Chain with white powder

Eugene

14 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

I believe that these treatments are over rated and not necessary.

It's a normal Chain Underneath.

Money Making Rackets.

So much Wax on the Outside of the Chain ! What for ?

Nothing You cannot Achieve with a good soak of your favorite wax lube.

Not entirely correct, done extensive testing with treated chains, a correctly treated chain does save watts, however not all sales pitches on a specific product is correct. 

16 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Not entirely correct, done extensive testing with treated chains, a correctly treated chain does save watts, however not all sales pitches on a specific product is correct. 

Yes, very interesting stuff (although sponsored and possibly biased) on Dylan Johnson's podcast about which chain/which treatment (I think the last video he released is about which chains are faster/slower, but there's been other ones about which treatments)

In the end it's all a choice between how many watts you can save vs how much of a headache it is.

At the moment I'm running dura ace chains on my roadbike/mtb (fastest chain), but XO1 chain on the my gravel bike, which is the 2nd slowest chain, but I only ride this bike for training, the day I want to race it I might put on a dura ace or buy a KMC chain or something, because on a 6 hour race, a handful of watts can be interesting to get 😅 (could be more since I'm on a 1by set up so cross chaining half of the time)

All my bikes run on melted wax+ liquid parafin, I do them every 2ond week or so, and because I'm lazy AF I put some Sqirt in between treatments. Any more than that (adding PTFE, using Absolute black treatments...) seems like too much work/fuss for less than a couple extra watts

Edited by Jbr

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

Yes, very interesting stuff (although sponsored and possibly biased) on Dylan Johnson's podcast about which chain/which treatment (I think the last video he released is about which chains are faster/slower, but there's been other ones about which treatments)

In the end it's all a choice between how many watts you can save vs how much of a headache it is.

At the moment I'm running dura ace chains on my roadbike/mtb (fastest chain), but XO1 chain on the my gravel bike, which is the 2nd slowest chain, but I only ride this bike for training, the day I want to race it I might put on a dura ace or buy a KMC chain or something, because on a 6 hour race, a handful of watts can be interesting to get 😅 (could be more since I'm on a 1by set up so cross chaining half of the time)

All my bikes run on melted wax+ liquid parafin, I do them every 2ond week or so, and because I'm lazy AF I put some Sqirt in between treatments. Any more than that (adding PTFE, using Absolute black treatments...) seems like too much work/fuss for less than a couple extra watts

Not sure what you saying here? 

You to lazy to implement a performance improvement on your bikes - considering they 2 different bikes so you cannot compare them against each other - or that you a fun rider and happy with basic maintenance? 

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

Not sure what you saying here? 

You to lazy to implement a performance improvement on your bikes - considering they 2 different bikes so you cannot compare them against each other - or that you a fun rider and happy with basic maintenance? 

I'm saying as a non pro without a dedicated mechanic to do my chains every 500km or everytime I get rained on or muddy, I sometimes just put some Squirt on when I don't have time to do the full process before a C race or during the week when I know my chain is a bit dry.

Most of the time I'm doing what I believe is the important part of the maintenance to get the most part of the gains, and sacrifice the last possible marginal gains by not adding PTFE to my wax (more because it's not that easy to source and not sure how volatile/toxic it can be), or using a silca/absolute black/ceramic speed recipe. I realise there's probably a few more watts to gain but to be honest I'm not sure it's worth the extra trouble. Maybe later on when the current hotwax process becomes a bit less of a mission everytime (cooking it on my stove with the family around me in the kitchen 😅).