Ali express purchases

RedKross

Does it help to know someone with an import license? will this have any positive impact on import duty costs that one would normally expect to pay?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

There isn't a China address for AGS though hence his question. Although I see that they have a Hong Kong option which might work..

I use Hong Kong address. Check both when you select the address. See which is cheaper to courier to SA.

What people don't realise about AGS, they clear customs for you, debit your car. Then it arrives at your door. You are allowed three shipments per year with customs (they use your ID number to clear in SA), then you need to register with SARS as an importer.

3 minutes ago, RedKross said:

Does it help to know someone with an import license? will this have any positive impact on import duty costs that one would normally expect to pay?

It won't.

Edited by Martin PJ

1 minute ago, Martin PJ said:

It won't, you allowed three items per year with SARS. They track with your ID number. After three items, you need a SARS import license.

I'm on shipment number 4 with AGS for the year and have had no issues with SARS. (touch wood)(

My 2 cents worth.

Stay away from SAPO. With them being on the verge of collapse, the likelihood of one ever receiving anything via them is zero.

2 minutes ago, thebob said:

I'm on shipment number 4 with AGS for the year and have had no issues with SARS. (touch wood)(

Risky, it may hurt when you ship those new wheels and they won't release without a code. It's not easy to get a code, long process.

6 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

My 2 cents worth.

Stay away from SAPO. With them being on the verge of collapse, the likelihood of one ever receiving anything via them is zero.

Thus far SAPO for me is 100 percent reliable. Just takes long. I agree with you that at some point they will collapse and whatever is in the pipeline will be lost. So I only use for cheap, low risk items. Would not ship anything expensive via SAPO.

Aliexpress seller does cover the risk of shipping, however, I normally allow items to expire the warranty period as SAPO always does deliver in the end and I feel bad about claiming refund, when I know the item will arrive.

Edited by Martin PJ

3 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

Risky, it may hurt when you ship those new wheels and they won't release without a code. It's not easy to get a code, long process.

Not really unless they have changed the process recently. I got mine just before COVID. Went to the Customs office at OR Tambo, submitted the forms, got my importers code a week or two later.

2 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Not really unless they have changed the process recently. I got mine just before COVID. Went to the Customs office at OR Tambo, submitted the forms, got my importers code a week or two later.

I stand corrected. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, thebob said:

You get access to their local addresses for wherever you are buying from. So if I buy something in Germany I buy it as myself with local billing address, but with the AGS German address and they forward to South Africa

One thing to be aware of. If you ship it to SA from Europe or UK the seller deducts their d8mestic VAT or sales tax from the chat and you pay VAT here.

If you use AGS and they ship to their domestic address, you pay VAT there and again here. 20% makes a difference. I only used AGS for stuff that they won't ship to SA.

3 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

Yes, I have ordered many wheelsets. It is worth taking a chance. Look for seller with many sales and good reviews. When the wheel arrives, check everything thoroughly and highlight problems immediately. If it is carbon, check for weaknesses, issues on the rims. I have had good experience with refunds if there are problems. One seller sent me a new wheel six months later when I picked up an issue.

I wouldn't buy an aluminum wheel from Aliexpress. I think they are too cheap / look a bit light.

There are various hubs, something like Novatec or more expensive are pretty good.

It may be worthwhile to get an Aramex global shopper account and courier the items, you will pay VAT and import duties on them when they arrive (however you ship them). Will be less than 20 percent of the cost of the items. For more expensive items, I use Aramex and it takes about 2 to 3 weeks.

Ok, so how does the Aramex global work? I see on some of the items you can choose Aramex as an option but what confuses me: You register on Aramex Global and create an account and then when choosing Aramex on Ali you pay based on quantity. Am I not able to enter my Aramex Global details on Ali's website and then only pay one fee for delivery through Aramex? 

7 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Ok, so how does the Aramex global work? I see on some of the items you can choose Aramex as an option but what confuses me: You register on Aramex Global and create an account and then when choosing Aramex on Ali you pay based on quantity. Am I not able to enter my Aramex Global details on Ali's website and then only pay one fee for delivery through Aramex? 

Aramex Global is totally separate from Aliexpress, there is no integration. So you choose whatever shipping method that Aliexpress offers, I normally put the cheapest shipping method (free if possible). Then put the AGS address as my own address.

5 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

Aramex Global is totally separate from Aliexpress, there is no integration. So you choose whatever shipping method that Aliexpress offers, I normally put the cheapest shipping method (free if possible). Then put the AGS address as my own address.

Oooooo, ok, now I get you, thank you very much.

So you ship from Ali to AGS and then once it arrives there then you ship with AGS to SA, ok get you. That is a super cool concept as I have lots of stuff that I've wanted to order but because of SAPO decided to hold off on placing anything. 

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Edited by Mongoose!

Just now, RobertWhitehead said:

Oooooo, ok, now I get you, thank you very much.

So you ship from Ali to AGS and then once it arrives there then you ship with AGS to SA, ok get you. That is a super cool concept as I have lots of stuff that I've wanted to order but because of SAPO decided to hold off on placing anything. Gewonder wanneer jy gaan vra oor Ali. Nou kan ek parte soek nè