Taking my Hyrax to Whistler?

Renier

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some big riding in the US back in 2018 when I worked there for a summer as a MTB instructor. Best thing I can recommend is to rent a bike. No extra charge on luggage, no ball aches of traveling around and trying to fit your bike into an uber/taxi no worries on insurance, if the bike breaks or there is something wrong you take it back and they fix it or swop the bike, no maintenance worries(overseas bike servicing prices are crazy!), none of this hassling to unbox your bike and breaking something by mistake or finding out that something broke on the way there, they will set you up with a bike you need. They sometimes aren't the highest or up to date bikes but they will do the job, you'll have fun. All you pack is a decent full face helmet and your riding gear. if you ride cleats then pack your pedals.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0

On 8/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, Baracuda said:

I have done a few weeks in Morzine and surrounding bike parks that are similar to Whistler and can't but reiterate the advice above many times over.

Just to add - the schlep and cost of getting your own bike there, flights costs, shuttle costs, services before, services after, new tires, brake pads, ... when you work it out, is pretty similar to hiring a DH bike or freeride bike there. What I did not realize before is that you fit more than a year of SA riding into a week. Here we ride tokai etc once or twice a week, say 4-6 downhill runs a month on average. In Morzine, you do 8-12 long runs a day. So you will accumulate a year+ of wear and tear on your bike in a week. I go through a set of tires in a year here, last year in Morzine, I went through new DHFs on a rental bike in a week.

This amount of riding obviously requires next level hand strength and upper body strength. It is a different kind of fitness to SA riding. Hand strengthening, push-ups, sit-ups, swimming, rowing-machine etc.

Invest in protection, knees, elbows, arms, shoulders, hips and a full face helmet. The rental stuff is not the most comfortable, but is often cheap and often just comes with the rental bike.

Shop around on the bike rentals, if one spends a little time and book a few months in advance, one can save quite a bit.

Lastly, as noted above, start slow and ride within yourself. Take a day or two to get your eye in and to get the suspension dialed.

But jealous as hell, hope you have a fantastic trip

That is another aspect to consider, since tyres are not exactly cheap to begin with :D.
I was thinking of buying some extra kit whilst I'm in the States before my trip, since some of the stuff is cheaper there than in SA.
I'll probably also need to get a DH rated full face, since mine is the enduro one from Leatt with the removable chin bar.

Thanks, I hope this all works out, it all depends on me going over for work and the company not minding me taking a holiday afterwards.

On 8/21/2023 at 9:43 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

It's no worries going on your own. You'll make friends quickly. just be a friendly saffer. And legit ask a crew of similar ability. Hey I'm here on my own. Can I ride with you guys?

Yes those spring loaded boys. I start using that about 6 months out to try and build up hand strength. Also on the topic of hands. Don't buy new gloves. Rather take nicely worn in gloves that you know won't give you blisters.

I'd also suggest riding with a hydration pack that has a built in back protector. That takes care of 3 things. Water, spares, protection

Can't help you in that last one. 

On the riding. Don't just send a trail blind. The trails do turn into a blur of fun but do at least 1 sighting lap before you bam a trail. Also if you do stop on trail pull right off. You NEVER stop in the trail. Ever.

Thanks, yeah, I have to say, SA guys generally manage to be friendly, so I'll channel my inner saffer :D.
It's cool that MTB'ers are generally friendly and keen to help, so that should make it easier :).

I have some of those, I think I'll just start using them now to build up over time.
I need to seriously step up my fitness game, though. I've been working on getting pedal fit for SA, but that isn't helping much for the DH oriented stuff.

I have a Deuter Hydration pack with a back plate in. Not expressly a back protector, but it has saved my skin (literally) and back several times. You think that will be fine?

Good advice on sighting it first, I really don't want to ruin my trip on being over eager.
I'll also make sure to pull off before slowing down. I don't want to be that guy on a fails clip where someone sends a jump into you...

On 8/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, Baracuda said:

(Lots of last notes :) ) - but when it comes to bikes, the focus is different to here - it is all about geometry, suspension and brakes. Weight and drive train really don't matter. On my first trip to Morzine, I initially hired a fancy carbon bike, but after the brakes packed up, ended up getting a second rental down the road - an alu Giant  with an arb collection parts on it, but with decent fox suspension and Shimano Saint brakes (and big fat DHF/DHRs). The french dude running the shop made me ride around and bounce off pavements until he was happy my "suspension is balanced". It was brilliant and all that is required for a DH sled.

Yeah, that is very different to what we're used to.
That said, I have never really subscribed to the light weight school of thought. I love my ALU bike and wheels, but I'm no expert, so that's just my feeling.
I'm running Code RSC brakes on my Hyrax, for what it's worth, though by the sounds of everyone's suggestions, that's a bit of a moot point.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, Paul Ruinaard said:

Points 3 to 8 - read them and listen.

FWIW I havent done Morzine but from what I can tell from mates who have done both, Whistler is just next level compared and the trails are much better groomed than even in France.

I am not a DH beast but as per what was said the bikes are so much bigger and longer and more squishy and the rubber so soft and grippy that you cannot really expect to be accustomed to it straight away. I literally had to adpat how i rode. You spend so little time pedalling and so much tome standing that you will not be accustioned to it.

Secondly IMO the way they work is additive in Whistler. What I mean is you start on the easier trails and then justt let it flow, however the trail  builders have made the trails in such a way they almost teach you at the top in a smaller form what will be coming at the bottom when you speed up and things get bigger. So you start off doing things at the top that are easier, walls, gaps etc that will be much bigger and gnarlier on the bottom of the trail you are on but because you have started small it builds your confidence up and then you start to feel comfortable. So you learn on the way down and feel more confident to get off the brakes. Thats at least on the inter trails. 

