Why no bicycle delivery services in South Africa

MilkManMike

21 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

By commute to work and back, I assume you mean by bicycle?

Yeah it will be nice to save money, but I honestly think that if I like motorbikes more, I may just sell my mountain bike and keep the money. MTB is extremely overpriced and I am sick of buying blatantly overpriced products.

For the same price as mtb shoes, you can buy moto boots, same goes for pretty much every other type of clothing. It also appears that it is cheaper to replace the drivetrain on a motorbike (sprockets and chain). A gx cassette is around 4k, and an xx1 chain is about 2k. Paying 6k for that is a complete ripoff.

Honestly it looks like for the same price as a well specced enduro bike (MTB) you can go out and buy something like an r6, which looks way more fun (and can serve as a mode of transport). As much as I love riding mountain bikes, at the current rate it is costing me, I don't think it's sustainable, especially when I will have more expenses when studying.

If you are looking for a commuter for those distances I would not recommend a high end MTB. Either a SS or a old 9spd MTB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Hairy said:

If you are looking for a commuter for those distances I would not recommend a high end MTB. Either a SS or a old 9spd MTB

Yeah for sure. A singlespeed wouldn't work to get to my house, as it is on the top of a pretty nasty hill. So I guess a 9spd would work, but then I also feel like I could put some of that money towards a cheapish first moto... tough choices for sure.

It's also more convenient to ride a moto to friends houses and school than it is on a bicycle, because you don't arrive all sweaty - cause all I would probably wear is some short boots, gloves, a jacket and a helmet. (I already carry enough *** in my schoolbag, so a change of clothes isn't viable) 

Thanks again for the input, and whatever it comes down to, I will have to buy an alternate form of transport to commute, as my current MTB pedals quite badly (maxxgrip tires and 160/160 no lockouts) and even though it is insured, I want to minimize the risk of bike theft.