[Event] Parys Road Outride

wesdrake

Event Name: Parys Road Outride
When: 09/09/2023
Where: Kyalami Sport & Function Venue, Plooysville AHMidrand, Gauteng
Category: Parys Road Outride

Drake Events presents the Parys Road Outride on Saturday, 09 September.

You'll depart Kyalami and get the climbing legs working early with most of the climbing for the day outside the start venue. Don't worry, what goes up must come down. Once you head through Boksburg, the route flattens out and doesn't present any notable climbs.

We're very excited to offer you a magnificent 198km route, as well as a relay option if the double century is a bit too far. 

You have a choice to ride in any of the three different paced groups, but ensure you're comfortable at the prescribed pace, as the groups are all no-drop groups.

This day is all about you and enjoying every minute spent in the saddle with like-minded riders. It's about the experience!

There is a smorgasbord of value-adds for your entry fee. Below are a few of the exciting services you will experience on the day;

- safe parking at the start venue

- think bike marshals

- support vehicles

- sponsored hydration

- water points with snacks & beverages

- gps charging station

- lunch stop 

- photographer

- finishers medal

- family-friendly finish venue

We look forward to hosting you and having an epic day out in the saddle.

All details for the ride can be viewed at https://drakeevents.co.za/parys-road-outride/

Enter at https://drakeevents.co.za/entry-form/

Go to Event Page.

cant you make it 2km longer so that its the full 200 ?

After last weeks ride I'm bookmarking this. Very interested.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, The Ouzo said:

cant you make it 2km longer so that its the full 200 ?

After last weeks ride I'm bookmarking this. Very interested.

Know the area of the finish well. We normally camp in the Parys area during December and these roads are my riding routes when we are in the area. There are two options to get more than 200km's. The first option is not to stop at the finish venue but to continue to the T junction which is about 5km's further up the road and return to the finish. The 2nd option is not to turn left towards the venue once over the river but to continue for another 1.2km and then turn left (Potch - Parys road), once on this road for about 2 - 3km you can turn left again into the Kopjeskraal road and after about 2km's you can turn left again, this road will also take you to the finish venue.

Also tempting for this ride.

35 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Know the area of the finish well. We normally camp in the Parys area during December and these roads are my riding routes when we are in the area. There are two options to get more than 200km's. The first option is not to stop at the finish venue but to continue to the T junction which is about 5km's further up the road and return to the finish. The 2nd option is not to turn left towards the venue once over the river but to continue for another 1.2km and then turn left (Potch - Parys road), once on this road for about 2 - 3km you can turn left again into the Kopjeskraal road and after about 2km's you can turn left again, this road will also take you to the finish venue.

I have it in my calendar. If funds and fitness allow I'm in. Also hoping I'll have the energy at the end of the ride to add the extra few kms. (maybe I should just do a 3km "warmup" before the start)

I’m really tempted by this too but I live in the Vaal, so logistically it’s totally the wrong way round.

3 hours ago, JJDT said:

Or for s#%ts and giggles just keep going straight and do Ertjies!

How do I get to the start from Parys?

11 hours ago, JJDT said:

The Kopjeskraal road has taken some shots after the rain. A bit bumpy with all the patchy repair work. Not ideal at the end of a double-ish century ride

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Furbz said:

is there a shuttle back to the start at all?

yes. @ R250

Also shower facilities at the end which is nice.

Disappointed that the meal at the finish is not included, and you have to pre-order if you want it.

Looking forward to this.

Edited by The Ouzo

5 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Unfortunately I'll be at the Kremetart race.  

Kremetart is on my to do list, decided to do this one as logistically is every so slightly easier for now.

• 4 weeks later...

@wesdrake when will more comms go out regarding final arrangements etc. just over a week to go. 

Long term weather forecast, hopefully that wind dies down a bit by next weekend  

IMG_0299.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a lekker ride @wesdrake

I'm still fatigued and sore.

A couple of points to maybe think about for the next one.

* Think Bike Marshals - I was in group 3 (26 km/h). We had a little issue going up Allandale where one or 2 guys were getting fed up with being slowed down so that the group could be closer together. Words were had with one of the bike marshals.

Unfortunately this bike marshal carried his aggression for a bit longer and when we detoured through Klopperkop he stopped us again and was rather aggressive in the manner in which he addressed us.

I can understand the pressure these guys must be under to get us around safely, but we're all adults and some calm communication goes along way.

*edited to add*  I also felt the bike marshal did not really understand that we dont have engines to pull us up the hills, we need to rely on momentum. Having us holding the breaks going downhill when there is an uphill infront of us was rather frustrating. Instead the could have slowed us on the uphill to get the group to close.

* I understood this to be a no drop ride, but we had 2 punctures in our group and the ladies were both told by others in the group to get on the support vehicle and fix the punctures whilst the rest of us carried on. A simple puncture should not disadvantage a rider like that, had we been riding for time then its would be a different story. Or had it been a bigger mechanical that would have the rest waiting for a long time then a decision could be made, but not for a simple puncture. Perhaps having a rider (or 2) allocated to control the pace and group dynamics might be a good thing.

120km stop - I get that timing is tricky, but I felt that in order to keep the groups 5 minutes apart, the slower group got compromised on time at the stop. The result being a feeling of being rushed. 

The Finish - now this one is possibly partly my fault. I, and a few others, rode on in order to get the full 200km, so we may have missed any communication etc. Once I collected my bags from the bus it was a case of asking around until someone was able to direct me to the showers. A quick icy shower, dropped the bags back at the bus and headed to the bar. I was able to get myself a drink and just as I started enjoying it we're told to head to the busses. I was not sure how to get my meal that I pre-ordered but decided I was to tired to eat anyway.

I'm not upset about the meal, just felt again we were a bit rushed. Although given the time we arrived back at Kyalami I do realise we could not have left very much later than we did.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, wesdrake said:

- photographer

- finishers medal

- family-friendly finish venue

On the above, could have been the fatigue, but I dont recall seeing a photographer.

Maybe because I crossed the finish line late, I did not receive a medal.

Again, it was a great day out on the bike (despite the unfortunate accident before Carnival City), if funds allow it I'll be back next year. this time with more experience and slightly better prepared. 

Thanks again

Edited by The Ouzo