How do bike shops justify prices

FirstV8

Three months ago i bought Pirieli tubes at Cycle Lab and paid R69 . This week i paid R99 for the same tube . A price increase of 43% . No justification of supplier increase , exchange loss , fuel cost , inflation or whatever you can add into the mix  will not justify that . What have you found to be the case with cycling products purchased lately . 

IMG_6146.jpg

You just missed their sale. Could have got R30 off your purchase. Prices are up all over and we have to reward those suppliers offering better prices (by buying there) and avoid the expensive ones.

Use the net to scout around on price and maximise on shops offering sale prices.

Not sure if the one might be old stock old price and the other "new" stock? I'm not saying it's the case but shipping costs has gone up 2 or 3x what it was. My wife works with imports and exports so I hear a lot about the prices and the rand not being worth anything is not helping at all. So don't just blame the bike shops. 

Yeah, from R17 per USD to R19.4 and working inflation in (even over three months), then price goes from R70 to R82. Not justifying the increase, but things are tough at the moment in the economy.

People (We) tend to forget that shops absorb, and absorb, and absorb, hoping that things will improve.

When they worsen, it is not only that worsening, plus the last 3 months' inflation, that need to be allowed for (in our thinking). 

Not possible really (or worth your time), but I think you might see a different picture emerge if you monitor the price of an item over its life-time, at a shop?

On 5/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

that will not be enough to kill a DHR any time soon. If ridden as intended, the trail would do tyre in long before any tar would. Enjoy the rides with your kiddo. I ride with my 5 y.o. as well and that is much more valuable to me than potentially having to replace some rubber every now and then because of it.

8 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

You just missed their sale. Could have got R30 off your purchase. Prices are up all over and we have to reward those suppliers offering better prices (by buying there) and avoid the expensive ones.

Use the net to scout around on price and maximise on shops offering sale prices.

I agree, use the net or phone around. I used to feel Cyclelab were expensive but they have become my go to for some odds and ends....