better train, educate and empower BOTH the consumer and the retailer.

Relationships are always key, and having a good relationship with your local bicycle shop and workshop is always a great start, especially in a sport such as cycling. Much like training, repetition builds perfection, and in the workshop this is very true. The more consistent we are with who and where we get to service our bike, the better and more experienced this mechanic and workshop get with both us and our trusty bicycle. This not only helps when (not if) things go wrong, but it also helps to ensure that things get right more and more often.

I will say this, I think that Rush has priced their bearings more competitively as a few years ago the disparity between them and a reasonable "non-junk" quality bearing was significant. Good on you guys