BB92 24mm (Press fit) advice

TheoG

7 hours ago, love2fly said:

Rather go with this and either Bike Addict or Price Match at Cyclelab ..cost me R590 yesterday. Been riding one for 5 years and 13000km. I just change bearings.Screenshot_20230615_092008_Chrome.jpg.06d6520d2a93ec0c677308a42a5c837d.jpg

That’s GXP and these things don’t last.

Best to go next time is the Token 24 mm that comes with the GXP adapter.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, love2fly said:

Doesn't the Sram have 22 and 24 and the plastic insert on the DS to bring it down?

The bearing on the GXP aside of the Sram BB has a smaller ID 

50 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Don't last? Not by what I've experienced.

10 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Don't last? Not by what I've experienced.

It’s the worst BB on the market bar none.

And  I’ve replaced quite a number of BB’s over many decades.

24 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

It’s the worst BB on the market bar none.

And  I’ve replaced quite a number of BB’s over many decades.

One BB 4 years and over 12,000km. I weigh 110 kg and ride quite big gears.

I guess we're going to have to disagree...especially as it hasn't been on the market for decades ..🙂

9 minutes ago, love2fly said:

One BB 4 years and over 12,000km. I weigh 110 kg and ride quite big gears.

I guess we're going to have to disagree...especially as it hasn't been on the market for decades ..🙂

I’ve never said it has been on the market for decades.

Ive been working on bikes for 35 years plus.

And it’s a well known fact that the SRAM GXP BB is the worst BB ever to see lighy of day.

I often still wonder what they were thinking.

No disrespect to what you own, but alas.

Trying to  give  you advice that could benefit you, but it would appear that was a mistake 👍🏼

Edited by Wyatt Earp

5 hours ago, Baron said:

Used 2 Sram GXP BB for 18 000 km and both was not to bad when it was replaced. 

Not to be pedantic but each one for 9000 or 2 of them for 18000 each?

What kind of conditions were they ridden in? MTB or road?

6 hours ago, Baron said:

Used 2 Sram GXP BB for 18 000 km and both was not to bad when it was replaced. 

I've never needed to replace an actual BB and just service the bearings twice and next time replace bearings. I bought a spare BB last week just for the plastic insert which I see you can buy seperate in Europe, not sure if available in SA. I could get one made up but the setup cost means the first one costs around R800 and the rest like R10 each...

11 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I got a Token in at the moment and when it started creaking I was concerned but when I opened it up the bearings was still perfectly good, smooth with zero play.

After I cleaned & greased its 100% now.  My LBS installed it for me a few months ago and since I didn't know the Token brand at the time I was a bit skeptical.  The LBS didn't torque my crank properly and it came loose after only about 30km, hence I was even more skeptical.

But the Token BB seem to be OK regardless.  Let see how long before it start irritating me again with some creaking ... 🤪😂

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I got a Token in at the moment and when it started creaking I was concerned but when I opened it up the bearings was still perfectly good, smooth with zero play.

After I cleaned & greased its 100% now.  My LBS installed it for me a few months ago and since I didn't know the Token brand at the time I was a bit skeptical.  The LBS didn't torque my crank properly and it came loose after only about 30km, hence I was even more skeptical.

But the Token BB seem to be OK regardless.  Let see how long before it start irritating me again with some creaking ... 🤪😂

GXP is very flawed in its design.

When Truvativ introduced it, the design was groundbreaking, and then Shimano responded with their Hollowtec, to this day trusted and proven.

The GXP takes all the load bearing on the non drive side, which wears that bearing prematurely quick.That and the fact that the tolerances on that bearing is not great.

The Token BB uses 24 mm ID bearings on both sides and then supply a beautifully machined adapter with very tight tolerances. The insert sits internally and spreads the load across both non and non drive side bearings more evenly.

IMG_3330.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

GXP is very flawed in its design.

When Truvativ introduced it, the design was groundbreaking, and then Shimano responded with their Hollowtec, to this day trusted and proven.

The GXP takes all the load bearing on the non drive side, which wears that bearing prematurely quick.That and the fact that the tolerances on that bearing is not great.

The Token BB uses 24 mm ID bearings on both sides and then supply a beautifully machined adapter with very tight tolerances. The insert sits internally and spreads the load across both non and non drive side bearings more evenly.

IMG_3330.jpeg

Mine do not have that spacer/adapter .... 🤷‍♂️ (as far as I know anyway)

If the bearing ID is 24mm both sides why would you need a spacer/adapter, sorry maybe I'm completely misunderstanding ...

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Mine do not have that spacer/adapter .... 🤷‍♂️ (as far as I know anyway)

If the bearing ID is 24mm both sides why would you need a spacer/adapter, sorry maybe I'm completely misunderstanding ...

Never mind, just realized you need the spacer if you have a GXP crankset, I dont however since its 24mm both sides, crank spindle & BB.

Edited by TheoG

On 6/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, TheoG said:

Any one have experience using these:  https://bicyclegarage.co.za/products/pressfit-bottom-bracket-86-92-sram-compatible-black

Please share your experience good or bad.  It seems like a good idea to have the bearings easily serviceable and replaceable.  I did however saw some reviews of the threaded part snapping off.

So before pulling the trigger I would like to get the input of all the bikehub experts out there .... :)

Best PF92 solution I've found so far. Install the shell once and forget about it. Change out bearings when they get rough.