[Event] The Gallows

The Gallows

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

what gearing do you have for the last climb?

A 2x…thigh big ring and calf’s small ring = walking pace.😅

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/15/2024 at 7:44 PM, betaboy said:

That race looks epic, you guys better drop back here and give us a report! I don’t have the fitness… but I should line up in 2025. 

You can always skip Galgeberg and just peel off coming back at Lords. The course is really good even without the climb altho admittedly defeats the whole point of doing it.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Not sure yet.... I'll see how swartberg goes. I rode up most of that 2:1 with 700cc wheels, so with 20" I'm hoping 2.2 or so will work

Another test is Tokai Mast which I see the okes are doing soon. That is not nearly as steep as Galgeberg but it will give you a good idea how much walking you will be doing.

15 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Another test is Tokai Mast which I see the okes are doing soon. That is not nearly as steep as Galgeberg but it will give you a good idea how much walking you will be doing.

Yeah, that's my plan.

Do a few rolls and finish with a mast climb

I don't want to be too slow on the main bit, so I don't mind jogging up parts of Galgaberg.

Or I'll do it on the BMX with gears. I'll see. It's good gees building up to Munga

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

Oof, you make me consider trying to find a smaller chainring… or maybe a 52T cassette, 46T-50 might not be ideal if it’s steeper than tokai mast

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Oof, you make me consider trying to find a smaller chainring… or maybe a 52T cassette, 46T-50 might not be ideal if it’s steeper than tokai mast

Dude you have no idea, 52T for sure, I thought the hints were obvious in the promo videos (⚰️ ☠️ ) on the gram. You are literally going to question your life choices up that final climb. No exaggeration. 

10 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Dude you have no idea, 52T for sure, I thought the hints were obvious in the promo videos (⚰️ ☠️ ) on the gram. You are literally going to question your life choices up that final climb. No exaggeration. 

😢 😭  
When a stronger climber than you with better gearing gets recommended to change his gearing...

No real option for me to improve the 34:36. I'll put a stem sticker with all my life choices on the bike so I don't miss the opportunity to question all of them!

“Better climber” 😜 I beat you once on a climb, before then you had a 100% success on anything more than 5mins 🤣

but yeah, for Gallows it’s a head scratcher, I reckon best option would probably be 44 chainring with a 10-52 cassette which sucks because I have neither of those… otherwise I just go 42T chainring with my current 10-50T and hope I can hang on on the flats with the small chainring (I see average speed before the climb is 35kph… not sure if I can hold that on the 42T 😕😕

Same for tyres, I’d want lighter tyres but I also heard the gravel is a bit gnarly before the climb…

Edited by Jbr

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I beat you once on a climb, before then you had a 100% success

Only the last climb that counts 😉 

Luckily I'm so new to gravel I have no issues just riding what I've got. Next season I'll be overthinking every equipment choice for every race!

42 minutes ago, Jbr said:

“Better climber” 😜 I beat you once on a climb, before then you had a 100% success on anything more than 5mins 🤣

but yeah, for Gallows it’s a head scratcher, I reckon best option would probably be 44 chainring with a 10-52 cassette which sucks because I have neither of those… otherwise I just go 42T chainring with my current 10-50T and hope I can hang on on the flats with the small chainring (I see average speed before the climb is 35kph… not sure if I can hold that on the 42T 😕😕

Same for tyres, I’d want lighter tyres but I also heard the gravel is a bit gnarly before the climb…

I’d stick with the 42T and 10-50T. That lighter gear will be more beneficial i think than spinning out in small parts of the race.

Its not only the steepness of the climb but its the length that its steep for, just so relentless! On top of that is the 35kpmh average you mentioned, its full gas racing for 100km and then the climb. Also what you cant see on the profile because the final climb skews it so much, is that the whole course is pretty lumpy with a decent climb in the middle. Definitely study those videos!

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

(I see average speed before the climb is 35kph… not sure if I can hold that on the 42T 😕😕

A 40 x 11 is good for 55Kmhr before spinning out. Plenty of gearing for a gravel race unless you are Matt Beers.

5 minutes ago, SSCC said:

A 40 x 11 is good for 55Kmhr before spinning out. Plenty of gearing for a gravel race unless you are Matt Beers.

mmmh, will try the 40T the cranks came with after SA champs then, might save me a few bucks rather than having to buy/borrow a new chainring/new cassette

Alternatively stick to the current gearing so you can get the "full experience of going to the Gallows" 😈 I mean just look at Donovan & Dan's faces after crossing the line last year wouldn't you also want that experience?

33 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Does anyone have the stats for the last climb?

https://www.strava.com/segments/9309316

Galgeberg

image.png.ca407f2c673062199b671eccfd1d0574.png

vs Tokai mast :

image.png.220b7a36503ccd50cdb6d660258887e5.png

39 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Alternatively stick to the current gearing so you can get the "full experience of going to the Gallows" 😈 I mean just look at Donovan & Dan's faces after crossing the line last year wouldn't you also want that experience?

meh, if I could win my age cat and arrive fresh as a daisy that would be ideal 🤣

Edited by Jbr