Grinding noise on road bike with Campagnolo drivetrain.

Cippo

1 minute ago, Cippo said:

It’s a love affair.

I accept everyone ahs their thing, values of things differe person to oerson etc but shifters for almos 7k means they must have been made by Tullio himself, in handcuffs, hanging upside down in the dark. 

Buy a freebody service kit from Hubdoctor and all you Mavic problems will be solved. Common issue with Mavic wheels over the past few years. 

• 1 month later...

Howzit Cippo

I have the 2011 / 2012 R-Sys wheels, and I picked up what sounded like metal sound (I won't say grinding but almost metal on metal) clicking, rubbing now and then. Freewheeling the hub sounded like a terrible vibration rubbing noise when picking up speed like on a downhill. And then vanished when I pedalled, so I summed it to be something with the hub.

Called Dragon Sports and they said it could be the spokes with the clicking sound, maybe the tension on some caused, plus many more of what it could be, to replacing the FTS hub completely to rebuilding the wheel which they did not have the spokes  for.

Overwhelmed by the fact that its gonna cost big bucks without them mentioning it.

I stripped the hub, and saw that one of the pawls had come lose. I reattached gave it a service, but that is when I picked up that my hub had play. 

Did some digging and found the HubDoctor regarding these Mavic hubs which are problematic.

That fix was way to expensive and he did not post to SA. I found this cheap alternative. I little knuckle work and my problem was sorted.

Wheels have absolute no play and the pawls have not given me any issues since.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-hubs/642596/mavic-hubs-fts-l-fix-to-the-play-in-the-hub

Mavic just made a terrible nylon bush which wears over time within the hub.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, betaboy said:

I’d strip the hub, do some digging, could be a small bit that made its way into the hub mech, and when it engages freewheel it’s touching metal upon metal. Sometimes a misalignment on a leaf spring is the result. You see with alot of packed grease it can go unnoticed. Worth a second look in my opinion. Let us know if you come right.👍🏻

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-hubs/642596/mavic-hubs-fts-l-fix-to-the-play-in-the-hub

On 4/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, betaboy said:

I’d strip the hub, do some digging, could be a small bit that made its way into the hub mech, and when it engages freewheel it’s touching metal upon metal. Sometimes a misalignment on a leaf spring is the result. You see with alot of packed grease it can go unnoticed. Worth a second look in my opinion. Let us know if you come right.👍🏻

On 4/10/2023 at 1:01 PM, Cippo said:

I have a 2008 Colnago carbon frame with Record 10 speed. For past few months when descending especially there is a grinding noise when freewheeling which I thought was coming from BB area. When I pedal the noise goes away. We replaced crankset bearings and noise was still there. To date we have replaced chain, serviced Mavic hubs, freewheel body, replaced pedals, serviced Chris King headset, tried a different front wheel, checked the entire frame for cracks especially in BB area. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. Noise is there well into a ride, on CTCT it happened while descending Chappies and Suiker. Anyone with any advice please, thanks in advance.

There we go.........that is all you need to know.

So first off.
Just get a different rear wheel and ride with it.  
My gut feel is the noise will be gone.

I had this strange sound on MANY a mavic freewheel body.

Take the body off.  clean it.  The grease used to service it is too thick.  The prawls does not kick out or in correctly, cuasing that noise.  Most of the times it is accompanied by chain suck also.

Use a very very thin oil.  Mayby not even oil.....somthing like a Teflon spray maybe.......ask around......
I use Zipp's freewheelbody oil and it works well.

My 2c