FWIW: A Line is so big and the likelihood of hurting yourself so high which will screw up your trip i just never even entertained it.

Like was said - get as much braking as you can as its super steep and you get going very quickly very soon and then you will panic quite fast. Alos get all the body armour and protection - you can hire it all. 

FWIW I was there in September the weekend was like the last of the season and it was super hot up there so you can get very high temperatures - you can dehydrate. Also note when i was there everything was super safe and really well groomed - All lips are marked with flags on eaither side and the trails are groomed so you really trust what you are seeing. I found the braking stutters to be minimal in Whistler - they literally groom the trails. You can imagine what a seasons riding does.

Enjoy - it will ruin you because i would say it ws really close to the ultimate

I was originally planning on going to Whistler in a few years with the idea that I could level up my jumping and riding so that A-line is achievable by the end of the trip, but this opportunity came up and now I'm rolling with it and seeing what happens.

4 hours ago, Gregg Blomeyer said:

Renier you should consider overstroking your Hyrax when you get rhe coil. You can get 150mm travel on the rear.

Actually you can get 160mm of travel without any risks. You could probably push it a bit further, but it may be at the expense of suspension kinematics etc.

Not many people know, but the only difference between the 160mm slakline frame and the 140mm hyrax frame is simply the shock stroke. 

8 minutes ago, Renier said:

I was originally planning on going to Whistler in a few years with the idea that I could level up my jumping and riding so that A-line is achievable by the end of the trip, but this opportunity came up and now I'm rolling with it and seeing what happens.

The progression happens so quickly there you should be cleaning A-Line by day 2, it is amazingly well designed for that.

43 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Actually you can get 160mm of travel without any risks. You could probably push it a bit further, but it may be at the expense of suspension kinematics etc.

Not many people know, but the only difference between the 160mm slakline frame and the 140mm hyrax frame is simply the shock stroke. 

According to Barry from Pyga, you can make a Slakline into a Hyrax but not vice versa

5 hours ago, Gregg Blomeyer said:

Renier you should consider overstroking your Hyrax when you get rhe coil. You can get 150mm travel on the rear.

Yeah, I'm actually considering it.
Maybe it can be adjusted internally on the shock by tuning the spacers so that I can change it back later if I want. I'll ask the guys at Knipe.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, TitusTi said:

Have started the planning for my next Whistler trip, listen to what is being said. 

A-Line is big, find a video of the Moonbootr on A-Line, it may provide perspective. GLC drops at the end is about 5-6 foot, all of it is rideable but not blind if you only ride here. Freight Train is a big jump line, cool to go watch the pros hitting it, Crab Apple is a step up from that.

But yes, these descents are longer amd bigger than anything we are used to here, 10-12 runs in a day and you are wrecked.

When is your trip? See if you can get a run down Top Of The World.

If the trail is marked double black or red, stay off of it, made that mistake once.

I've seen the jumps on Dwayne Johnson, no way I'd hit a Red jump line like that :D

If things work out like I'm hoping, I'll be there in early July, so I hope Top Of the World will be open.

2 hours ago, thebob said:

According to Barry from Pyga, you can make a Slakline into a Hyrax but not vice versa

Maybe he was mistaken because you can easily swap from a longer stroke shock to a shorter stroke shock and vice versa.

As a matter of fact, my frame was owned by a PYGA employee, and it started life as a hyrax, then was turned into a slakline before I purchased it. I have also done it to several other hyrax framesets. Just be sure to up the fork travel to 170mm.

On 8/21/2023 at 12:05 PM, Headshot said:

Get hold of some of the Canadian Whistler local Youtubers and get them to show you around. That way we can all experience your trip when you appear in their video(s) Please!

I have done a small amount of riding in the alps. The descents are crazy long so I echo what others have said. Handpump even on easier flow trails is a thing. Everything is steeper and longer than anything you've seen here unless you regularly ride down Sani Pass. 

Haha, I'll see what I can do, maybe I can become internet famous then :P
I'm going to have to work on my fitness a lot :o

On 8/21/2023 at 12:49 PM, Shebeen said:

I did a ski season there 20odd years ago, and hung around for the start of summer.

I am no DH rider, so didn't even go close to the bike park. (I tried A-line on my snowboard, it was scary as f#$$%^. spent the whole run trying not to kill myself)

BUT I did buy a FS mongoose for $50 at the annual swapmeet organised by these guys and then did their loonie ride on it. the "mountain" is a slick business but loads of solid people who live there and share the stoke.

https://www.facebook.com/WhistlerORCA

They will for sure help you out with queries. Just say you're from africa and greg minnaar's cousin has a farm next to your sister-in-law.

Thanks, I will definitely give them a shout for some advice!

47 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Maybe he was mistaken because you can easily swap from a longer stroke shock to a shorter stroke shock and vice versa.

As a matter of fact, my frame was owned by a PYGA employee, and it started life as a hyrax, then was turned into a slakline before I purchased it. I have also done it to several other hyrax framesets. Just be sure to up the fork travel to 170mm.

The Hyrax and the Slakline is the exact same frame. That's how I've always understood it. The only difference is the stroke on the suspension, which then changes wheelbase, angles and BB height as a direct result.  

On 8/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

Nice, and WOW, dont forget the gopro!!

I agree on getting or renting a bike there. Maybe contemplate buying a used DH bike there that you could resell there or here. Start looking online, pinkbike, ebay and some bikeshops in the areas you gonna be at.

Haha, I actually need a new action cam for the trip, I'm still using an old Hero 3+ and I'd love somthing with stabilisation in, but I'll see what I can find, else I'll just use what I have.
Luckily I have some time in the states beforehand, so I might have the chance to buy something.