Tom Kay

Hi all,

Was robbed this morning by 2 men, 1 with a gun and the other a knife, while riding on the spruit.

It was around 8:30 at the bottom of Old Parks Sports Ground, just before the dog jumps.

Took my phone and Garmin watch, didn't take my bike.

Don't suggest riding around here right now as they probably gonna rob again as they know they can get away with it.

8 hours ago, Nickolas said:

Hi all,

Was robbed this morning by 2 men, 1 with a gun and the other a knife, while riding on the spruit.

It was around 8:30 at the bottom of Old Parks Sports Ground, just before the dog jumps.

Took my phone and Garmin watch, didn't take my bike.

Don't suggest riding around here right now as they probably gonna rob again as they know they can get away with it.

Sorry man, someone I know was robbed there on Saturday too.. 😡 

Reported to the relevant people. Let's see what happens regarding safety there.

Have attached a screenshot of where it happened. There are big bushes to cover them when they rob you here. Don't think it's worth riding this path anymore because you very secluded and no one can see or hear you.ScreenShot2023-05-25at8_14_35PM.jpg.03b9cf8b98c338f1d8465132e43499be.jpg

So sorry to hear about this. That section has become more inhabited and filthy. No longer felt safe there.

Came across a guy under one of those bridges, looking ready to beat someone up with some metal object. Luckily we were two so he relaxed his stance once he realised he didn’t stand a good chance.

We started bypassing that section by getting off the trail on Peter Place, then turning left onto William Nicol, right onto Republic, left onto Garden road. That joins up with Jan Smuts (Old Parks on your left).

Edited by Red Bird

We have also avoided it for about a year and a bit now. We take a similar route but ride through saints to avoid William Nicol.

Used to love that section.

If you go up to Emmerentia that section below the dam wall is also not safe during the week especially that little wooden bridge by the split to go to Alberts or Emmerentia. A guy in our group had an incident there.

From their FB page,

" Vumacam
’s SafeCity initiative to support Jozi Trails and City Parks and Zoo in making Braamfontein Spruit safer
South Africa’s largest privately-owned CCTV network, Vumacam, has partnered with Jozi Trails NPC and Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo to make the Braamfontein Spruit a safer place for outdoor enthusiasts using the many trails along the spruit for hiking, running and cycling.

Is it possible to see the camera footage? I'm sure they would have walked past some cameras and gotten their faces on camera? Also to track where they came from and where they went to since there are cameras.